TA's "Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012: Endless Runners" List Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Exact-Psience, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #1 Exact-Psience, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    Here's the link to the article: Click Here

Here is a summary of TA's Best Endless Runners of 2012:

Into the Dead
    Verticus
    Pitfall!
    Temple Run Brave
    Subway Surfers
    Punch Quest
    Ski Safari

Your thoughts?

EDIT: added the link to TA's article

2. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #2 Exact-Psience, Dec 26, 2012
    First thing that came into my mind was... No Blood Roofs? No Polara? What about TA's controversial 5-star God of Blades? Sure both titles have "stages" early on, but then there are the endless modes that make these games more of the forever titles.

Im also a little sad that Darkness Rush, Zombie Tsunami, One Epic Knight, TheEndApp and Agent Dash didnt make the list.

I know it isnt as deep as the other runner titles (which shouldnt have to be at all), but i was hoping the most aesthetically satisfying Infinite Warrior was gonna be considered too.

And then there's the fresh but fantastic Ronin.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I don't like runner games in general, but I agree that Zombie tsunami, Blood roofs, Infinite warrior and One epic knight deserved to be on this list.

Those games would make my list + Into the dead.

God of blades was more like a "meh" experience to me. It's to easy, to short and kinda boring. Crossing RPGs with runner games is a mistake (in my opinion) anyway. Oh and no "Temple run" clone deserves to be on the list either (specifically aiming at Temple run brave, Subway surfers, The end app and Agent dash).

4. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I was totally pissed seeing no Polara nor Rayman Jungle Run on that list. But then I realized that these are more runner-platformers (and hence come under the platformer category) rather than endless runner per se.

In any case, I do not play outright endless runners. Of Ta's list, the only one I've played is Pitfall and I didn't like it. Not into this genre of games at all.

Edit: Ok, I did get Ronin. It was OK. I didn't play too much, but I really can't say if it deserves to be on that list or not simply because I've not played many endless runners.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Their list is fine and safe choices to me. Maybe their list has more of the "safe", more well known choices. I can see the mass appeal of most of their choices.

Just as you guys mentioned missing a few games. I'd say Blood Roof should be there. I really should give Polara another shot. I can see God of Blades being good, but I just can't get the timing down...and it takes so long to restart a run. I like Infinite Warrior. Ronin seems fun..but like Subway Surfer..I'm not a fan of earning score multipliers for high score game. But if I feel up to it, I should give it a try since most of you give it positive feedback.

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Rayman isnt endless and doesnt have any endless modes. Polara does though.

I think having no Blood Roofs on the list is what im disappointed the most with. Then Polara.

Was also surprised there's only 7 titles on their list, when other Best Ofs have more than 10.

7. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #7 retr0spective, Dec 26, 2012
    I think this about sums it up ... we each have our individual favorites, and as regular forum participants many of us seem to be on the same page that is somewhat out of step with the TA facilitators (No Arc Squadron, no Swordigo?). I suggest that after the series of articles are completed that we start a thread of our own, a Best of 2012 Forum Member's Supplement where we each submit our personal lists using the article categories.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ah... Just up... Best of Platformers, and they do have Polara, Rayman Jungle Run and Mega Run on the list.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    This. We all just have different taste in games and there's no right or wrong. I don't think the regulars' taste is reflective of the "mainstream" people if you just take a look at the AppStore charts.

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Aye, shall we have our own list for each category too? Sounds interesting!

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    That. Made. My. Day. I feel like huggin' good 'ol Eli to thank him for recognizing Polara as a brilliant platformer. Not sure if it sitting at the bottom of the pile means it just made it though.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #12 awp69, Dec 26, 2012
    Got to this thread late, but yeah, glad to see Polara and Rayman Jungle Run at least make the platformer list.

Blood Roofs was by far my favorite BTB "runner" of the year (with Polara being my favorite horizonal runner). It may have been a little more niche than the others as a lot of people didn't like the jumping/flying controls and camera even after the fix. But if you took the time to get used to it, it was one of the most unique and atmospheric experiences on the iOS -- even outside of runners. The boss fights and just overall demonic invasion / save the girl flow was fantastic to me.

Also, even though this is off topic, think there were some other platformers that should be recognized such as Nihilumbra and, IMO, the largely unnoticed Mini Dash, which again may be due to the controls, but is just a fantastic, challenging and imaginative platformer.

13. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I agree that it is largely a matter of taste while I also have a lot of respect for the objectivity and experienced assessments of the TA staff. At the same time, anyone who's favorites don't get picked is going to be a little disappointed so I will definitely start up a readers 2012 picks when the articles are finished if one doesn't pop up sooner. We may find out some hidden gems that we missed as well.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    TA's list is fine. My 2 favorite endless runners by a wide margin are One Epic Knight and Ski Safari. Into the Dead could have been a contender, but the ads and an updated version's increased difficulty killed it for me.

The original post mentioned Polara which is certainly one of my best games of the year. I agree with TA categorizing that best as a platformer.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The TA list is pretty comprehensive, especially with the add-on of the list of platformers. Also, no more threads like this until all the lists are all posted by the end of this week.

"WHERE THE *$@$ IS WALKING DEAD ON THE BEST PORTS LIST?! TOUCHAREPAID!!!"

Next day: "Oh, it's on a different list."

16. crazypills77

crazypills77 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I'm so tired of runners. SO tired.

Devs need to start treating iOS as a gaming platform more seriously. There are way too many "me too" cash-ins in the app store.