What makes you keep on playing open-ended/survival games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by polarsolstice, Aug 26, 2011.

1. polarsolstice

polarsolstice Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    what is so rewarding people find in open-ended/survival games that makes them keep on playing them? To me, here are a few:

1.Easter Eggs you may find
    2.Game-changing / game-affecting secrets
    3.High Score
    4.Randomness you may encounter

can you add more?

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    1. The accomplishment of beating my/other peoples records.
    2. I don't know how to describe it but something about survival games just really draws me in, I guess the challenge of going as far as you can, and that it keeps getting progressively harder (I love very challenging things).

3. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I do it for Osmiral's reason 1. I am a very competitive person, and trying to beat other peoples' scores really draws me in.

4. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    upgrades as well

5. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #5 Dazarath, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    This would be the big reason for me (possibly the only reason). I'm not huge into highscoring, so unless each run (especially the failed runs) is benefiting me in some way, I'll likely just play it a few times and stop.

Another one would be the variety of options the player is offered. For example, dual-stick shooters often have pretty shallow gameplay (kiting and shooting over and over). While I really like the genre, I'm unlikely to sink 20+ hours into a DSS that only has a standard highscoring endless mode since each run just becomes the same thing. On the other hand, (some) tower defense games have an interesting mix of different towers, so there are more possibilities to try. Therefore I'd be more likely to play since I could experiment with new builds.

Of course, the most obvious thing would be whether or not the game is fun. If it's boring, no amount of anything else is likely going to get me to continue playing.

6. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Depends on the game but I get hooked on being able to continuously build things up, like Tiny Tower or even good ol Sim City...

You make something of your own.