No chance on making it!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

I was really wondering why Caveman Test was doing so poorly the app isn't being ranked. For some reason the app is not moving in any direction on the charts. It all became very clear when I sold 3 games to Kuwait and 2 to Romania and no movement in the charts. 3 games in Kuwait would put you somewhere on the top 100 list in most categories. Went through 70 promo codes to get some forward movement but that didn't help because nothing is registering. Still Caveman Test isn't being ranked. I emailed Apple hopefully they will fix it tomorrow. It is hard enough to make a go at this even without these problems.

2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Is it really necessary to make 2 identical threads on the same problem?

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Sorry I misplaced this (again) was supposed to go with the A side experiment. Also never got a response if any one had an app that wasn't being ranked.

4. D-Cypher

D-Cypher Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of surly developers on these boards.

5. Singularity42

Singularity42 Member

Feb 18, 2010
    You do have a chance of being successful. Just remember, the quality of the app is important too. Too many people are naive and think success is all about marketing.

6. Syndicated Puzzles

Singularity42,

Great comment! 100% with you on your statements! The starting point of the success of an app is content based. Great content is easier to market effectively. Caveman Test
    is a very good game and it is different and unique.

Caveman test is still dead in the water not moving anywhere even after several emails. It is selling in some strange countries and again no movement. E mails have gone out to iTunes but no response yet.

7. Syndicated Puzzles

#7 Syndicated Puzzles, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
    Something must be going on. I listed Caveman test under entertainment. My 2 game categories (second choices) are gone. Kind of wondering if we are only going to get one category to chose from? Maybe this will be the change that is coming up?

Caveman Test listing under entertainment is gone too. So the game isn't listed.

No listings and no rankings? Hard to make it work when iTunes isn't doing its part.

8. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah something is futzed up. We had chalkboard stunts listed under racing and arcade, and it's gone from both lists. It's hard enough to sell on the damn app store without Apple not showing it at all!

I can still search for the app, and it shows up.. it's just not listed anymore. VERY annoying.

9. Syndicated Puzzles

Thank you! Now I know I am not alone with this issue. I can still search for Caveman Test as well. But it isn't listed anywhere? Very odd!

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    steve jobs wants you to make quality puzzles instead of this stuff.

11. Syndicated Puzzles

sam the lion,

if you had the courtesy of trying out Caveman Test before making a stupid comment like this you might be pleasantly surprised. Also, as the person who has invented the puzzle (Str8ts) that has a really good chance of becoming the next Sudoku I think I am pretty good at what I do.

12. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    woops... sorry. It was supposed to be kinda humorous. What I meant was that your games are generally good, and reading the "A and B sides of the store" discussions I understood that it was a simpler entertainment app, but I didn't really look at it (my bad), so I might be entirely wrong.

Clearly the joke didn't came out the way I wanted... my sincere apologies, I did not intend to offend.

13. Syndicated Puzzles

Sorry Sam the Lion,

It probably was my fault since this comment is out of character to what you regularly post. Lost in translation. Again I should have asked you to explain yourself before barking out loud. Wasn't a great week with this Caveman Test madness. I generally don't get mad at anything but having a game sit in the dark for over a week is frustrating to say the least.

14. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    No, it was definitely my fault because of the inappropriate post in a "serious" thread about a real issue. But I'm glad we cleared things up :)

15. pocketjump

pocketjump Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I'm also having the exact same problem and it started on Feb. 23.
    Emailed and called but the issue stills exists! Did this get resolved for you?

16. Syndicated Puzzles

Caveman Test is showing up in the listings now, but it is still not being ranked. Apple sent me an email explaining all the ins and outs of the ranking system and are telling me it should be working. I gave away some more promo codes to see if I could push the game up the chart and again no movement anywhere in the world. Very frustrating.

17. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    They explained the ins and outs of the ranking system? Any chance on sharing that info?

18. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah I'd love to hear what they told you as well.

I wrote to them about us not being in the list at all and they responded with:

"This transient issue has now been resolved. The release date section of each category page on the App Store is now updating correctly and we apologize for any inconvenience. We are unable to modify your released date display at this time."

So now chalkboard stunts is showing up again as being released on Feb 5th, but still waiting for our lite version to show up for the 24th.

19. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

My tip (FWIW) is to add a 'smiley' if you want to make sure your post comes as a joke ;)

Cheers

20. pocketjump

pocketjump Member

Feb 10, 2010
    #20 pocketjump, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Strange.. When I click "browse" in iTunes(the generic\no icon view) my app is listed along with your chalkboard stunts lite with the correct release dates. Unfortunately 99.9% of users probably do not use this route.:mad: Still missing from the main icon view listings. Just a quick check seems to show 20-40% of the apps are missing after switching the view. Is this normal?