iPad Wacoon Jump! - 2D Platformer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Toad In The Hole, Apr 16, 2012.

1. PlayFripp

PlayFripp Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Dev dev dev dev :p
    Lyon, FR
    Hello to everyone!
    And thank you very much for all your advices! I am really busy with the press now, but you've got to know that I read every post from all of you, and it is really important for me to get your feedbacks and feelings to fix the game. So thanks ;)

I have to be fast, so here are want you all to know:
    - By reading the feedbacks, I decided to make a quick update (in 3-4 weeks) with a customizable d-pad system and the game center (if possible).
    - I do not have decided yet if the app will be universal, it is a technical decision. So it may be or not, but it will not be done before few months.
    - I will try to precise the inertia as soon as I can.
    - Is the game so hard ?.. because I thought of a super hard mode for the last update at the end of the year... lol
    - Remember that I make that game and all the communication alone! So please, be patient, I swear that I do my best ;)

Anyway, thanks for all your advices and compliments ;) I am really really happy that you the most of you like the game ;)

2. PlayFripp

Apr 5, 2012
    Lyon, FR
    Last thing: the game is already a little success ;) !!!!

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I don't think it's too hard at all.. And would LOVE to have a hardcore mode!

4. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Great news!

The difficulty level is all right imo, the customizable dpad is going to be a big help for those of us with big hands but im already pretty on spot with the current setup, the more you play the better it feels.

Many thanks to the dev for being open to all suggestions and hope the success continues so you can keep making great games.

5. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    syntheticvoid, same here!, i would love a harder mode

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Play Fripp, any chance we could get a retina update at some point?

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wow, PlayFripp, the whole game was done by one man?

Despite the inertia/control issues mentioned, the game is amazing. Can't believe all the artwork, level design, etc., was done by one person. Love the little touches like the enemies waving flags when they're knocked down.

Honestly think that with a little practice, most of the control/inertia questions can be overcome. Of course, if you have big hands, that's a different story (I don't).

Anyway, great game and glad to see you're responsive!

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I have big hands and I'm doing okay with it ;).

I'm actually kind of stunned that this is a one-man show, though I would assume that that doesn't include freelance artists, etc. BTW, nice Zelda homage when you pick up a power-up...

9. MeanTuna

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I can confirm that the controls work on big hands! Lol, like you said when you get the feel of how your little guy behaves its all much easier. Dont mind the ability to change the size though.. Great game indeed!

10. felipaopl

felipaopl Member

Dec 15, 2010
    This game is absolutely amazing if it was really made by only one person.
    The attention to even the smallest of the details is stunning. Animation, character design... everything top notch.

This could easily pass as a PSN Vita or 3DS e-Shop downloadable game.

The only small concerns are what almost everybody already said... controls with a little too much inertia and the need for a custom layout of the UI (with an option for a moving d-pad).

Other than that, Ill say it again... fantastic work.

11. basstreblemusic

May 19, 2011
    Game Impressions

wow, i don't post at all, but after playing this game, felt compelled to say, wtf...
    same gripes as others mainly, but sweet moses the movement in the game drives me up the wall....it's completely broken. Movement is not swift or responsive and does not provide for a fun playing experience but rather one of frustration and fighting to try get the character to do what you want it to.
    And what the heck is with bouncing off walls and not being able to control the character then.... he just completely bounces hard in the opposite direction, which breaks any corrections you could potentially make from accidentally wall clinging (which seems to happen often).
    This game has so much potential, the art is awesome, the sound and music are great, but right now the fun is completely ruined by the horrible movement.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but while I agree with some of the gripes, the game's far from being completely broken.

I really don't mind the movement/controls as much as others. Only issue I have is that little icy feeling when you land. I've fallen off a few small platforms due to this. But overall, I'm having fun. And it's a very impressive effort.

To each their own, though. Just think it's a game well worth taking a chance on IMO.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Didn't notice the release yesterday. The trailer looks awesome. From Sanuku's video, the controls definitely look terrible though. Will wait for it to get updated.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The controls are not terrible at all. Anybody who gets that impression from the comments here or from Sanaku's video is frankly wrong. There are basically two issues: the character inertia is a bit too high (which accounts for the "struggling to keep the character under control" comment above) and the action button is placed too far away from the jump button. The d-pad is a matter of preference: the current one is very responsive but a tad small for some folks.

Now, the interesting thing about the inertia is that is pretty much at the same level as that of the original SMB. Modern platformers (including the 3DS Super Mario World) have seriously toned down inertia, which is why it can be frustrating here. Most hardcore platformer fans will tell you that it's the "stop on a dime" platformers that are broken. Personally, I'd rather have less inertia (see "Rayman Origins"), but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy this game.

It's great to have options, and I'm sure that the developer doesn't want anyone to miss out on this game because they don't like a particular button set up. But that's a far cry from saying that the controls are terrible or broken.

15. PlayFripp

Apr 5, 2012
    Lyon, FR
    Hi guys,
    Thanks again for your feedbacks ;)

So quickly:
    - @metalcasket Yes, retina will be added to Wawa Land. But, there are lot of technicals issues with it, so I will not add it before 2 months, to release it perfect.

- Controls: @basstreblemusic I am really sorry that you have problems with the controls... You are the first person to have so much problems with them.
    That said, I see that there is a problem with them, so it is my top priority for the updates to add a custom ui system.
    I will try to include: the actual controls (default), because a large majority of people seems confortable with them / the ability to scale and move button/directional cross / 3 different directional cross (the current one / a joystick / a classic cross +).
    There are also gamers which likes the ability to put the directional cross -almost- everywhere, so I will try something for that too.
    I think that this will makes happy 99% percent of the players (with a little bit less of inertia ;)).

- To everyone so much thanks for your support! I am really happy to see that a large part of you likes my game. I will do all I can, to enhance the game all along the updates ;)

16. MeanTuna

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Excellent list of updates, thank you so much!

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Sounds good to me, thanks. Will check it out tomorrow then.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Amazing. :) You have nothing but my utmost respect and admiration, and it still blows my mind that all of this...all of it...was made by one person. Incredible effort, and it's honestly a pleasure having Wawa Land on my phone.

Should I repost that YES! video from the upcoming thread? :p

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    #60 CygnetSeven, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    Enjoyed the hell out of 1-4. That was a treat!