iPad THE KING OF FIGHTERS-i 2012 (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by kerberospkg, May 2, 2012.

1. suplio

suplio Member

May 5, 2012
    I'm really down for multiplayer here :)

2. DoctaMario

DoctaMario Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Proposed tierlist for the game according to DreamCancel.com:

A+: Benimaru, Mr. Karate, EX Kyo, Kyo
    A: Iori/EX Iori, Saiki, Shen, Kensou, King, Duo Lon
    A-: Robert, Andy, K', Takuma, Kim, Billy, Leona, Yuri, Joe, Athena, Hwa Jai, Kula, Mai, Vice, Clark
    B+: Ash, Terry, Elizabeth, Daimon, Ralf, Chin, Mature, Raiden, Maxima

I don't really know the game well enough yet to say for sure how accurate this is or not and if it applies to our game.

3. Pooter

Pooter Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    #523 Pooter, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    KoF Vets:

I'm new to series so have patience.

EX Moves, what's the point?

Do they have invincible frames or not?
    Do any go through fireballs?

So far all I use them for is a little extra damage (waste) or to keep a combo linked.

I use Andy and his EX elbow dash eats fireballs and jabs. :(

4. DoctaMario

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    #524 DoctaMario, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    Seems to me they have a lot less startup and cooldown which makes them a lot easier to link moves to (and hence allowing you to do higher damage combos.) Some of them also have special properties. For example, Ralf's EX Burning Hammer crumple stuns the opponent setting them up for a Super or further combo opportunities.

Some are obviously more useful than others, but I can see some characters' games revolving around the use of EX specials.But it's not like SF4 where the moves go through fireballs or anything (at least not that I can tell so far.)

5. Pooter

Pooter Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Thats what I'm struggling with. Trying to not use SF4 logic. I just can't get past fireball spammers. I jump or roll and eat a counter. I refuse to sit there and spam back but end up agitated. Hell, I don't get counters themselves. All my specials get stuffed by normals! Arghh.

6. Darkness

Darkness Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Does anyone know how to pull Raiden's third combo? that drop kick seems impossible to connect with the EX tackle

7. DoctaMario

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    #527 DoctaMario, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
    This game is definitely a lot more footsies dependent than SF4. I find that when I encounter spammers, I have to fake them into moving and stopping the fireballs. Throwing out specials, juking back and forth, rolling and then blocking after the roll, etc. They'll get scared and that way you have an in because you can roll or jump forward (or when I'm using Terry, Burning Knuckle at them.)

The problem with SF4 logic is that it doesn't really apply to any other game than SF4 and it can take a lot of work to get that "logic" out of your head.

I had a really hard time with that one too. I wound up skipping it. :X

There are a few trials that make me think there's something wrong with some of the moves in the game. Like there are moves that SHOULD connect but don't somehow, and Raiden's 3rd combo was one of them.

8. fffan7777

fffan7777 Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Playing Volt game me very good fundamentals to KOF. A lot of skills that I use on Volt is still relevant to this game. The huge difference between the two is that SF4 has FA and KOF has rolls. So if your game revolves around doing lots of FAs on SF4, then yea, the logic will not really work out. Both games have characters with fireballs and it's no different in how you should handle them. It's all about mind games when fighting against one.

The huge hurdle is learning all the matchups again and knowing what's punishable or not.

As for the trials, they are all executable but many of them are just impractical.

The one part where SNK did mess up is Ryo's/Robert's f, b, f+(p/k) or b+s (Zanretsuken/Gen'eikyaku). You can drive/hd cancel them but NOTHING connects...

9. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    For God`s sake, there are 4 trading cards on the last page that just won`t unlock :|, what the hell!

10. HarlequinRogue

HarlequinRogue Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Shanghai
    My first try with athena online and it was pretty funny. My opponents first char was Athena. It took my 3 chars (athena as my last) to beat his Athena. But my athena handles all his 3 chars easily. He tries to rq, but I still got points and coins etc

11. DoctaMario

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    To a certain degree I agree, but the footsies game in KoF is a bit more complicated than it is in SF4. You can't just lock someone down with some ridiculous spamming strategy and expect it to work, part of this being because of how mobile the characters are. KoF's speed is another factor. I'm not saying that SF4 is completely irrelevant to this game, but things like being able to mash Ultra/SRK/whatever to get out of combos and such, something that's a big part of SF4 just doesn't work here.

Focus Attacks are a whole different story. I think the Evade button is a much better mechanic but that's all just opinion.

And I agree about the trials. If anything, it's a good place to start just to see what moves cancel/combo into what other moves.

12. DoctaMario

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Gat Damn Weatherly, you've been doing some playing! Now that I know the connection is decent at my apartment, I"ll be playing a lot more so expect many more invites!

I'm still trying to get out of "Mash super cuz it works" mode with KoF haha! But those were good, albeit frustrating matches. Your Andy is a zoning machine. I was really having a time trying to get in.

13. HarlequinRogue

Jan 20, 2012
    Shanghai
    App calls Andy the Akuma of KOF

14. DoctaMario

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    HAHAHAHAHA! I could see how that's true!

I played a few opponents online last night that did a pretty good zoning job, and did some decent zoning myself with King. I didn't think zoning would be as viable in this game due to the Evade button, but it surprisingly is.

Who have you been playing as Harlequin? You're on the same server as the Japanese, right? I need to snag the Japanese version of this so I can play more folks.

15. HarlequinRogue

Jan 20, 2012
    Shanghai
    Currently Kensou, king and another third. Games are really hard to find in the Asia server and the lag is awful

16. DoctaMario

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    That's funny I would have thought games would be more plentiful on the Asian server. :( Sucks about the lag too. I've actually been able to play decent speed games on 3G here (and we're talking about iffy 3G too.) The connection isn't perfect, but it's quite playable.

I've noticed a lot of King players online lately. I started playing her a week or so ago and all the sudden every player I played seems to have King or Kyo on their team. She's really good though, I can see why she gets a lot of love.

17. HarlequinRogue

Jan 20, 2012
    Shanghai
    I haven't gotten a connection better than 2.

And I've run into people who have 0w/0l and 76% battle completion rate. wth?

18. TenOnez

TenOnez Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    My guess is that they have "Battle Record Update" off. With that off, you can play matches but it won't show your wins and losses and it won't update your rank.

19. DoctaMario

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Seems pointless to me, but meh, whatever.

Can you actually play friendly matches on there if you don't invite anyone off your friends list or will it just time out every time like it does for me?

20. fffan7777

fffan7777 Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's possible, it's just that the few that purchased this game tend to stick to ranked matches without updating their cards. It's exactly like doing a friendly match search on volt where you can invite someone, or just push the top right button to find a random.

On a side note, I wonder if the admins can clear this empty pg.55 that's clickable yet it doesn't exists....