★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"Pocket God" Considered Offensive in Pacific Isles (?!)

04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
"Pocket God" Considered Offensive in Pacific Isles (?!)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10569542

While I suppose there's a VERY VERY thin grain of truth in their claims, it just seems like some people are trying way too hard to be offended...

Quote:

'Primitive islanders' iPhone game causes stir
9:30AM Thursday Apr 30, 2009

"An iPhone game in which users act as an "all-powerful god that rules over the primitive islanders" has caused a stir.

Members of the Pacific Island community are protesting the game, Pocket God, and urging people to complain to the iPhone's manufacturer Apple, The Press reported.

The game shows grass-skirted people next to an Easter Island statue. At the player's whim they can be tossed through the air, fed to sharks or set on fire.

The game's designers said the islanders were not meant to represent any nationality.

Canterbury Uni******* Lecturer Malakai Koloamatangi took issue with the game.

"You can't say this is anywhere but a Pacific island.

"If this was an African or a Jew or someone, people would be jumping up and down; but because Pacific Islanders are inconsequential, as it were, people are allowed to do it."

SNAFUBAR -- two great acronyms that go great together!

Last edited by salsamd; 04-29-2009 at 05:37 PM.
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Hmmm... strange

Beta tester for Pocket God, Minigore, Towers of War, Airstrike Defense & 9 Innings 2011 - Join TAD - Join TAD: Touch Arcade Defenders! and Canucks of TA - Contact me if you want your game translated or betatested!

04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfist View Post
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10569542

While I suppose there's a VERY VERY thin grain of truth in their claims, it just seems like some people are trying way too hard to be offended...

LOL, Thats Hilarious!!
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I actually see the truth in this article.
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyman View Post
LOL, Thats Hilarious!!
NO! not hilarius at all.

Oceania aborigines have been exploited and treated terribly bye the conquerors of their land, I can very much see this app as being offensive.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
The article does have a valid point, Pocket God does make light of primitive islanders in what amounts to an animated torture simulator. Similar to how everyone was up in arms over the shaken baby app, I imagine Pacific Islander stereotypes pushes some people's buttons.

You can't please everyone... And once again, Apple shouldn't be the babysitter responsible for making sure the App Store is clean of anything that could potentially offend anyone.
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I can see how it can be seen as offensive but I really wouldn't care at all if the pygmies represented people from my nationality. In fact I would find it hilarious if I could throw small people in suits (or something to that effect) about.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
NO! not hilarius at all.

Oceania aborigines have been exploited and treated terribly bye the conquerors of their land, I can very much see this app as being offensive.
Is the conquerer of their land a big index finger? Did their conquerers flick them into distant volcanoes?

Just because it's taking place on what appears to be a Pacific island, it's not mocking or encouraging violence to Pac Islanders.

SNAFUBAR -- two great acronyms that go great together!
04-29-2009, 05:07 PM
ITS a GAME! Its not real!!! Its just having some FUN!! So is Mr. Smith descriminating towards White guys???
04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
For christ sake! It's just a game, and not an offensive one at that! And who's to say the islanders are "Pacific"? I really do think the world has gone too Politicly Correct.