★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
09-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggus View Post
I got the IAP since the Diablo asthetic appealed to me. About an hour in, I'm not disappointed.

Terrain can be annoying, thumb sometimes needs to be extra dextrous, especially in combat around tricky corners. You can and will get beat on/shot upon while snagged on terrain, without being able to hit your assailant.

Merchants need a sell-all button. why is that never implemented when a game first releases?

Mobs level up along with you so I foresee grindiness; the game is moderately difficult on normal (save often). With 2 heal ups per rest, I required 3 trips back to town in my hour. No word of recall (yet).

No saving in dungeons and no healing while fighting - annoying but acceptable. I'm liking it so far.
Oh man, no saving in dungeons? I wish all games like this just had a save state implementation. Oh, you need to call someone real quick or send a message or email? Instead of risking putting it in the background, just pause, save, exit. I still may give it a try, but like many mobile RPGs, I just wish the save system was more mobile-friendly.

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides
09-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Mini Review

Actually you can save in dungeons in Easy mode, which according to the description has the challenge of normal mode except for quick saving in dungeons and an extra recall... something like that.

AS FOR THE GAME: I am loving it!!! I'm only an hour in and much has happened to me. At that point I bought the game for 3.99USD and am now running a Cleric.

The graphics are a little better than the pictures. But just a little. Runs great on my iPad Air 2. I've got to say I wait a long time between RPGs with battles, user interfaces, and attributes and skill systems I like. This checks a lot of boxes for me.

I especially love the way the attribute system breaks wisdom charisma into "awareness" and "personality". These attributes have real world benefits I am seeing already vis a vis conversation options and perceptions that remind me of Pillars of Eternity.

I also like the simplistic melee combat. With skill buttons and auto attack If you choose.

All in all I can highly recommend this to RPG fans of any kind. 5 stars for me, especially since the story is good so far.

And especially since it's free with a small footprint.

Oh and everything is well explained through tool tips that actually make sense.

Last edited by loox; 09-29-2016 at 11:16 AM.

09-29-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm really enjoying it but feel like I've encountered a bug.

I bought the full game and when I go to the castle and click on quests it says I need the full game to use. I then buy it again (for free) and it still asks for it.

I just tried starting a new game (with the cleric so I know the purchase worked) and it's still saying I need the full license to get quests at the castle.

Anyone else experiencing this?
09-29-2016, 12:15 PM
It happened to me once I exited the game restored the purchase and went back to the quests and they were now showing. I think this is a bug yes
09-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
It happened to me once I exited the game restored the purchase and went back to the quests and they were now showing. I think this is a bug yes
Thanks, restored and it worked
09-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loox View Post
Actually you can save in dungeons in Easy mode, which according to the description has the challenge of normal mode except for quick saving in dungeons and an extra recall... something like that.

AS FOR THE GAME: I am loving it!!! I'm only an hour in and much has happened to me. At that point I bought the game for 3.99USD and am now running a Cleric.

The graphics are a little better than the pictures. But just a little. Runs great on my iPad Air 2. I've got to say I wait a long time between RPGs with battles, user interfaces, and attributes and skill systems I like. This checks a lot of boxes for me.

I especially love the way the attribute system breaks wisdom charisma into "awareness" and "personality". These attributes have real world benefits I am seeing already vis a vis conversation options and perceptions that remind me of Pillars of Eternity.

I also like the simplistic melee combat. With skill buttons and auto attack If you choose.

All in all I can highly recommend this to RPG fans of any kind. 5 stars for me, especially since the story is good so far.

And especially since it's free with a small footprint.

Oh and everything is well explained through tool tips that actually make sense.
Wow definately giving this a whirl now.
09-29-2016, 01:25 PM
No reason not to try this. I played about an hour for free, and if I like it, one IAP will unlock everything. So no complaints there.

Kind of like a Diablo 1 type game..."old" looking graphics, but reasonably good, especially on an iPhone. Probably a good action-RPG for phones especially.

However...just be aware...the save system is both awesome and brutal. The good news is that you have LOTS of slots, so you can play multiple characters, and each slot is really a folder with multiple save locations. So you're looking at something like 40 slots. And seems to have sync, though I haven't tried that. But you *can't* save in dungeons. And that is harsh. Some will view that as a feature, not a bug. But the enemies re spawn when you leave dungeons, *and* seem to level up with you. So you can't finish part of a dungeon, go back to town, rest/save, then return to finish the dungeon. You need to finish it in one run, generally. And if you die in the dungeon, you lose all progress in that dungeon.

Personally I'd love an update that allowed dungeon saving, but I understand if that's not in the cards.

(And all travel is of the "walk back to town" variety, at least until you're high level or have tons of gold.)

Overall this seems like a super cool game, though, and it's fun. Lots of great customization options and play styles.
09-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Help!

Is there any way to avoid Adaon?
09-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loox View Post
Help!

Is there any way to avoid Adaon?
Nope, if you mean in the beginning of the game
09-29-2016, 02:12 PM
This actually feels more like Siege of Avalon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Avalon) which is kind of funny because SoA is like the grand-daddy of episodic games predating iOS by many years.

I loved SoA and this "feels" very similar to it in a number of ways. Both have smooth movement, simple combat, and a similar art style.