Identifying retina graphics?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Red1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Dumb question:

If a game doesn't list "Retina Graphics" in the App Store description, or on the company website, is there any way you can tell if the graphics are retina or not?

2. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Well sometimes you can tell by the screenshots posted in the iPhone and iPod Touch Games forum. Sometimes there will be "Retina screenshots", which will be 640x960 and blown up you can tell whether or not it's Retina right away. Non-Retina games have a blurry/grainy quality to them that's pretty easy to notice. Sometimes they are also extremely pixelated.

Other than that there really isn't a way except to buy and found out that way. Or read the reviews. You can also always email the developer.

What game are you wondering about anyway?

3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #3 DemonJim, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    This is a really good question. I don't think there is a way using iTunes on a PC/Mac, but if you view the screenshots in the App Store app on an actual Retina device and look carefully you can tell if they were taken at retina resolution.

If they are, they are downscaled a bit and still appear crisp. If they aren't they will be upscaled from native and the blurriness and telltale jaggies show up.

For a test take a look at the iPhone screenshots for my game on your Retina device - you'll see they are higher res than they are in iTunes on your computer: http://itunes.apple.com/app/lead-wars/id393340337?mt=8

4. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Oh thanks. I never knew you could tell by the app store on your device. Mainly because I usually only use my computer. Nice to know.

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Thanks for your responses.

No game in particular, just a general question. Sometimes people ask me if a game's retina, but unless it's stated somewhere, I'm not certain.

@DemonJim: Are you able to post a link to an example which you consider blurry and/or jagged? (and I like your "reason for editing" haha).

6. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    A good example I can find is Wild West Pinball http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wild-west-pinball/id310158471?mt=8

Interestingly though the game has recently been updated and the 3D elements are in fact now Retina when you actually run it, but the screenshots (and even the app icon) remain non-retina. (updating all the 2D art in a game for retina is way more work than just rendering 3D at a higher res)

It's not that easy to tell as you can't view screenshots fullscreen but an eagle eye can spot the upscaling (look around the ball, and on the thin track on the right)