iPhone Cover Orange (by FDG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Dimbo_Jack

Dimbo_Jack Guest

Oh there's still lots of levels with low scores when compared to what you say is a par 991 score on most levels. I'm certain I don't have any 991 scores and maybe have a very low single digit 990, not sure though. Most of my scores are in the 960 -982 odd and one level is 907 as I mentioned before. Not played much since yesterday. I discovered there's another CO-Xmas Gift version available which i downloaded yesterday. Only 20 levels but what the hell. beats the repetitive play of the CO.

Don't think I'm gonna play much before Christmas now. Maybe use the time to build that slo-mo which could push the score a bit higher. The next person on leaderboard seems like a mountain to climb. In any case I think I'm safely in the top 50 which was my aim to begin with. Not seeing many players reaching these levels, so it must be tough.

Merry Christmas guys. Enjoy the Holidays.

2. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Have you looked at the link at the end of my posts? I haven't updated it lately (just to level 240), but it will let you see what is possible and levels that are bad for everyone (though individual hardware types will vary in what they can get). There are actually two lists, so use the scroll bars. The top one is for all hardware - including my 3G which doesn't have the leaderboard. Scroll down for the one that has the best scores NOT including the 3G.

Also, over on the right of each chart are names of users and their hardware they used (I am listed twice - slight name variation - to separate my 3G and iphone 4).

I have a list on my computer of just my scores (3G and iphone 4) so if you are wondering if a low score you have is just naturally low, I can tell you.

You should be able to get 991 on the first level!

I looked but couldn't find CO-Xmas gift! Can you check and see if it is by FDG? I looked at everything in the iphone apps that came from a "cover orange" search and nothing like that showed up.

Looks like someone must have just passed you because they are just a little ahead (20 pts).

So far the ones you've asked about are particularly hard. Maybe ask about some others will help you. I know that when I got help on a lot of levels, the tactic was useful elsewhere so I'd go back through the levels looking to see where I could use it.

Hard to know what might help you without seeing some of your problems where there are solutions you just might not have though of.

Besides balancing things on top of oranges or getting gaps (gaps can really jump your score since you don't have to spend time protecting oranges that get gaps). It's just that you have to be willing to try a lot sometimes to get the gap), be aware that the sooner you drop something, the sooner the clock will stop normally. That is, it isn't JUST about when things stop moving. So, in a few cases you might drop an object from a higher position rather than wait for something to get out of the way and then drop it. Everything may stop at the same time either way, but you'll have finished dropping things sooner.

And you do know you don't have to touch the objects and drag them to where they will drop, right? Just tap where you want them to drop from and they jump to that spot.

A good trick in some levels is to get things to fall sort of out of order. For example, look at level 5. Instead of what I would consider the most obvious solution, drop the first barrel down to hit the log right next to the orange. Then drop the second barrel from up high, directly above the first, but then quickly drop the barrel so it appears below the second barrel (before it has dropped too far). The idea is to overlap the orange at least somewhat with the box which falls on the first barrel and the second barrel, sitting on top of the box, puts more weight so you can overlap the orange a little more than you could otherwise. Then you try to get a gap - which is easier because less of the orange is exposed, though it isn't completely protected.

You could also try to balance something on the orange, but it might not work on that level since the log bounces. I didn't have the patience to test that today!

Consider level 10 - the obvious tactic is to knock the two oranges (with the wheels) so they roll under the platform and then block the ends with the barrels. But with slo-mo especially, you can knock them under, but don't wait - immediately drop the two barrels on top of the upper platform. The the speed of the two oranges is about the same (takes some practice), they will cancel each other out. Then all you have to do is worry about ricochets. The more slo-mo, the less drops there are to ricochet and the sooner they disappear.

Level 12 - instead of getting fancy, drop the first wheel in the gap just to the left of the orange so it gets stuck. Drop the second wheel on top of that (slightly to the right. You can drop the box on top of all or drop it inside the two curved sections (yes, you can get it to appear inside if you tap the right place). The box won't protect anything if you put it on top though - the cloud comes in below it. Anyway, you still need a gap to skip over the orange, but it is at least partly protected so it is easier. I can stop the clock easily at 990 this way, though my record is 991.

Maybe looking at those things will give you some ideas for improving other levels.

3. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Dang, lost slo-mo yesterday. Happens sometimes so I'm probably done for awhile. Don't feel like getting it back. Only had one level where I know I was able to stop the clock 2 points higher, but wasn't able to win. Never was able to repeat that score in spite of many tries. Ended up with 8 of the new levels below 991 (4 were 990). Two low scores (977 and 964) which seem to be hardware limited on the iphone 4. Hate those levels.

4. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    :D new levels

5. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #1425 ctay, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    Fdg

thanks for the new levels; however, I believe, the hacking of the leaderboard continues :(

6. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Yep, and I've noticed that every single one of the hackers on this game (and others I've checked where the number of hackers is at least fairly small) very suddenly appear at the top of the list AND when you check the "today" and "this week" leaderboards, they never come back until the next set of levels is released. The legitimate players may not show up on the "today" list all the time, but they will for an extended period. They also slowly add more points and only drop off the shorter lists when they have gradually figured out they can't get more.

7. Dimbo_Jack

Dimbo_Jack Guest

These levels are same as the Xmas special edition except that the snow is missing !! Finding it boring to play the same thing over again. Have started but I will earnestly complete there soon.

8. Groucho

Groucho Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Achievment points?

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding the achievments:

- Up to level 100 there are different points, up to level 270 only 5 points and later only 0 points assigned to achievments. What are the reasons for the change in the system?

- I won some achievements, but the achievement points weren't added to my score. When will they be added? (Do I need to solve all level or win all achievements first?)

- I accidently used one helmet (Solved the level later, though). Does that negatively affect my score or the achievemnt points?

Thank you!
    Groucho

9. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Well, that's interesting. I never could find the Christmas edition. On my 3G, I have 992 on all these. Still have some room for improvement on the iphone 4 where only 991 is possible, but I need more slo-mo.

10. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    The achievement points aren't added to your score. Which, of course, makes you wonder why they give them points!

I assume if you use a helmet and later don't, you get full credit for that level. I've never used one, but I understand that as soon as you do, the timer number drops a lot as a "punishment". So if you beat it normally, it should show a much higher score on the chart.

11. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I finally got around to updating the Cover Orange high score list - the last 80 levels.

As for the listing of who got the high score first, it's just my name now because that's all I have. I suspect ctay (the legitimate 1st place player) got some first and may have some higher than what I show. If she let's me know, I'll update the list again.

12. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I have the new ipad and got the HD version of cover orange, which has it's own leaderboard. Haven't played much, but tried an experiment - let it run all night to try to get slo-mo. Next morning it was the same speed as before I went to bed. Now, I've had occasions on my iphone where it sometimes wouldn't change much - typically after I already have some slo-mo - but it looks like the ipad version just doesn't do it. I haven't tried the same test on the iphone version. Probably will eventually to see if it is the ipad or the version that makes the difference.

13. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Finally got done the HD version of Cover Orange on my ipad. Presently just below 40th place, but I haven't maxed out many levels. I did work hard on about 40 of the 340.

Don't know if I can get scores like I did on the iphone. Doesn't seem to have many of the quirks of that version. For example, so far I haven't had success with the "jamming" tactic. Also, don't think I'm getting slo-mo - at least not much to tell for sure. Just timed level 7 to see how long it took for a complete cycle. It was 8 seconds. Not sure what it was when starting fresh, but I've played a LOT just today. The iphone 4 takes 7 seconds to cycle that level.

14. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Well, I finished my second run through of CO HD. Presently in 4th place. I nead almost 1100 to get first. Don't know if I'll make it, but I think there is a decent change. I know some levels where I could have gotten more if I just tried harder - I rarely tried the balancing trick so a good number of points are possible on those when I have more patience.

If I ever get first, I'll go back to Monster Island on both the iphone and ipad.

15. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Yea! Finally got first place on the HD version!

16. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I see Pantsjo is back in the game!!! 18th last I checked (including the two hackers). I may be in serious jeopardy of ending up third of the non-hackers because most of what I learned about the game, I learned from him!

17. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Oh my goodness, 2 hackers now... :rolleyes: Must be time for some new levels, don't you think, Big K? I hope so :). Need some summertime fun. I think Pantsjo, like you, enjoys playing the games on the ipad. Maybe no hackers on those leader boards or are there?

18. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Actually three including the one in 4th place - remember, he suddenly jumped up before and did it before as well.

And the one in 2nd actually has the exact same score as the one in 1st?

I forget, but wasn't there some way to get listed twice with different names?

Would like to see some new levels though.

Rapcoon is moving up steadily, btw.

I've mostly been playing games on the iPad where I'm still first on CO and MI. I did move up to 5th on the iphone on MI though, but haven't played since.

19. rapcoon

rapcoon New Member

May 17, 2012
    Hi All,

I am new at CO (actually i've been playing for 3-4 months).
    I searched the forum quickly and have same problems with you.
    I am still behind of top scores almost in 20-30 levels.
    But i did some top scores in few levels too, mainly from 990 to 991.

I shared some of them with dabigkahuna.

20. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Welcome. Have fun playing. :)