Climbing A Tree In 1978: A Pretentious Indie Game (Feeback Wanted)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by brock, May 9, 2014.

1. brock

brock Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Hi,

My friends and I are indie developers and want to get some feedback on a working title for our next game:

"Climbing A Tree In 1978: A Pretentious Indie Game"

What do you think? What kind of images come to mind? We're looking for as many opinions as we can get. Thanks!

2. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I would probably buy a game called Climbing a Tree in 1978, but the subtitle would give me pause.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I like the title, it's eccentric and full of personality. I think the subtitle "a pretentious indie game," while casual compared to the more poetically vague main title does well in turning the overall thing into a fun joke. I assume the game is not really about climbing a tree so the subtitle helps cue people into the "bigger picture."

4. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

As someone who does occasionally enjoy the occasional pretentious indie game, the title is appealing to me. The image it conjures (due to the date '1978') is an Instagram-style "70's filter" over the whole view. The idea of 'climbing a tree' gives it a whimsical/lazy-sunday feel in my mind. Since the date is mentioned, it implies it's in the past, so I would imagine that maybe that it's about some sort of flashback to that time. Like @undeadcow mentioned, 'eccentric' is another word I'd use (in a good way)

As a mainstream title, not sure, but I would definitely click to read more about it. It's unusual enough that it stands out well among often same-named games on the app store.

5. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    It feels like the game is aimed at me because I was born in 1971 so climbing a tree was conceivably one of my pastimes in the late 70's and early 80's. I'm not sure exactly which years I was most active tree climbing because memory fails but it feels right. I hope this is actually an unpretentious tree climbing game where you wear classic late 70's t-shirts as rewards for honing your tree climbing skills into the early 80's.

The sequel should be a BMX game as that's what eventually put paid to my tree climbing time back in the day.

6. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    a vertical platformer (you're climbing an infinite tree) with a soundtrack of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Power to the People?
    And I love the subtitle; it's so tongue in cheek and a cute dig at indie games.

7. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I imagine a touch and click adventure game. Like, climbing the tree might be some kind of puzzle that needs to be solved.

8. brock

brock Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks everyone

We're probably killing the subtitle and replacing with something else. Seems to rub people the wrong way. Maybe something like:

"A Lo-Fi Indie Game Simulation"
    "A Lo-Fi Simulation"

We're kicking around Atari style graphics.