ByteSize Games Announces iPhone Title FlipShip

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ByteSizeRick, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hey all,

My name is Richard Hoeg and I am a co-founder, along with my brother, Thomas Hoeg, the brains behind it all, of ByteSize Games, Inc., a Michigan start-up that recently announced it's first game, FlipShip, to be released this September. In order to give you a bit of flavor for the game, I've attached the bulk of today's announcement press release as well as some screen shots to this thread.

Hopefully we can answer any questions you may have about the game, talk design, and even give out some promo codes when we get a bit closer to release. In the meantime, comment away! We'd love to hear from you.

Rick

###

FlipShip: The addictive, space-based action game where one tap is all you need to turn the tables and score big

“FlipShip is the perfect ‘bitesize’ gaming experience,” said Chief Executive Officer Thomas Hoeg. “It captures the frenetic excitement of a twin-stick shooter or shoot-em-up, without the need for any joystick on screen. The controls are very intuitive and simple which makes the game very approachable, but the game itself is actually quite deep, with the player constantly making interesting choices about what to do next.”

In FlipShip, the player’s goal is deceptively simple: tilt the iPhone to move towards enemies of the same color, then let the ship’s automatic firing function take care of the rest. But that’s not the end of the story. Enemy ships of the opposite color present a constant danger, and while each successive enemy destroyed is worth just a bit more than the one before it, the points received for such destruction are still “at risk” until the player “flips”. For that they’ll need to tap the screen, “flipping” their ship into its opposite color and flipping their enemies from predators to prey. Of course “flipping” also reduces the player’s combo level back to zero, so they’ll most certainly want to hang on just as long as possible without tapping that screen.

“The player is constantly making the decision to wager their current points against the potential for future ones, and that keeps the experience tense and exciting even after they’ve logged many hours of playing time,” said Hoeg. “Trying to ‘thread the needle’ through a quickly closing gap in an enemy formation with five hundred thousand points on the line is a surprisingly tense experience for such a simple-seeming game, and that is what will keep people coming back for more.”

Should you “flip” or should you flee?

Score now or hold on for the promise of bigger rewards?

In FlipShip, the choice is yours.

Features

• Intuitive tilt-based gameplay keeps the player in control no matter how intense the action gets.

• Unique risk/reward scoring system increases the tension while combos (and the enemy’s numbers) rise.

• Six dynamically adjusting difficulty levels tailor FlipShip’s challenge to each player.

• Three different ships (each with their own speed, firing range, and special ability) offer three different ways to “flip” to big scores

• Procedurally generated backgrounds give FlipShip a different look every time

• Multiple in-game power-ups

• Full Gamecenter support with 50 separate achievements to earn

• In-app leaderboards let the player compare Flipship scores with friends (and enemies) across the world

• Optimized with high definition visuals for iPhone 4

Pricing and Availability

FlipShip will be available from the Apple App Store and through iTunes in September 2011. It will retail for $1.99, but to celebrate its launch week will initially be available for a price of $0.99.

About ByteSize

ByteSize Games, Inc., is the brainchild of Chief Executive Officer Thomas Hoeg, returning to his native state of Michigan to form the two-man operation after working on Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time in sunny Los Angeles for Burbank-based Insomniac Games.

“The name really describes the kind of games that we want to make”, said Hoeg. “Games that feature lots of simple, repeatable fun, that you can enjoy in small amounts or big. Whatever you want. We don’t want to make games that are overly complex or require a lot of additional learning to enjoy. From the moment you start, we want to make sure you can get right into the fun. You don’t have to earn it.”

###

Attached Files:

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Welcome to TA forums. Your game looks cool. Looking forward to gameplay video.

And this is the wrong section btw, this should be in the Upcoming Section. I assume a mod will move this soon. :)

3. ByteSizeRick

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks, arta. We hope to get a gameplay video out there shortly.

(Sorry about the misplacement of the thread. Mods, feel free to move at your discretion.)

4. ByteSizeRick

Sep 1, 2011
    More Screenshots

And here are a few more screenshots...

Attached Files:

5. ByteSizeRick

Sep 1, 2011
    Brand New FlipShip Trailer

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that we have officially been approved by Apple for a release date of September 27, 2011, and that we have a brand new trailer to show off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4l8osN08ZI&feature=youtu.be

In addition, we are happy to announce that a one-life, one-score totally free "lite" version will be launching day and date with the main game.

Please let us know what you think!

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #6 arta, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

Looks great, ByteSizeRick! A nice Outland style twist on the Tilt To Live genre. :)

Send your trailer to TouchGamePlay, Toucharcade, IPGN, SlideToPlay, TheGameTrail and Appspy on their youtube channels.

Send review builds to Appspy, TheGameTrail, Appvee, Pocketgamer.co.uk, Toucharcade, Touchgen, SlideToPlay, 148apps, TheAppera, Touchaholics, AppSmile, Phonecatss, gamezebo, gamepro, modojo, etc. Also if you know anyone who posts at Neogaf, ask then to post about the game trailer in the iPhone thread.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434562&page=142

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This looks awesome! And Arta, you always say touchaholics, they don't cover reviews anymore(it's almost dead) you should mean app-score.

8. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The trailer looks really good. Good luck with your game.

9. ByteSizeRick

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and for the tips, Arta. We are very excited about the release in a couple of weeks. Also, I think the lead designer (ByteSizeTom) should be popping on sometime today to talk a little bit about the development. Thanks again.

10. ByteSizeTom

ByteSizeTom Active Member

Hi, Everybody!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the game and the trailer! It's nice to hear good things about the game from people outside the company :)

I believe my brother, ByteSizeRick, gave me a brief introduction, but I'll give you all a few more details about myself. I am the CEO of ByteSize Games, and the lead designer on our first game, FlipShip. Our production team is two people, myself and an artist, with my brother filling in a number of additional roles including helping out with various development tasks (e.g., you can thank / blame him for our music, he's the one that found it :p).

As I said before, FlipShip is our first game, and we are very excited about the release. It's been a real eye-opener getting to see the game development process from all angles, but we are very happy with the game and looking forward to its release on September 27.

I am happy to talk to you all more about the game if you have any questions, and I would also appreciate any advice you can offer about getting the word out and getting noticed. Right now, I am working on finishing up some polish on the lite version before submission to Apple, but after that I am focusing most of my efforts on sharing information about the game, so if you have questions or ideas, let me know!

Thanks so much!

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Oh, sorry to hear that.

Never heard of App-score, did they buy them out or something?

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    no, its by the same guys :p the owner of ta is probably selling touchaholics though I don't think no one will buy :p

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Such a slick looking game with a novel twist! I'm very interested in this one.

Are each of these very distinct levels shown in the video distinctive survival game modes or is this a level based game where in one play through you'll be progressing through many levels?

14. ByteSizeTom

ByteSizeTom Active Member

Thanks for the positive comments, Lord Gek!

Right now, the game has one primary game mode which is endless, and the backgrounds and enemy colors are procedurally generated for every game session. There are six different dynamically adjusting difficulty settings and three different ship types to choose from, and enemy spawns and formations are randomly generated so the experience is different every time.

We have a lot of ideas for additional game modes, ships, and pickups which we are planning to make part of future content updates, and once the game releases, we'd be happy to hear your ideas for additional content as well!

Hope that helps clear things up, and thanks again for checking out the game!