Universal Arkanoid vs Space Invaders (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, May 18, 2017.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yeah, my sentiments too. And with both leaderboard styles on top of the story...infinite replayability

2. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    Acorn Electron was my first computer too :) Someone recently gave me a spare Electron, one day I'll get it modded to run in the USA where I now live. Elite got me through some dark times.

But I digress, loving this game too :)

3. Deckard74

Deckard74 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Well it's great to hear from a fellow Electron veteran! I played the hell out of the original Elite on that game, it was amazing at the time how they managed to fit an entire galaxy into 32K of memory, you definitely used your imagination back then #

Yes this game has some hidden depths to it, using different characters to strategically clear thise invaders/blocks, it's quite easy at the moment but I imagine it will get more challenging on the Hard setting.

4. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #44 Qwertz555, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Speaking normal mode only...
    The first hard nut to crack was level 40. I had to juggle (and buying) different characters to find a fitting one for this task. I'm on level 68 now, and between some damn hard shells, there are always some quite easy ones. When i think of beating all these levels in hard mode...oh boy, good luck, the replay ability is huge if you want to complete this game in full. HUGE.

Edit: i'm glad i can play any level in no order in hard mode. This helps a lot, since some of them are almost impossible to beat (without powerup). Maybe with some later coming unlocked characters it gets "easier".

5. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Total spontaneous buy and so worth it so far... I haven't tired without wifi yet but I'm assuming it'll work... I have two big flights coming up and know this will help pass the time!

6. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I can't believe this game isn't skyrocketing up the top charts...this is Arcade wizardry in its most refined form. Truly among the top arcade games I've played in years.

7. forcemajeure

forcemajeure Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Male
    QA
    Great game! Level 58 is really hard to beat!

8. Wicuicad

Wicuicad Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2015
    #48 Wicuicad, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Just got through all 150 levels, amazing game~

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's been a couple of days but I'm still amazed that Squeenix opted to go fully premium with this. Like, you can't effing put it down and there's nothing that gets in your way of this incredible time sink. It's also the perfect mix of arcade and strategic gameplay, effectively killing the need to play any other brick breakers until something this fresh comes along again.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Well put my friend...

11. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    You probably beat lv 58 already, but Nico (unlocked early, 1st characters page) helped me through many levels/sections.

My favorite right now is Nancy (unlocked after beating boss lv 75), she helps me a lot in hard mode...so far.

Attached Files:

12. forcemajeure

forcemajeure Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Male
    QA
    You right already beated lvl 58! Thanks for the tips.

13. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    The huge fun and challenge that i have let me put this pearl into my GOTY contenders. Congrats!

Two little helpful tips, maybe...
    - Ranking mode with skill on, besides knowing more and more enemies/shots patterns and getting better game by game, the Ninja skill (unlocked at lv 60 or 45 already?) improved my highscore from under 400k to over 950k.
    - Grinding some extra coins for powerups is best done with boss fights, min. 500+ coins.

Two minus/missing points...
    - The replay should be directly and therefor way faster.
    - Overall Silver + Gold medal leaderboards. Replay fun would grow even more.

Congrats and you're welcome.

14. rtificial

rtificial Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    Great game and nice seeing some of you on the leaderboards. Last night I seen AndyC8 on top

15. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    The game seems okay (super easy to start off with), but I am not enjoying it as much as I usually enjoy brick breaker type games because I am so focussed on the lower half of the screen, trying to reflect all the bullets, that I literally lose sight of most of what is going on above. Part of the fun of this type of game is to aim your paddle to hit the blocks - but I am only able to vary my shot and hope it hits something as it bounces around.

Unless I just don't need to hit all the bullets.?... Can anyone tell me how many shots you can miss before you lose, or does that even matter? Maybe I am playing it all wrong.

16. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    If I remember correctly, in normal mode, you can miss as many bullets as you like. I think there are penalties in hard mode, but I didn't play many levels on hard - just enough to get the medal.

I recommend sticking with the game, though. The further you get, the more important that strategic shot placement becomes. The second two-thirds are also considerably more enjoyable than the first. Definitely one of my favourite iOS games of 2017.

17. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Cool. Thanks. It will be much more enjoyable if I don't have to worry about catching/reflecting all the enemy fire.

18. nreyes

nreyes Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Help with Japanese phrases

Hello. I have started learning basic Japanese but I can’t workout what the character says at the end of each level. Can someone post the key phrases that are used in this game? Thanks.

19. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Also, shots, bullets, bolts, projectiles, etc. that reach the bottom of the screen penalize you 3 seconds for each

20. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Can't even download data...

I hate the fact of having to download additional data within games... specially since I lack a decent connection... I can't get past 49%

(╯‵□′)╯~ ~~┻━┻

Attached Files: