Eternal Legacy, can it get any worst?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gospel9, Dec 21, 2010.

1. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Finally bought myself to finish Eternal Legacy (purchased on launch day), just when I thought things coudldn't possibly get worst, I was presented with a 15 second ending that not only has nothing to show, but it is the first time in a RPG in history that has 0 (ZERO, meaning not a single one) line of dialogue / text.

I wish I have something to give away as a spoiler, but apparently there's absolutely nothing. I feel relieved to finally have deleted the game.

2. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    er....that is horrible ...
    somethings i also feel really puzzled that why there are soooooooooo many shits in the top 100? and people seems extremely tolerant to them!

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    "so many shits"? lol

Anyway, the game has an average rating of 4.5/5 stars, so it can't be that bad.

4. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    not referring to eternal legacy, i even did not play it.
    but things like doodle jump-Christmas ver, link'em, and that silly unicorn series, really feel bad about them = =

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and give my opinion on eternal legacy:
    it's ok! Sure, it's by no means perfect- annoying equip system, horrible voice acting, slow progressing and pretty cliche story and a low difficulty level

but Im having a pretty good time. It has a nice feel to it, and I've had fun playing through for some reason or another. Maybe it has something to do with the fact it's the first turn based RPG that I haven't found to get too difficult an hour in? (oh, rimelands also pwned)

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This games better than chaos rings. No idea what you're talking about. If it was terrible, you wouldn't have played it until the end. More like 'can it get any worse' than people who can't even take the time to get the title of their threads right. Qft.

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

@backtothis
    was chaos rings more difficult than this? If so, by how much?
    Cus I generally suck at Turn based RPGs- steampirates broke me completely for example.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Honestly I'd say it's about the same. The combat is less complex actually in chaos rings. The storyline only lasts 4-5 hours though. Then you're supposed to replay it 3 more times with different characters to unlock the final boss. It's a chore in my opinion.

For excellent tbrpgs try ash or crimson gem saga. They are pretty difficult at times, but they're truly very fun to play. Or you can replay rimelands lol..

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Haha, that's because SteamPirates is ridiculously difficult. I've played tons of RPG's over the years, and I couldn't help but find myself running low on HP left and right.

Chaos Rings is so much more noob friendly. It basically lets you set the difficulty by allowing you to pick what level range the monsters will be whenever you start a new dungeon. It's a great way to let you challenge yourself without it being too difficult.

10. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #10 gospel9, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    You have got to be kidding me. Better than Chaos Rings? That is exactly the kind of response Gameloft wants. The only reason that got me to actually finishing the game was for no other reason than to see if it actually gets better considering that I did paid $7 for it. But man was I wrong. The only thing I was glad the whole time was that the game ended on probably the 4th hour. Thank god it was short as if it was any longer I wouldn't be able to stand it.

Chaos Rings is a Chore? No wonder since you never played it. You can turn off all the battles in CR, if you wanted to. You can even set your own difficulty aside from the last bosses (there will be a few surprises waiting at the end, just to make sure your work gets paid off).

THE ENTIRE ETERNAL LEGACY GAME IS A CHORE. Sword Rush, Sword Rush, Sword Rush, Ultimate, another member spamming their most powerful attack, and another Mass Heal + Large Mana Potion. This is Everything you do in this game. The whole point of having a 3rd party member is entirely useless, as they all function exactly the same.

If you want to read about my impressions and comparisons for EL to Chaos Rings, go see Eternal Legacy's main thread.

Now that I have finished the game, I can finally conclude that Eternal Legacy is borderline trash coming from Gameloft. It is really as if they did all the work JUST to get a decent first impression. They got the screenshots right. They got the character models looking up to date. They copied some design cues here and there. It looks like a decent game from the outside, but for those of us who played more would find it almost a disgrace to the whole genre. I would go as far as to say even picking up FF1 or FF2 would be a better investment than this trash (and those games at $8.99 no less). But there are better titles out there, like Chaos Rings, and Crimson Gem Saga, if you haven't gotten those already.

Initially I was under the impression that investing $7 to support Gameloft for a FF type game was a good idea; turns out it had become quite the opposite. Everyone should know about just how terrible this game really is, and we need to stop supporting games like this in the future. Don't buy this game. Don't support RPGs don't don't even have an ending.

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Look in this thread and the main thread. Find me 3 people that agree with you out of the hundred of posts. Thanks. Wait, I can't even find one in this thread. kthx.

I'm pretty sure if I own every rpg that has ever been mentioned on TA, I have a pretty good say on what constitutes a good iOS rpg.

12. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    I've read gospel9's impressions on EL in a couple of other threads and whereas I think he may be a *tad* harsh about EL, overall he definitely is right in that there are better turn based RPG's on iOS. I myself initially gave a pretty good review for EL after playing for a few hours because I was having fun with it at the time, but I probably should have waited to review it until I had completely finished it.

