Ex-OMGPOP Employee forced to either give up self-made game or resign.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stream, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    Before I quote the post, I am reaching out to everyone to say, buy the game Connectrode! It's the center of attention in this story, and because of Zynga's new contract, he had to resign and is now out of a job and isn't earning any money.

http://www.cultofmac.com/156508/zynga-tried-to-kill-a-cute-ios-game-one-ex-omgpop-dev-made-for-his-wife-evil/

Connectrode:
    http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/connectrode/id438450056?mt=8

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm, can see both sides of it.

I work for a company doing programming, if i was doing some in my spare time and they found out i would probably get the sack. Same with any of my past jobs.

I think you basically do what everyone else does, you dont tell em ! He was too honest, he could have released that game under another name and this company would never have found out.

Sure theres lots of examples of this though in gaming all over the place.

3. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    cool, I like this story, I like the idea of anyone quitting their job because it violates their principals. I have done this once myself. Downloading the game as we speak.

And and F**K Zynga

4. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Zynga are vindictive A holes no doubt..but walking away from a job irresponsible. Does he have children to support? If he is a single man that's fine, but that's a stupid decision if not.

It's nice to value your beliefs but when you have a family to feed you grin and bare your A hole boss like everyone has to do.

I'll buy the game though, I respect the guy very much. Zynga is to earth as demneters are to the Harry potter world.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Draw Something is a woefully inadequate Pictionary clone with a ridiculously limited dictionary, ludicriously slow coin earning, and nickle and diming for colors for cripes sake. Just considering the dictionary issue, it's fun for a little while, but unless they make the dictionary 100x larger it's going to peter out pretty quickly. I get duplicates and I haven't even played that much. Others who have have gotten the same words over and over, even with the paid version.

This is saying nothing about the discussion at hand, only noting that Draw Something isn't that great, and was already a nickle and dimer - it's perfect for Zynga. LOL.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    This seems wrong. It's the letter pool that makes the game, for better or worse that's completely different from anything in Pictionary.

7. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Zynga is an asshole company but there not the only companies that do this...

So its not entirely Zynga's fault, it was just that guys choice.

All companies have a contract that you have to follow, if you breach it then you lose the job.

That really is how the world works...cruel and cold.

But good luck to that guy cause I hate Zynga.

8. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I'm not following the big deal about this...

9. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    LOL at this. He's not some guy scubbing away paycheck to paycheck at a low-paying job with no marketable skills. He's been in the game development field for years. It's very possible he's saved money for situations like this, not to mention his former company was bought out for $200m. Yes, he probably didn't get more than a fraction of a percent of that, but that could easily be enough to tide him over until his next job. If you read the original article from the guy (not the flowered up one with the added "please buy this game" from an unrelated journalist), he says he has no children. His choice to walk is a luxury that I'm pretty sure he can afford and props to him for doing so.