★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-12-2017, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambo12 View Post
Watching the trailer and App Store video reminds me of zodiac orcanon oddyssy... but this is better then zodiac... gonna buy now
Yes!!! And what happened to that zodiac game after the big letdown on launch...
01-12-2017, 04:20 AM
Man, another game to buy. I am going broke.

01-12-2017, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulki View Post
Seems like an odd choice based on the trailers to not even attempt to add combat animations to the game. Even the flash games had animations.
Additionally, items are not visibly equipped..

Last edited by Oynox; 01-12-2017 at 05:35 AM.
01-12-2017, 04:55 AM
No battle animations + Gear isn't visibly equiped.

They spent years making this game (apparently) and kept pushing it back to "polish" it. Yet the game does not have any battle animations and gear isn't visibly equiped to your character. The original FLASH games like 10 years ago had that, I'd rather worse graphics and basic game functions.

The game is BARELY worth the asking price.

Edit: There's no classes yet like previous games had,(new info; there's strains, which act as classes that unlock later in the game), dialogue is barely voice acted, one or two lines within a speech if that. Only 4 equipment slots, other games had nearly 10 if I remember correctly. No base skill point upgrading (strength, endurance and such) completely removed from the game. Graphics are pretty, only upside so far but then again it's not hard for them to be pretty when everything's a static image, the camera moves to give the illusion of movement while the effects and visual explosions help as well.

More; No information or story behind items, no neat little things to look at on the map screen which give information as to where you are and the world you're in. No difficulty modes so goodbye challenge runs and improving yourself like in the old games, unless there's ng+ which I doubt.

There point in grinding is you can make your skills stronger but can't upgrade your stats like power, speed or health like in previous games. You can farm money but that won't do anything if you have all the latest gear. (edit: you can upgrade your gear using the money gained which helps massively)

Newly learned stuff; Skills evolve, you choose between three different options to add to it's effect, nice little addition. Turns out evolving skills only lasts during the battle which makes the battle you're in easier slowly, but losing those benefits is a bit eh.

Last edited by Hidan494; 01-12-2017 at 03:34 PM.
01-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Just a disclaimer: This is the first I've heard of "Sonny" and I generally dislike turn based battle mechanics in RPGs, but DAMN, this hard to put down. "Just one more fight" and the whole "carrot dangling" upgrade system make this SO hard to resist playing. The music's really great too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidan494 View Post
They spent years making this game (apparently) and kept pushing it back to "polish" it. Yet the game does not have any battle animations and gear isn't visibly equiped to your character. The original FLASH games like 10 years ago had that, I'd rather worse graphics and basic game functions.

The game is BARELY worth the asking price.

Edit: There's no classes yet like previous games had, skill list is tiny, dialogue is barely voice acted, one or two lines within a speech if that. Only 4 equipment slots, other games had nearly 10 if I remember correctly. No base skill point upgrading (strength, endurance and such) completely removed from the game. Graphics are pretty, only upside so far but then again it's not hard for them to be pretty when everything's a static image, the camera moves to give the illusion of movement while the effects and visual explosions help as well.

More; No information or story behind items, no neat little things to look at on the map screen which give information as to where you are and the world you're in. No difficulty modes so goodbye challenge runs and improving yourself like in the old games, unless there's ng+ which I doubt. No mp/mana/energy so just spam skills when they cool down, far less strategy involved.

There's no point in grinding, you can make your skills stronger but can't upgrade your stats like power, speed or health. You can farm money but that won't do anything if you have all the latest gear.

How did they manage to make a game so bland and lacking of every single detail the originals did so well.
Hmmm...I never heard of these games either. And these imps are so polarized I'm not sure what to think.
01-12-2017, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony78 View Post
Hmmm...I never heard of these games either. And these imps are so polarized I'm not sure what to think.
My impressions were certainly first impressions and the other fellow is definitely versed with the Flash games, so... \_(ツ)_/

Everyone's favorite chamber of death, doom and decomposition.
01-12-2017, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony78 View Post
Play the originals if you want good turn based games. Play this one if you like pretty graphics and a game that's mechanics and structure has barely been worked on, it's hollow and empty. The music even gets annoying and repetitive and apparently that's a selling point. (as said in the description of the game)

Last edited by Hidan494; 01-12-2017 at 07:11 AM.
01-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Play this if you can get over your own nostalgia.
There's a high chance if you can't stand any FF past 12, you won't be able to enjoy this.
01-12-2017, 07:23 AM
A little more time spent with the game and it's clear the heart and spirit of the game are indeed the storyline and the battle mechanics. While I could argue that the lack of animation isn't THAT much of a detriment to the overall game, I wholeheartedly agree that equipment not being visible (at least static?) is very strange. I mean, sure, maybe the app is large enough as it is and that's a reason why this stuff wasn't implemented, but it's just an odd feeling when you remember you're actually carrying a gun, for example.

The music hasn't gotten annoying just yet, but I'm still in the first area and that almost folk/pirate tune is quite digestible. No telling what the rest of the game sounds like at this point.

Still haven't made up my mind on the game, but there's certainly something here (and something lacking).

Everyone's favorite chamber of death, doom and decomposition.
01-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Having never even heard of this game prior to now based on just this version is it any good or should I go back to DW2 for now to get my RPG fill