Gameloft IAP Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scarypharaoh, Feb 2, 2011.

1. UncleLimey

UncleLimey Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Because he is probably using a jailbroke iPhone and can't get a pirate copy

2. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    Actually doesnt jailbroken devices have problems buying in-app???
    I think i had that problem a while ago when playing IMO, though when i bought tilt to live HD everything was fine.. So for JB users i think its up in the air if itll work or not

3. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World

The reason why this is bad is: it essentially changes from offline to online DRM.

Either way you cannot simply reinstall the game offline from your iTunes library anymore.
    You have to go online to verify with the IAP that you own the game.

If Gameloft or any other dev with build in "full game IAP" app decides to pull the plug on his app, you a left with a worthless pile of bits.

which changed your ownership-status from "owning" to "rental".

4. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    While I'm not even remotely interested in this game, i think Gameloft's way of combating piracy is welcome, and I would appreciate this in future games as well.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #25 squarezero, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    All the IAP does is unlock the full game. Period. It's the same as buying the game from the App Store, just a few extra clicks.

After completing the lite version, I can say a few things:

*This is an action/adventure game, with no character customization or stats, so the comparison with Aralon doesn't hold. In fact, it's like a less-RPG version of Ravensword. (they even "borrowed" the sheep hearding mission.)

*The game seems to be running on the Spider-Man engine. The graphics are good if a bit cartoonish, animation is decent. I wish that camera scrolling were a bit smoother, but otherwise the controls are good.

*Voice acting and writing are a big step up for Gameloft. Now, I know that that doesn't mean much, but I would say that it's at the level of a middling console game. It helps that the story borrows as much from the original Star Wars as it does from other videogames.

*As suspected, the game has open exploration (and side-quests) but it's not open world per se. Areas are quite a bit smaller than Aralon, with short loading times in between. They use a great deal of fog to tackle Aralon's pop-in issue.

I'm picking up the full as soon as it hits the App Store. It should be made clear, though: this is not an RPG and it's not comparable to Aralon. It does look like a fun and well made Zelda-style action adventure, which is a good thing in my book.

6. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Your not renting the game. How often do you reinstall and app, anyways? Twice a year, maybe? And going online to register it simply means that you tap a "restore purchases" button. This isn't restrictive DRM, it's just a new selling scheme. I doubt Gameloft is going to default and I'd imagine they'd give the IAP to everyone rather than no one if the did.

7. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #27 dyscode, Feb 2, 2011
    Depending on the excistance of 3rd party service to determining the usage of an item is renting.

That you cannot SELL it anymore is also a quality not found in modern online distribution. But this is more similar to the circumstance that you cannot sell your yesterdays meal you ate, also.

8. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I like the IAP to unlock the whole game.
    This give you a chance to play it for a little bit, instead of buying it first and you don't like it..
    Cause I've seen enough people bitching about a game that they bought, and did not like. so this is a great way to promote and sell the game.

Mmm... I guess the JB people, are out of luck, since they need to buy it now, and most of the time, it won't work, since JB is using a sandbox user acct. (at least a year ago... don't know now, since I just have an Ipad)

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Legally you never buy a game: you license it, agreeing to abide by the publisher's terms. Back in the disk days the agreement was based on trust, but clearly piracy and used game sales killed that trust, which is why publishers find the downloadable route so appealing.

Compared to Ubisoft's online validation scheme (now abandoned), this doesn't seem that onerous. Obviously it would be great if you could buy the game outright (for the reasons dyscode mentioned). It would also be great if clothing didn't have bulky security devices at the store, if traffic lights didn't have cameras to catch violators, etc. But that's the world we live in.

10. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    This...

And this.

I love the idea behind the IAP but this 2 are the real problems.

11. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    /mindblown
    I like the IAP thing. Is this not a universal app though?

12. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    the IAP is better as a "no need to make a lite version" instead of a anti piracy measure because we all know IAP can be cracked too. Also its bout time gameloft dropped older gen support, ill be expecting to see a lot of quality games this year from gameloft

13. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    It will probably stop the majority of kiddie piraters for a while though, since they are solely dependent on what they can google or torrent.

Hope the HD comes very soon. I will probably download this to try now at least, well tonight, just to see. Then wait for the iPad version they already said is coming soon. If history repeats, not universal.

14. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Has it been confirmed that Sacred Odyssey has a restore purchases button?

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Finally an anti-piracy method from GL. Very excited to download the full game tonight!

16. COHagan23

COHagan23 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    +1 for making a solid point

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Gameloft has never even hinted at doing that before, and most people don't replay a game after they've already deleted it..

18. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    #38 Serian, Feb 2, 2011
    Are IAPs always redownloadable for free? Would you just click the "Buy full version" button and it wouldn't charge you?

I guess I will just get Infinity Blade instead.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Glad to see this thread is off to a great start. *sigh*

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #40 squarezero, Feb 2, 2011
    Except for the fact that you have never "owned" games, even in cartridge/disk form. Folks, read your licensing agreements.

And yes, IAPs are always re-downloadable for free. The only issue is if the game is removed from the App Store and you happen to delete it from your device and reinstall it. Don't expect that will happen with Gameloft.

Somebody asked about the combat earlier. It's pretty simple: mash the sword button to attack, with multiple hits producing combos, mash the shield button to roll away (which is weird, since you have an actual shield in hand). Unlike HoS2, though, there's much more to this game than combat, though, at least as far as you can tell from the lite.