iOS becoming another PSP?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TapMad_D, Dec 22, 2010.

1. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    just heard Chrono Trigger is coming up soon. i played this game when i was young. it was a awesome game, just "was". i hate seeing those jap companies dump the old games onto ios platform even without big change on the visual presentation! if i want to revisit the classic games, i could run EMU on PSP, even on NDS. why need i play them on ios with the really nightmare control?
    so, ios becoming another PSP which is full of port games?? that is bad!

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    And why do you have to play them?:confused:

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    thats what I was thinking.

4. Just because there are a lot of ports is no reason to ignore the hundreds upon hundreds of indie developers releasing tons of great, original titles. There simply isn't any comparison; iOS gets way, way, way more releases than PSP -- in fact, way more than any platform. When you have that many releases on a high profile platform, you're going to notice more ports because there are just that many more games overall coming to the iOS platform, and the big names and classics get a huge share of the spotlight over the indies.

If you don't like the ports, don't buy them, simple as that. Enjoy the many thousands of great indie games the PSP doesn't have instead.

5. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    #5 TapMad_D, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    it is not regarding buying or not, it is for the general atmosphere there in app store. those ports are killing innovation. you could compare it with the NDS market and PSP market.

i am not opposed to ports. but i just can't understand why big names as SE just simply port it without any improvement. for new gamers, it is cheating; while for old hands, it is a joke.

6. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'd be less worried about ports and more worried about the crud that gets released everyday.

7. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    i guess, less than half a year, apple will become more restrict on game approval process. games which lacks creativity and quality will be hard to pass. and i do hope those dev who fake the reviews and sales will be punished.

8. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    The general atmosphere eh?

We get a handful of ports every year. This isn't like the PSN or Wii Ware store where 80% of titles are ports from older versions.

Pac Man, Tetris.. all ports. But people WANT to buy them, hence why more popular titles are continously ported. If you don't like them, look for the other 100,000+ new games on the App Store.

9. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Why so many comparisons of iOS to other consoles? Just enjoy it own its own, as an individual gaming device

10. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    How's it killing innovation. Just because those games don't bring something new doesn't mean other companies aren't. Theres a bunch of other fresh new games that are very different and unique. Next time, do some research first.:rolleyes:

11. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I doubt that. Heard this from time to time and Apple would be losing money by being so critical, wouldn't they? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for removing crap games but who's to regulate what games are "crap"?
    One person's bug infested game is another's epic dream game.

12. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Is it becoming another psp or dethrowing the psp?

13. rap8rap

rap8rap Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Well the iOS is another platform on it's own IMO..

And ports are always there.. Most companies (especially SquareEnix) are known for milking off their titles.. They would put their old games anywhere they can.. I remember when I bought FFX, then there comes an International Version.. Bought two games for one title..

The only pros for these ports is that the game runs smoothly than an emulated game.. Good for the game's fans..

14. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Really?

I see these old classics like Chrono Cross coming over to IOS format a huge advantage.

15. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    totally agreed. the standard would be a great problem...
    don't know what apple will do to solve it. maybe taking "DON'T BE EVIL" as MOTTO for the store? LOL
    to be frank, indie developers did great job to make such a great market. however, some people definitely just want to earn quick money from there. i really don't want to see those craps ruin it or give it a bad name.

16. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I hope so, in a way. PSP in NA seems to be getting a lot of interesting and good-looking turn-based games lately and I'd have loved to see them ported to iOS. Wouldn't Persona 3 Portable be great? IMHO, very much so. Just because _you_ have played all those classic games and have a ton of alternative consoles to play them on, doesn't mean that everybody else has or wants to buy some extra hardware to have a chance. Or wants to JB either.

And also, good gameplay/story doesn't age, as long as there is an auto-save/save everywhere and decent controls.

17. Metalhead980

Metalhead980 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I like ports as long as they control well. Other companies could always innovate, nothings stopping them. Think of it this way. SE makes a ton of cash off FF1&2 with that cash they make Chaos Rings. Now they release Secret of mana & have both FF tactics & Chrono Trigger in the works. With that cash they will make something new. So releasing retro ports has it's benefits.

18. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Agreed!
    It shows the publishers understand that there is a market here for people who have bought a new gaming device and want to enjoy their classic games, plus introduce strong old IP to a whole new audience.

New IP are not a guarantee of success... so back catalogue content may prove to be the most profitable

Ports of classics is not really something to complain about, your greatest voice to a bad conversion on iOS devices is to simply not buy it... or voice your concerns on the TA forums.... devs and publishers take feedback very seriously as it can shape their portfolio of titles in future.

All new games take their inspiration from classic titles... lets keep em! :D