Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRB4 View Post
What's strange is that online only seems to be required to start playing, not necessarily needed to keep playing, at least in my experience. Yesterday I started playing on my wifi network, then I left my house while still playing and I was able to play several dungeons and use all buildings while away from any kind of internet connection. The only thing I was unable to do was view any of the IAP sections of the shop. However, when I switched to another app and then tried to switch back to the game it was frozen, so I force closed it from the app switcher and when I tried to reopen it I kept getting a "no connection" error.

So I am not sure WHY this game even needs an internet connection in the first place, but as long as you start the game while connected to the internet and DON'T turn off your device or switch or close the app you can keep playing after leaving your internet connection.

It would definitely be preferable if they just removed the internet requirement entirely though.
Thank you for your reply, I didn't think of leaving it open after initially connecting. I'm not sure why it's a requirement either, but it seems like more and more games are requiring a connection lately, which is a real bummer if you play on an iPod and have very little wifi access.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:17 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyordiedays View Post
Thank you for your reply, I didn't think of leaving it open after initially connecting. I'm not sure why it's a requirement either, but it seems like more and more games are requiring a connection lately, which is a real bummer if you play on an iPod and have very little wifi access.
Yep, I too play on an iPod Touch 5g, so it's wifi only for me too

What I find absolutely ridiculous is when developers add the compass requirement in order to remove support for older devices. Unfortunately that requirement also blacklists the iPod Touch 5g (Tiny Death Star and Pacific Rim I'm looking at you).
Old 05-09-2014, 06:08 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I'm level 9 and I've already come to the point where upgrades cost 250 premium currency (over $10) and I still have the starting pittance of 5 premium currency. Unless someone can tell me that you can get premium currency in-game, I'm just going to delete this. There's already more match-3 RPG's than I can hope to ever play and a great art style isn't enough to salvage obscene IAP.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:46 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajillion View Post
I'm level 9 and I've already come to the point where upgrades cost 250 premium currency (over $10) and I still have the starting pittance of 5 premium currency. Unless someone can tell me that you can get premium currency in-game, I'm just going to delete this. There's already more match-3 RPG's than I can hope to ever play and a great art style isn't enough to salvage obscene IAP.
Yeah, the biggest "balance issue" right now seems to be that if you want to be all you can be, you HAVE to break out the wallet.

Granted, that's fairly common on Freemium games, but particularly useful upgrades - boosting your Courage (Energy) by 20 or increasing your Power Attack by x4 or x5 - can ONLY be obtained through Gems. The multipliers are particularly ridiculous in cost. (There's a second +20 Courage that can be obtained through gold, but you'd have to fully upgrade the Trainer to be able to access that.)

[EDIT] Actually, I stand corrected, you can get the Power Attack x4 for either 250 Gems or (if you wait one more Trainer building upgrade) 7,500 Gold. The x5 one seems to be exclusive to Gems (400 of them, at that!). So it's not as bad as it first appears, assuming those x4 Multipliers don't stack.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Those few, gem-restricted upgrades could either be considered an "easy mode" that you have the OPTION to pay to unlock, or necessary abilities hidden behind a pay wall.

Last edited by Laire; 05-11-2014 at 05:46 PM..
Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 PM
iPhone 5

I am loving this game so far, let's see how long it takes me for the freemium wall to kick in. I really like the art style, and easy to understand stats, upgrades, and match ui. I have tried Horde of Heroes which a lot of people liked, but I felt leveling stat point allocation was a little too over the top for a casual game, and the matching block graphics were a little hard to look at - over time all of the block colors tend to blend into each other.

I have a couple of questions - does belonging to a guild in this game matter at all? I haven't seen any change, or any info in game about it beyond just joining. Can gems be earned in game? Seems really weird that they gave me 5 at the start, forced me to use them, and now there is no way to replenish any beyond IAP. And can anyone suggest any other match 3 rpgs that are similar to Puzzelot in terms of graphics?
Old 05-11-2014, 05:10 PM

This is a cute game, a decent homage to Puzzle Quest or Dungeon Raid. I am going to delete it because of one thing, though - I am sick and tired of match 3 games trying to 'hold my hand' by showing me matches on the board. I have been playing match 3 games for a while guys, it is getting insulting. Either only do it for the first few matches or have a toggle to shut it off, otherwise... DELETE.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:46 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilo View Post
I have a couple of questions - does belonging to a guild in this game matter at all? I haven't seen any change, or any info in game about it beyond just joining. Can gems be earned in game? Seems really weird that they gave me 5 at the start, forced me to use them, and now there is no way to replenish any beyond IAP. And can anyone suggest any other match 3 rpgs that are similar to Puzzelot in terms of graphics?
* Currently Guilds (and Facebook friends) don't really do much. You may encounter a guild member / Facebook friend on the world map in the same location as you are, in which case they'll show up about halfway through the dungeon and give you a free "potion heal." But there's no real guild interaction to speak of.

* As far as I can tell, you won't ever earn Gems through standard play. The Warriors' Chests look like they pretty much break the loot (and crafting) system, as you could spend 15 Gems to get a guaranteed rare drop, better than anything you'd be able to find or craft for about the first half of the game. (Seeing as how upgrading an uncommon item through a smith can cost four times as many Gems for a much lesser effect, it's safe to say nobody ever tested this one for game balance.)

Others have described it as fun for two days, then time to move on to something else. In its current form, I'm inclined to agree.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:51 AM
iPhone 5

It looks like premium currency can be found in game. I ran into a random event on a 5 energy dungeon. A goblin has escaped and you get 2 hours to chase him down. At the end of the dungeon you need to kill him in 10 turns, after that I got 5 gems. I'm liking this a lot, I did grind a bit for gold, and had to put it down because I ran out of energy a few times, but it's cool for a quick pick up and play.

Last edited by Cilo; 05-12-2014 at 01:31 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Is this for android?