Worst trends in mobile gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coolpepper43, May 15, 2014.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #1 coolpepper43, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    In this thread you can discuss the worst trends that are currently being using in mobile gaming.

I have been seeing a lot of free 2 play games for little kids where you clean up a dirty boy, make a disgusting foot pretty, fix a broken car, clean ears... What is the appeal of this? I'm not 6 years old but do little kids like virtual hygiene games? What is this genre called? Soon they will have virtual choir games where you take out the trash, clean toilets, vacuum... Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    The AppStore is catered for everyone, not just you. These 'trends' are here to stay like it or not.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #3 psj3809, May 15, 2014
    People not buying games and instead taking promo code after promo code

Devs need to make money, i know you dont like freemium, try buying some games though ! (Original poster)

If we all sat there on release wednesday and took code after code then devs wouldnt make anything. Just find it funny that people then moan about freemium ! This is one reason why they go freemium ! You want less freemium, buy games !

Also another bad trend - taking promo codes and not once then saying how good the game is ! Thats the whole point of promo codes - to help promo-te the game. People just take codes and the majority then dont say if its good/bad etc

Thats one thing i dislike about mobile gaming !

Think we should have a thread about positive things for iOS gaming as theres way too much negativity. For me the positives far far outweight the negatives

4. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Why am I being attacked? I bought two games today and several in the last week. If I see a promo code and the game looks interesting why can I not use it if it's posted publicly for everyone? At least I don't lurk. I always say when I use a code. I never realized this thread would create such hostility toward me. If this thread is going to cause such a problem please delete it. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #5 psj3809, May 15, 2014
    Not being attacked, just you were talking about some of the bad issues in mobile gaming and to me this is one.

I just wish people (not just you !) would tell us about the games they take promo codes for, dont get me wrong theres plenty of others but its only because i saw you took so many yesterday.

Yeah its good you say when you used a code but lets start telling others who are on the fence what the game is like, that helps as those codes are to promote the game. Again its not just you at all, its just frustrating when lots of people wait to hear what a games like (before buying it) and instead all the promo code grabbers dont say a word about the game. A waste. I wish devs would only give out codes via PM so they know who has them and so they can then ask them to talk about the game.

I mostly ignore promo codes as i want the dev to get maximum money (and the games are cheap anyway), if a dev doesnt make enough money on his game he might leave app development and get a different job. I want these devs to make money

Dont take it too personal, just frustrating though when people dont tell us what the games are like after taking so many codes

6. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #6 coolpepper43, May 15, 2014
    I do think that you make a very good point. But I am not sure if there is some sort unwritten law about if you take a code you need to leave feedback. Some devs ask for it, others just want you to post which code you used and others don't say. You have come across a very interesting issue with promo codes them selfs. Is it immoral to use a promo code and not give any feedback? Also, I am not sure if it's just me, but when a dev asks for feedback and the game is just really bad I feel like I am obligated to say the game is good because I got a promo code. The same thing could be said about the review contests. I definitely do not want to make anyone upset about this and I apologize if I did. I am very sorry.
    Anyways, I think everyone has ignored or missed my worst trend. This has nothing to do with free to play at all. It's more about what constitutes as a game for little children.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To me personally i think people should let us know if the games good or not. Again to me thats the whole point of promo (promotion) codes to help promote your game. If they give out codes and no one says good (or bad) then theres no point giving out free games to people.

Plus TA is a great forum, it'll help the users if people say good game or not. Some people 'take one for the team' and buy a game to see if its good, if someone gets a code it would just be good to hear what its like. To me that makes sense.

Its like going to a screening of a new film and when your friends ask you 'whats the film like ? its not out for another week' and you dont tell them !

Again i wasnt picking on you, it was only because i saw you took a few codes yesterday but havent heard what the games like for any of them.

Games are cheap but i admit for 'some' of them i want to read users reviews before buying (also due to not having much space on my phone, if a games say 100 meg i want to know whether its worth installing or not).

Again dont take it personally but it would be great if anyone who took a code said if the games good or not (take as much time as it would talking about not doing it in this thread !)

8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    If the developer hasn't specifically asked for feedback then it's like seeing a film and not telling your friends what it's like regardless of whether they're interested.

If a developer doesn't ask for feedback then there's no reason to think they're expecting it.

To me the worst trend is games switching from paid to freemium. Be one thing and stick with it. And if you really can't get a profit out of paid then bring out a new freemium version rather than messing with the original.