Meteorfall - Roguelike deck builder

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by slothwerks, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Could definitely be related to the new UI for displaying gems, I'll add it to my list to debug. Thanks for the feedback!

2. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    #142 Armadi, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Edit: I'm playing on the new iphone update. 1.0.114.

Love the new art at the beginning and on credits page. Love the game. Keep up your hard work!

bug 1: I used boast to kill an enemy as bruno when all my attack cards were fully upgraded and red text appeared on the screen saying a fatal error occurred. I was still able to play but the red text didn't go away.

bug 2: after dying with bruno I started a new game as greybeard. A merchant appeared and offered to buy an atack 3 out of my deck early on when I shouldn't have had one. I sold it and the game froze. I assume this was the attack 3 from bruno's leftover deck.

I closed out the game and force restarted it. I was able to continue as if the transaction with the merchant never happened. I continued on a bit and then encountered a merchant and sold him my ice bolt. When I did I received the following error: Fatal error! InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to current state of the object. And the game completely froze.

3. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

#143 slothwerks, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks! I've added the first one to my list of bugs to investigate. I thought I'd considered that case, but perhaps not. (EDIT: Just found a fix for this! It'll be included in the next update)

Regarding #2, I just released a patch that I think fixes this. I heard about this issue from some other people as well. (EDIT: If you're on 114, then perhaps not - it sounds like there might be some 'bleed over' from previous games when starting a new game, which is pretty weird. I'll investigate this further.

I found a workaround for the iOS issue and pushed an update for iOS as well. As always, the latest patch notes are here: http://meteorfall-game.com/patch_notes.txt

The latest changes for iOS include the 3rd & 4th update:

FOURTH UPDATE (iOS 1.0.114, Android 1.0.64

Balance changes
    * (Berserk) Costs 2 (from 3)
    * (Overload) Reduced damage

Bug Fixes & Improvements
    * (Mace) Fixed an issue where Mace triggered at 5, not 4 damage
    * Fixed a bug where killing an enemy with Lightning Storm and quickly playing a card would cause a crash
    * Fixed an issue where the "Merchant's Bargain" quest would offer to buy cards no longer in your deck
    * Fixed some text cut-off issues for narrow devices (eg: Samsung S8)
    * Can now swipe up on the end-of-turn recap dialog
    * Added score recap on the Victory/Defeat screen
    * Coins are now considered as part of your final score
    * The 'Demon Inside' quest has reduced penalties

THIRD UPDATE (iOS 1.0.109, Android 1.0.61)

Balance changes
    * (Meditate) Now costs 2 stamina. If used with no spells to charge, you gain 1 action
    * (Rusty Helm) Bruno starts with this card in his starting deck
    * You now heal completely after defeating a boss

Bug Fixes & Improvements
    * (Plate Armor) Fixed a bug with the description
    * Fixed a bug where 4-5 cards per character were not included in their loot table. You should see some new cards from the 2nd area onwards
    * Fixed a bug in the 'Band of Clones' quest where the cloned card was not of the appropriate level
    * Added a minimum level to the 'Demon Inside' quest so that it won't appear too early
    * Updated the diamond graphic on the defeat/victory screen
    * Added new UI for showing gem count on the main screen
    * Fixed a bug where 'Not Enough Gold!' would appear off screen in the Blacksmith
    * Fixed a bug where 'Loading' would appear permanently on the score screen
    * Fixed a bug where the 'crowd chatter' sound wasn't turned off by the sound settings
    * Tutorial now shows 'swipe arrows' instead of the bouncing arrow, when appropriate
    * Updated UI for Credits

4. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Do let me know if you still see this in the latest patch (1.0.64 for Android). I wasn't able to reproduce this issue when I tried it myself.

5. Toxicle

Toxicle New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    I'll keep an eye on it - I wasn't able to figure out how to reproduce myself either, it seemed random, but if it happens again I'll mention it.

6. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Hey, I sent 2 requests over a week ago asking if I could still get in to help beta I know it’s been going on a little while now but I’d still like to give it a go I’ve beta tested a bunch of iOS games and I just got a new iPhone 8 plus yesterday (upgraded from 6plus) I sent the request to sloth here, a private one with my TestFlight and I also sent a request through a message on Twitter.

7. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Hey! Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you - I try to respond to all requests. I sometimes do miss DM's on Twitter since Twitter separates out DM's from people you follow vs people you don't, and it can be easy to miss the later.

For now, I am already having trouble keeping up with the testers I have, so I'm not adding anymore at this point. I do appreciate your support though, and hope you'll still check out the game when it releases in mid January.

8. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Started a new game as Rose, beat the first boss and was onto the second. Ran into the Swamplina event and converted one of my heals to a random card, then ran into a merchant event and sold a heal to him for 10 gold. This froze the game. Maybe I sold the heal card that had been converted to a different card so was no longer in my deck? Dunno. I had 2 heals in my deck before getting rid of them both.

9. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #149 cbos0503, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    @slothwerks - Loving the changes so far. The new intro splash screen is fantastic! The Meditate change is nice - makes the card more relevant. I still think Observe needs a bit of a nerf (but maybe not because I've yet to beat the game).

The potions seem a little weak to me... especially the invis potion. I've never taken it because a 50% chance to dodge for 1 turn doesn't seem worth the extra card in the deck. Maybe they'd seem more useful if they were available to use on demand? At the cost of stamina or something? I don't know, but as it is, I almost never take them and don't think I've ever used one.

