★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
12-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOSgamer1980 View Post
Thank you ColinR. That gives me a lot of perspective.

I hadn't considered playing the game like you've characterized it either. I was going right for AI jugulars! Haha!
You're very welcome, I started by doing the same, and I realized I was winning too hard at the expense of having fun. Board games are inherently competitive, but they assume(d) a set of rules which could be too complicated for an AI to properly evaluate, such as taking irrational risks just for the sake of role playing. An AI won't do that, but you as a human player could, for instance, handicap yourself. Let's say you play a priest, who never uses weapons. The game as it stands now, with the expansion, has several ways of getting rid of unwanted cards. So you could, in theory, play a priest with no weapons. Fun? You decide. But deff not competitive.

The very few times I played it with friends, it was a lot of fun, because we would (passively of course) alternate between being competitive and just being stupid about it. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to replayability, and I can honestly say I keep this game around because once every few months, the rules change and more content is actually added, which is why I look at it as an investment: yea, it'll cost me 60+ bucks for everything eventually, but when I wanna get all competitive about a game, I'll go play a fighter or something. This game (solo) is in my opinion more about a chill way to tell an exciting story. It's too random to be skill based, which is why I stopped looking at it as a competitive game.

It's an interesting perspective though, just like you said. I'm sure there have to be some forum groups here who play it competitively, maybe you can get in touch with them and find out more. I don't play it online ever, so I don't know who you'd talk to specifically.

Last edited by CalinR; 12-22-2015 at 01:40 PM.
12-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I think I'm going to "Xenoshyft" it for awhile, meaning I'm going to control three or four characters and pretend they're a party and if anyone gets the maguffin the whole crew is invited to the victory party.

So I guess that said, I understand where you're coming from.

Also, I blew $12 on all of the expansions!
12-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOSgamer1980 View Post
I think I'm going to "Xenoshyft" it for awhile, meaning I'm going to control three or four characters and pretend they're a party and if anyone gets the maguffin the whole crew is invited to the victory party.

So I guess that said, I understand where you're coming from.

Also, I blew $12 on all of the expansions!
Hahahaha that's an awesome idea, sort of like an uneasy Mexican standoff between everybody in a typical D&D party. You won't regret the purchase, I expect. 500 adventure cards I wanna say. That's a level of replayability that's though to beat if you think that you probably spend 30 seconds per turn and maybe draw 1 or two adventure cards a turn.

Arguendo, if none repeats, you should be able to play for around 2 hours straight without seeing the same card lol.
02-05-2016, 12:26 PM
$0.99 now!
It's a steal!!!

How is the game on the iphone 6+ ?
02-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdreh View Post
$0.99 now!
It's a steal!!!

How is the game on the iphone 6+ ?
Great!

We play this one passing my 6+ around with the screen mirrored to our Apple TV.

Quick to set up, and you don't have to worry about the 2-year-old knocking over one of the many stacks of cards... (I've got a near-complete 2nd edition set, missing Dragons...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!