Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Tiny Wings

I saw it on the top of the charts and looked at the screens and was like why are people downloading this.

Well now its one of my fav games for iOS and what i consider a perfect mobile game. It is so polished and really every element of it is great. It honestly played a hand in inspiring me to become a game developer.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

There's two for me. First is Pizza vs Skeletons. An absolutely silly game, the kind I stay well away from. I like deep gameplay and a good story, but I bought that when I couldn't find anything else and its absurdly brilliant, and good fun.

Second is Tiger & Chicken. I couldn't find anything about it when I stumbled across it. I thought it would end up being one of those games that are really just demo's of good graphics. Instead I found a brilliant arpg that I couldn't put down. Everyone with an iPad should give that one a go.

I've just found and downloaded PlunderNauts in the UK.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I think mine would be The Room. I played a lot of puzzle/adventure games in the past mostly along the lines of 7th Guest, Starship Titanic and Myst so I know there are diamonds in the genre. But for every one good game there's literally a hundred generic point and clickers that only ever get as complex as hidden objects or looking for the next key to open a door to get the next key etc.

Absolutely loved everything about The Room, from the atmosphere to the well thought-out puzzles. I don't know why I was so reticent about trying it, but I definitely didn't wait as long once The Room Two came out!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

I really didn't like the look of Threes. I only bought it because I'd picked up 2048 (which I also didn't think I'd like) and wound up loving it. It turns out Threes is even better.

Also, Bardbarian. From the screenshots it looks like a million other castle defence and brawler type games. Turns out it's a weird blend of the he two with some bullet hell shooter thrown into the mix and is really addictive.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:49 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Mine would be Kingdom Rush. I never liked TD games before but I was so hooked up with this game and when I first played it I had one week before finals. I will never understand how I passed.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:19 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Hard to say, there are some games I ignored but then by the time I decided to get them, I'd learned enough about them to have high expectations. It's also been my experience that most of the games where there was a big gap between what I was expecting and what I got tended to be situations where I could ultimately appreciate the quality of the games, but wasn't necessarily inclined toward keeping the games in the long run.

In general, I'm just not very likely to get a game for which I have low expectations. I guess the two best examples are Colossatron and Saturday Morning RPG. I must have had some hope for Colossatron though, because it's not like I got it for free. I was a bit skeptical though, because it's not a very easy game to get a sense for unless you're literally playing it. I actually downloaded SMRPG about three times, due to a combination of liking the theme, but not managing to enjoy the gameplay. I ultimately wound up getting the all-episodes version of the game on a whim and I think it all comes together much better after the first episode to make for one of the best RPGs on the appstore.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I was never very impressed with gamelofts fps games. But I have to say when I bought Nova 3 on a 99 cent sale (because its 99 cent) and played it, I was hooked from the start and played the game to the finish on that same day. Very good stuff and now I am actually looking forward to Modern Combat 5 and a new Nova game.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I'd have to say that mine is the original PVZ. Shortly after I got my iphone 4 a couple years ago I decided I'd give it a go. I had never played a tower defense game. I had never seen gameplay of PVZ. I only knew that it was a pretty big deal. So after beating it the very day I purchased it I became hopelessly addicted to any and every TD game in the App Store. I still love PVZ but my favorite TD is Kingdom Rush. Just had to give a nod to the TD that started it all for me.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:45 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

One that really surprised me had to have been Solomon's Keep. I'd never heard of Raptisoft and the game appeared to be very simplistic. Fortunately, that was a major part of its charm and I ended up wasting many hours playing it and replaying it in order to master it's subtle skill combinations.