Still running into a bug with the available charges not being correctly displayed in the deck view. Card charges will be depleted after leveling up, for example. I rested right after leveling up, because I wasn't sure if my cards recharged... and after resting the charges were still missing.

Just a quick little 2 cents.

Edit: Just had a weird bug combo. I was Rose. Got a fireball as a treasure. Sold the fireball at the merchant quest... so I no longer had a fireball. And then I cloned the fireball that I shouldn't have had.

10. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

I think I have this one solved - the way I handled quests had a bug (don't use singletons kids, not even once) that lead to quests from a previous adventure, including a selected card, show up in a different adventure. This meant that for cards that were pulling from your deck, they could include cards from your previous run - oops. I'm not 100% sure this is solved, but I feel that the fix I did should resolve it. I'm hoping to push the patch this Sunday/Monday once I'm done testing it.

11. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Glad you're liking the changes!

I think the potions are actually quite strong for the most part! The only one I think is weak is Stamina, which I might remove or just to recover all stamina. Invisibility I think is actually really strong. It's basically the same as a Level 3 Dodge ability, which is a great card. Considering enemies towards the end might be playing 4-5 cards per turn, if you end up dodging half those attacks, you could be avoiding a lot of damage. I actually like trying to stockpile potions before a boss. Heal Potion is another one of my favorites, and the Fire Potion is great early on. Speed Potion is a no brainer because it cycles itself (gives 2 actions)

I need to look into that issue, I'm seeing it reported by a few testers.

re: Weird bug - I think the root cause is the same as in issue Armadi posted above. Quests were a) possibly giving you options from previous quests and b) prematurely calculating which card to pull from your deck. I *THINK* I've fixed the problem, but need to do some more testing. The fix should be included in the next patch, this Sunday/Monday if my testing goes OK.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

12. cbos0503

May 9, 2015
    Hmm. I need to give them a shot.

13. cbos0503

May 9, 2015
    #153 cbos0503, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    I've gotten this error a couple times. Most recent time I got it, I used shadow burn to kill and enemy that had a fire shield. Don't remember exactly what happened the first time to trigger it.

Also, not sure if this is intentional or not, but charges don't seem to restore with the heal after defeating a boss.

Attached Files:

14. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    The updates have really improved the game. Great job! I sent a few issues; diamond amount showing up in-game and status text getting cut-off when zooming on the card.

15. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Playtesting

Continue to love the game, thanks for the opportunity to playtest!

Great new slothwerks art.

Just beat the game with Mischief and ran into an "argument out of range" error message (see screenshot). My score was listed as 252 in game but shows as 247 on the high score chart. (first screenshot is game win screen, second is what happens if I try to continue)

Suggestion: have separate high score charts for each character. This is good both from a balance perspective- you won't need to balance the characters against each other as much and from a replay perspective- some players may want to try to beat their personal best scores with each character.

Stuff to do with gems: you could have unlockable perks like- more choices in treasure chests, cheaper cards in the shop, starting gold, and maybe something interesting like...

"sanctuary" - each adventure gets an extra encounter that is always one of the good options- blacksmith, store, rest, temple, etc.

Balance: I'd like the uberlich to have more hit points. Would really like to see more of his evil tricks. I've never seen what happens if the meteor hits (instant death?) or if those 5 doom counters get filled in.

Mischief seems really strong. She can pretty easily make a deck that cycles with stab and hits for tons of damage with eviscerate. Replacing a few stabs with spider bites in her starting deck may be enough.

Attached Files:

16. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

re: Lich - you were able to continue after beating the Lich? I thought I squashed that bug, but perhaps I missed something or broke something again. I'll look into his balance as well. He may be too easy at the moment, compared to even some of the other bosses.

re: Separate high score charts - Not a bad idea. I might do this post release, since I have quite a lot to tackle before release as it is :p Definitely makes sense.

re: Gems - Yeah, one thing I've kind of realized is that maybe I made it TOO easy to unlock everything. I would like to add more stuff post release to unlock, but experienced players will probably just unlock all of this right away too. I am a bit against adding too many passive buffs that make the game easier. Monster Slayers (Steam) did this, and I felt like it ruined most of the game.

Extra thanks for the bug reports! I'm really trying to wind down development so I can push towards a stable release candidate, and getting these last bugs squashed is my top priority. Definitely appreciate you taking the time to screenshot them! My big regret is that on iOS, for unknown reasons, I'm not getting the full stacktrace, which would be really helpful for debugging these. Seems it might be some limitation of Unity/release builds. In any case, more bug reports + descriptions of how you got there is always super helpful!

Thanks again for all your great feedback and bug reports!

17. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

I'm not sure about this one either since I haven't been able to reproduce it :( iOS isn't giving me a full stacktrace is release mode, so debugging it has been quite difficult. It's the second time though that I've seen Fireshield mentioned, so could be something with that. If you do see it again and remember how you got there, I'd love to get more steps to help me repro it. Thanks so much for reporting the issue!

18. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Is this nearing release yet?

19. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Still a bit to go, but I do have a date in mind (mid-January 2018) Right now, I'm focused on polishing the game - fixing bugs, cleaning up little UI issues, etc... I'm working with a publisher for China as well, so I have some tasks related to that. Lastly, getting together various marketing materials, website, etc...

20. LANCEtheLAW

LANCEtheLAW Active Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Loving the game.. been loving the game.. here is some slow gameplay for anyone interested. Keep up the great work. Can't wait for the official release.
    YouTube link to 30+ minutes of gameplay (sorry I'm out of town and only on mobile.. copy and paste the link)
    https://youtu.be/JQTykVC83NE