Gaming and iPod Touch 5th. Gen

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by quangvietnguyen, Sep 22, 2013.

1. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Apple has just released iPhone 5S with 64-bit processor,said to be twice as fast the A6 chip which 2 times more powerful than A5 chip
    So my question is Will the iPod touch 5th. Gen be able to keep up with the graphically intensive games at least for next year? :(

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Some games are going to be optimized for the newest hardware. As in, they will have more/better effects, graphics, etc.
    very few developers will be willing to lose out on sales by making a game that will play exclusively on the newest hardware. I'd think your 5th gen touch wouldn't hit any serious compatibility issues for another year or so.

3. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    dont worry ipod 5g will be full supported next 2 years...

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #4 undeadcow, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    I agree with this, many developers will want to ensure their games run on 5G (if not 4G) to reach as wide an audience as possible. Also, I suspect the indie developer dominated iOS game scene won't necessarily be equip to fully harness new technology sufficient to require only 5S+ for some time.

Some have said that despite the 5S claims of having a monstrous graphics display there isn't enough RAM to make suitable use of graphics chip for gaming anyway.

When we do start seeing more performance pushing titles come out, I personally will be more concerned about Apple's storage space limitations than I will be about compatibility (games like Infinity Blade III might be impressive but with 1.5GB download size my device can only hold so many, successive more graphically detailed games will bust my storage).

5. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    thanks guys,I worried because my ipod 5 had trouble running some games like deus ex,xcom and even arma tactics
    anyway,glad to hear your feedback :)

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Consider rebooting your device, closing apps out of multitasking, or freeing up some hard drive space to see if that helps any. I only have a iPod Touch 5G and have had not had any perform issues (but I do not own those games you listed, as worthy as they seem).

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree ! I mean for Apple to give us a 128 gig device than a 64 wont cost them that much at all. I dont know why they dont, go back a few years and you had very few games over 1 gig, now you have plenty. 64 gig might sound a lot but with a lot of people with large apps, music/films/books etc it gets quite tight.