Question about advertising.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ArchCarrier, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ArchCarrier

ArchCarrier New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Hello, i would like to know if there's a way for us to advertise our (currently under development) game on the site, if so, what's the cost? i can't seem to find a link or private contact with the information.
    thanks.

2. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
  3. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    Are you really sure that you want to spend money on advertising? I've found it very difficult to recoup your investment and there are more cost-effective ways of raising product awareness.

Unless you're using investors money, of course, in which case spend away! :)

4. ArchCarrier

ArchCarrier New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    thanks nvx

yeah, we've got an investor. still we'd like to minimize costs, so what ways would you suggest to raise product awareness more cost-effectively?

5. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    I've personally found it's all about community building. Start small and go bigger from there. Is there a game dev community in your city / state? Engage with them, get them 100% on side and go out from there.

Post about your game. Ask questions about design, run polls, run competitions. Giving away a few free iPhones is actually pretty cheap marketing and will probably draw a lot more notice than the equivalent worth of advertising. Be entertaining. Give people a reason to listen to you.

As an example we released our game on the same day as "Knights of the Round Cable". We had $0 for marketing, whereas Chillingo bought massive site takeovers for pretty much every major review site. Knights of the Round has outsold us world wide - EXCEPT for Australia where our support base and group of fans currently see us 100 places above Knights in the local charts.

Fans beat ads any day. And you can't make fans with advertising.

6. ArchCarrier

ArchCarrier New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    thanks Jason, we're actually doing that sort of stuff, local gaming communities specially on facebook, the thing is that we're based in Venezuela and the local market isn't as big as we would like, and most venezuelans would rather die than pay for apps!, still it's CHALLENGE ACCEPTED, hah!, but thanks for the insight and we will consider everything you have said. we're making a marketing budget and we need to know the cost of it in order to make decisions.

7. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012