Warning: "Temple Jump" = shill

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by blakespot, Feb 3, 2012.

1. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    #1 blakespot, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    I don't even want to post the app store link to Temple Jump by sleazy Anton Sinelnikov -- but it's a $.99 shill on Temple Run that has a deceptive icon and just a title screen in its screenshot gallery.

And it's #1 ranked in the App Store right now...

I wanted to share a few shots.

The game is worthless -- please avoid.

bp

Attached Files:

2. fpadillao

fpadillao Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Indie Game and Freelance Developer.
    Columbus, OH
    App Store Consumer Behavior

After Temple Jump and other similar titles I'm wondering about App Store consumer behavior; I understand that now people make mistakes because it is on the top listings and because name a icon are similar to Temple Run.

I thought users look at description and ratings before push the buy button, it its probably people start rating it when it was too late and sounds like people trust a lot on apple listings.

I think iOS need a shortcut to rate downloaded apps.

3. RJ1

RJ1 Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I need to finish up 'Wheres my waiter' fast!

4. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    #4 danrel, Feb 3, 2012
    It doesn't appear to be available in the US App store anymore. Maybe it's in the process of getting taken down? Let's hope!

Edit: Just checked the App store by searching his name and TJ doesn't even come up in the search results anymore :)

Edit#2: Yep, it's been taken down. 'Where's My Water' is #1 again.

5. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    #5 SwimCeej, Feb 3, 2012
    Something was quite fishy there. The publisher of that app still has ~9 apps in the store - http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/anton-sinelnikov/id365570370 - but previously there were 66 by that publisher, and quite a lot of piggybacking titles like Angry (whatever), Plants vs. Zombie. I dunno if it was because the game was in the process of being taken down or if this was part of the scam but in a search I saw those appear/disappear several times.

I'd love to know what this guy that broke through that other scammy developers haven't been as readily able to do.

Like these people - http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/best-mobilegame/id480591333. They got one of their Zuma clones in "What's Hot" a few weeks ago.

*Just* cloning a name of a top app hasn't been enough in the past that I can think of. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skulls-trucks-jump-to-survive/id408690156?mt=8 / http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angry-birdies/id408405447?mt=8

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Unfortunately this happens daily in the App Store...

7. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Ripping work off, absolutely. But making it to number one in the charts... a testimony to temple run's success I suppose.

8. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Or possibly how mindless people are when they purchase apps. Cant believe some people actually thought that it was a legit game, just by looking at the title and its resemblance to Temple Run. But people really need to carefully read the app description and review before buying, as it looked shady from the beginning. "Let the buyer beware..." <---I suppose :p

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Call me a jerk, but I'm actually glad that it made it to the #1 app. People need to learn to read the app description and previous reviews from customers. I MEAN REALLY, IS IT NOT OBVIOUS THAT IT'S A RIP OFF?!
    Sometimes this just needs to happen so that people learn a lesson.

Don't get me wrong, these kinds of apps absolutely piss me off, but what pisses me off more are idiotic customers.

10. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Precisely

11. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I dont get how people can fall for this...even my 10 year old bro knows the difference between real and fake.

12. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I dont know how you can blame the customer.

So many times people buy games based on hearing about them from friends/websites, when they see "temple jump" they just assume that's the one that people were taking about and wont bother to read the review.

That's why apps like these should be removed, because it's basically conning people.

techcrunch article about this: http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/03/app-store-fakes/

seems like Apple is cracking down.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its a difficult one, i rarely read reviews for games as so many of them are the usual fake ones (As they're trying to win a $10 gift voucher just like many threads here), people are so quick to buy something though. Most reviews are worthless, wish forums wouldnt allow companies to ask for fake reviews just for kids to try to win a voucher, just ruins what the app store and its reviews should be about

Look at a lot of those arcade apps, people think theyre getting games when in actual fact if they read the description it says theyre getting sounds from those games with screenshots, so many people get fooled

Its like that famous story on ebay about someone selling an x-box, it sold for a lot of money as the buyer presumed they were getting an actual x-box, the description actually read you would be getting the box which an x-box came in!

Theres a lot of young kids who get fooled though, i've seen countless times threads from spammers here advertising ipods for $200 if you send money to them by western union (yeah right !) and still you get people replying asking for more details.

Surprised how many shill games or 'illegal' games are getting through the app store at the moment, must admit i didnt complain when iMame was there for 48 hours

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh wow. I didn't know it got to Top charts... Haha, people are really dumb - forreal. *antoine dodson voice*

15. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    You really have to look at it from a different way. To us, yes it is mindless and stupid since we are on a gaming website and probably care enough about what we buy to look at the description, screenshots, etc. But what about the kid in between classes who wants to buy the neat jumping game he saw his friend play, and sure enough its sitting right there at number one on the charts. Most people really do not care enough to read, its not that their mindless. At the end of the day, its 99c to them. Not 99c they might put on another game, but 99c that might have gone to a pack of gum or candybar... worthless. This is the up and downside of digital distribution in mobile gaming at such cheap prices. The game goes from worth little to worth nothing when the customer finds out its garbage.

Like I said above, I really think its not so much a people being idiots, but:

A. having a different sense of worth for games than the population here, meaning no point to them in reading description
    B. and also not having quite as much familiarity with the appstore

But at the end of the day, most people do not care for 1,2,5, or 10 bucks just disappearing in the digital world. It is almost like a resurgence of the arcade era in digital form, but the game has even less attention of the customer (thus comes in farmville rather than an arcade fighter).

16. Bawls

Bawls Active Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Thanks glad i didnt buy this, even though i wasnt even thinking about buying it

17. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    TR

I saw that crap the other day, I found it odd how it was top in the appstore.
    I'm guessing many people thought it was an Temple Run remake.

I thought that too, either that or it was a complete spam.
    No images besides the title screen as well. x.x

18. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Any app with only the title screen as the "screenshot" (if it can even be called that) automatically = scam/fake/shill/illegal. But what can we do? Apple has no review team that functions with any sign of intelligence. Make an app called "Final Fantasies", 100% Apple will approve it, then wait til it makes enough scam money (since Apple receives 30% of revenue) and the consumers begin to protest, then pull it. Apple still gets to keep the money it made.

19. csddavies

csddavies Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Westerville, OH
    Here's another developer doing exactly the same thing.

http://t.co/taDdoNaq

64 apps and a russian support page. Very similar to the other guy they took down.

20. jenkido

jenkido New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    #2 Paid App in Entertainment:
    Temple Guns

Same blue icon as Temple Jump, same single screenshot (with guns added).

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id500022688

How does this stuff get past Apple's review?