Chaos Rings is my favorite JRPG on iOS so far probably followed by Crimson Gem Saga. With there not being very many other turn based RPGs with decent production values (besides action rpgs which I'm not as into) I probably gave a blind eye to many of EL's faults.

There are some things to like about Eternal Legacy in my opinion, but it is mostly forgettable. Its one of those games that, while I'm playing it, I'm having a pretty decent time, but when I'm not playing it, I don't think of it being particularly memorable and the story and dialogue is really laughable and cliched. For example, when a particularly major spoiler event happens midway through the game, even though the story is supposed to make the player feel remorse or sadness - I laughed because it was so... expected.

Anyway, I have a tendency for very long posts because I like to type. But overall I agree with gospel9 even though I think he is giving the game a little bit of a harder time than it may deserve. Then again, I haven't completed EL so he would be more of an authority on the game right now. Maybe I'll add to this thread my thoughts when I've actually completed the game, silly story, characterization, and all...

And I don't see how *anybody* could argue that Chaos Rings is the inferior game between the two. I mean.... come on?

13. rap8rap

rap8rap Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Thank God I registered on TA and saw your posts regarding EL.. I was about to buy the app (damn it's like FF on a different name), but after reading your comments on the game, not anymore..

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Never played EL, but my general opinion is: don't waste money on Gameloft stuff.

15. rap8rap

rap8rap Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Most Gameloft games I purchased were junk apps with high price tags.. But I was thinking of getting Dungeon Hunter HD and Dungeon Hunter 2 HD.. And since I'm an Assassin's Creed fan, I'm thinking of getting Altair's Chronicles too..

The only thing that stops me from purchasing is that they were made by Gameloft..

16. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I beat EL, and while the ending was shitty, it provided me with a bit of solid RPG goodness that few other iOS RPG's can. Yeah after a while you end up spamming the same shit over and over but it had a decent smooth feel to it. I'm not going to say it's the best iOS RPG out there, because I do think Chaos Rings is better. But not because Square made it and Gameloft made EL, it just feels better. I don't think that EL is a garbage game though. I had fun with it, and in the end that's all that matters. Gameloft makes rip-off games, no doubt about it. But at least they rip-off games I want to play on iOS. *shrugs*

17. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

#17 jak56, Dec 21, 2010
    this is pretty much exactly what i think about the game.
    thanks for the reply, i'l prolly pick up the game while it's on sale then :D
    As for replaying Rimelands...
    let me just say i'm a tester and leave it at that ;)

18. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    #18 ImLegend, Dec 21, 2010
    well say, to be fair, CR is great but not perfect, EL has its weakness but still has lot of fun to play.
    CR vs EL
    ======
    - CR all backgrounds are hand drawing, so most likely you enter a draw picture and exit to another one; EL are a full 3d render env, period.
    - CR doesn't contain "Fragment" like FFVII, but you can learn skills from monster; EL lets you chain up "Fragment" to do combo, e.g. first strike + counter atk + double atk + steal --> (x 2 = double atk) I do first bonus atk x 2 at the beginning of battle, I do counter atk whenever I got hit, because I chain up with double atk, I do counter atk x 2, plus steal item x 2... is it sth can be done in CR?
    - Summoning monster is missing in CR, EL has 4 type of summon monsters
    - CR only can has party of 2, EL has party of 3 and can switch & change amount 7 characters
    - Most of the CR special atk is simple change the color by repeating the same animation; EL do much better that each character has his/her own special/rage atk animations, and yes I enjoy to watch it., especially the GE-18 female robot and Master King bullet time one
    - CR reuse same env agin & again to do 4 different stories, EL map is way bigger than that.
    - No doubt story CR is much better than EL, however EL has all voice attach to the conversation even some of them are horrible.
    - BG music, I had no choice CR ftw

19. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I've played 3.5 hrs or so of this game. It's not perfect. It has it's faults. Faults typical to several Gameloft games. I don't think the story is bad though. It's not stellar, but it's better than not only the average Gameloft game, but it's above average when you take iOS gaming as a whole. Storytelling is the weakest element of the iOS platform, period. And I find the voice acting passable. No one would ever say it was great, or good, but it's certainly no worse than Galaxy of Fire 2.

I like this game. I don't competely love it, but I enjoy it though.

I'm not going to go into some long-winded wallOText debate, but count me in as another person who likes Eternal Legacy more than Chaos Rings.

20. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Gameloft are the worst kind of developer, for the most part. They take really good games and then make crappy, Chinese-like knockoffs that are most always mediocre, and then charge high prices for them. I refuse to give them any more money.