Hello! - App questions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Angleus, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    #1 Angleus, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Hello Touch Arcade!

I would like to start off my first post by saying I am very happy to be here! I look forward to getting to know some of you! I also would like to say; if I posted in the wrong section i'm sorry..I have a horrible tendency to do that! With that said here is my post! ( I tend to ramble and go off in tangents - beware!!)

I have been working with computers for over four years now. I have only been working with games for about one year. Most of my work was done in game makers such as Construct and Reality Factory however, some of my other stuff was done in 3D Game Studio A7. ( All windows game engines) I now have a Mac and am using Unity. I have always wanted to make games since I was a little kid playing my SNES, just recently has this become possible.

A good friend of mine and myself are attempting to make a 3D game. We are hoping in short it will provide similar gameplay to Mirror's Edge and Half-Life 2. (Without amazing story lines though haha) Now, I have downloaded Unity 2.6.1 for OS X and have been using it. (I am just using the FREE - Indie version) I have purchased many assets from sites such as Dexsoft and Game Beep. All we are doing now is converting all the textures to "grayscale" in photoshop as we are going to portray the first person view in black and white. (With a few rustic orange elements as well)

Now, my main problem is thus; we want to release the game for FREE for OS X and Windows, but want to charge for an iPhone version. IS there a way to do that? We don't want to give source code or anything like that, just allow people to play the desktop version 100% free of charge. Then have a paypal donate button to raise the money for Unity iPhone Basic.

Is this possible? IF so can someone please explain how to do so? Also I have already downloaded Xcode from apple and have been working with SIO2 to try to understand Objective C a little better. (What I'm trying to say is I am serious about this, i'm not some 13 yr old with crazy ideas and no follow through)

So if anyone would care to give advice on this that would be great! Also just to show that we have started work on this game here is some concept art my buddy drew in Photoshop CS2:

[​IMG]

Thanks for your time! I will post some screenshots of the game once some more of the first few areas are farther along. Hopefully that will be in a month or so! ( Maybe less!!!)

Also, like I said you hopefully will be able to play 100% Free of charge on Windows and OS X, however if we do charge for the iPhone version it will most likely be under $5.00, probably $1.99 or $2.99. Anyway thanks!!!

-Angelus

EDIT: Here is an example of a texture for one of the smaller buildings I am using, going from full color to black & white:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The logo thing you see in there is some more of my buds artwork, if you want to see more of his stuff, here is is DeviantArt page: AlexFactory

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    sorry, not related. but is there a free not trial of unity for windows? And yes, ive seen this been finished before. but it won't be that easy

3. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    #3 Angleus, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Hey,

If you go to Unity's home page and download the "Trial" then install it. All you have to do is open it after installation and it will take you to a web page, from there you will select the license you want. Just select the "FREE" option and you have Unity Indie for, well...FREE!!!

Anything other than that is a trial. Also you say what I am attempting has been done? Could you give an example please? Thanks,

-Angelus

EDIT: Please note that the free version exports to Windows and OS X. (Not iPhone or Wii) Also some features have been removed or downgraded. I still feel it is the best cross platform engine for it's price, especially the free one.

4. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Thank you! And addictinggames has some flash ports,

theres Park It!
    Canabalt
    Bloons TD

and theres more but idk...

5. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    No problem! Also now that you mentioned flash games I just thought of "5 Min. To Kill (Yourself) so you are defiantly correct! Thanks so much!

6. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    no problem! good luck in fact!!! It looks like something from idk..it looks cool! Cant wait!

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you just answered your own question.

You don't really need to do that in order to use Unity iPhone, but it's a good idea to know your way around XCode, and more programming knowledge is always good too.

--Eric

8. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    Hey Eric5h5,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I know you don't need Xcode just to use Unity iPHone, I just want to learn as much as I can right now! I really want to have the computer version done in 6 months, or at-least the end of 2010! I have been working on it for about 3-4 hours a day consistently so I think it is possible!

Thank,

-Angelus

EDIT: Hey man, you have a lot of posts, do you have Unity? if so do you mind me sending you the project file when I have a little bit more done? I would like to get some feedback from someone who really knows what they are doing before I post a playable demo...let me know!

9. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Agreed! I worked in Xcode for 6-8 months before switching over to Unity here recently. The Xcode experience has really been a huge bonus (especially when trying to import OpenFeint), it makes everything go a whole lot smoother when you know what you are doing (and feel comfortable) in both Unity and Xcode ;)

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I do have Unity (buy the game in my sig, it was done in Unity ;) ), but I think it would be better to post that sort of thing on the Unity forums.

Another good reason to know XCode even with Unity is that the Advanced version can communicate with external code, so you can use OS features not implemented in Unity easily.

--Eric