Iphone- the new golden generation of gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Aug 1, 2010.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    People cite early period of gaming- when you had consoles around like the Mega drive, the SNES and soforth as a golden period of gaming. Reason being- it wasn't expensive to create the games- result being a mass lot of different and original games being made. Roll on the years of expensive costs of creating games, and restricted companies only releasing games on systems.. we now have the iphone where any 3rd party can create games, and the games are much more relatively cheaper. The result being; as the sheer number of apps in the app store, and the number of games being released each day, not to mention the leaps and bounds in creative titles (similar to the golden gen). Is it fanboish to maybe suggest now is a new golden generation of gaming?

2. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    In answer to your question, it is probably fanboyish to suggest that. Quality over quantity.

3. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Early generation of consoles was Atari 2600, Intellvision, and Odyssey 2.

The ones you mentioned were much later. Just FYI.

4. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Not necessarily. Think of all the millions pumped into movie games. Most of those games suck. Just because a company spends millions on a game doesn't mean its going to be a good game. Sure if the dev puts 10 grand into his app, and then tries to make the same app with 500 bucks, there will be a difference.

5. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Movie games only take up a small percentage of total games. I don't recall mentioning money in this either.

6. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    To sum up-sorry.

People see the golden gen of gaming before the ps1 due to:
    1) sheer number of games
    2) the romantic idea anyone in their basement could create a game( not entirely same iPhone-but large number of indies)
    3) because of the vastly lowered costs compared to say a title on a modern gen console-it allowed far more creativity-creating a diverse set of games)

7. swishinj

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    movie games were just an example and that percentage might be larger than you think......

I was thinking on how he said quality. The more money you spend on a game on bug fixes and the like the higher its quality will be

oh and thums how is creating a game in your basement romantic ?

8. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    This being said-as I wrote this I Forgot probably the pc satisfies this to an extent- particularly with flash-and the mass number of flash games.

9. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    not everything is to be taken literally. besides, one word has various meanings

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Speaking of which, god I need a lot of golden bricks for my temple in Godville. Only at 0.9% :(

11. swishinj

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    ya i laugh at all the losers i know who won't buy any apps because you can get one for free that's the problem. So many apps are free, people never discover apps like hook champ, soosiz, bryce manor.