Pricing advice

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DrBoomBoom, Dec 19, 2010.

1. DrBoomBoom

DrBoomBoom Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Developer
    London
    Hi,

I have a couple of iPhone/iPad games almost ready for release, and I would really appreciate some advice on pricing them.

I always thought they would be $0.99 because they are both small in scope (think Flight Control).

However they will have full iPad resolution graphics so they will get that little '+' icon next to them in the App Store. This has made me think they might warrant the next pricing tier of $1.99.

Here are my current thoughts on each price:

$0.99
    • Potentially generate more interest for new IPs
    • More likely to get good reviews

$1.99
    • Retain the ability to have $0.99 sales
    • Retain the ability to permanently reduce price to $0.99

What are your thoughts on this? Would you buy a $0.99 game for $1.99 if it had iPad resolution graphics? Does the higher $1.99 price tag make you think twice about buying a game? Can the $0.99 price tag undervalue a game?

Cheers in advance for any feedback!

2. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

the higher price tag makes me question the game i am getting but the price truly depends on how good of a game it is.

3. csch

csch New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    it really depends on your game i guess but if it's good quality and you also present the game in good resolution on the iPad i would go for 1.99$. Then later your run a sale with 99c and then you can still decide if you rather stick to 99c or not.

If Flight Control wouldn't be bought hundreds or thousands times a day i presume it wouldn't be 99c now with all those features they added over the past months.

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Just a comment, 0.99 is not more likely to get good reviews. If anything, the opposite is true, with "free" being the most extreme exmple. People don't adjust their reviews more favorably when they picked up your game for a cheaper price or free. By pricing higher, you help ensure that people picking up your game are actually interested in that type of app, and youu can also reduce the chances of an "impulse delete."