Get an iPad air or wait?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by drez, Apr 2, 2014.

1. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    So getting back into ios gaming again after a 2-3 year break , I'm anxious to get a new iPad. I was thinking about an iPad air but id hate to pick one up to only have a new one come out with an A8 processor soon.

Any advice on if I should wait or go ahead and get the Air? I haven't followed the iPad release schedule much recently but I do remember the iPad 4 coming soon after the 3rd gen, which is why I'm hesitant.

Also, how do people like the mini retina compared to the Air?

2. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I like the Air, and I do think it's well worth the asking price. Although that's the case, if you're okay waiting a good while, there are already rumors floating around about a new iPad with a bunch of cool features supposedly releasing in the fall.

3. I would wait for the ipad pro. I want an ipad with a bigger screen that I can use as a laptop or console with hdmi and a ios 7 joystick.

4. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Is that the rumored 12 inch one?

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The retina iPad Mini is just an underclocked iPad Air that is significantly lighter and smaller. I personally hate it and mine is just gathering dust on my desk as it is too tiny to type on.

In general, iPads release on an annual cycle. iPad 4 was the exception and not the rule.

Always buy the latest iPad or soon you will find that you will miss features as although iOS updates will install, only the most current iDevices are allowed to access the full feature set.

Since you will be gaming, you need iPad 2014...

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    The iPad Air is great. Released in November I think, so next one is due in November this year? Want to wait? There will always be something better coming in the future. Just depends on whether the current offering fits your needs.

8. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    You won't get anything if you keep waiting for a better product. If you can buy it, buy it and have fun.

I would upgrade when Apple puts 4G RAM to go with the 64bit chip though.

9. Yes, exactly that is what I am looking for, a 4gb ipad pro.

10. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Dream on. Apple won't include 4gb of ram for a very long time.

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I think iPad will reach 1TB of storage before approaching 4GB of RAM...

iPadwhoRunsHisWindows8on2GBofRAM...

12. My Note 3 already has 3 gb of memory and no stupid safari memory resetting tabs all the time or random crashing.

If Samsung can do it, Apple can do it.

13. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    That's a bit melodramatic. I'm on the iPad 3 and I've yet to find a game that doesn't run fine - and the only feature I can think of that I'm missing out on is Airdrop - which is pretty unimportant - especially when I've got the Flick app.

That said, if you can hold out, the next iPad will probably have 2gb ram.

Don't hold your breath for an iPad pro though.

14. I can only hold my breath for 60 seconds. Or I will die. :p

15. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    "I can only hold my breath for 60 seconds. Or I will die." totally sounds like the name of a Japanese videogame or anime or manga...