Space Age: Space exploration and adventure from Big Bucket

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mattcomi, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mattcomi

mattcomi Well-Known Member

Hi guys, Matt Comi from Big Bucket here. Neven Mrgan and I are the guys responsible for The Incident. We recently announced our upcoming game: Space Age, and I figured it's about time I started a thread for it on Touch Arcade!

It's a little hard to peg down what kind of game Space Age is, but we like to think of it as a mash up between a real-time strategy, an adventure game and a stealth action game. A sort of a love letter to the kind of games we enjoyed playing growing up. It's a lot bigger and more ambitious than The Incident and we really hope you're going to like it.

We're posting updates on the Space Age Twitter account at @spaceageapp and we have a landing page where you can subscribe to be notified of big Space Age news. We won't spam you, we swear.

I've started posting dev videos up on Vimeo. Currently, there are two:

Pouring Rain: An experiment with environmental effects (darkness and rain).

MagTruck Demonstration: A demonstration of the MagTruck (metal harvester) doing what its thing.

And just in case you don't feel like clicking any links, here are a couple images that hint at what we're aiming for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be back with more updates later on. Thanks!

—Matt

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Looks very classic-point-and-click-adventure-game-like similar to Beneath a Steel Sky and Leisure Suite Larry :D

It's fine if this is a different type of gameplay, but im liking the visuals too much :D

3. mattcomi

#3 mattcomi, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    New screenshot: The crash site

Back with a quick update. Here's a new screenshot: The crash site.

[​IMG]

We're still working super hard on it and will try to keep the updates coming!

4. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Cool! This looks great

5. Deonaldi

Deonaldi Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    #5 Deonaldi, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Delete

6. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    From what I'm seeing in the screenshots?

YES. PLEASE!:D

DBC

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Can you provide more gameplay details?
    - Open world or just large levels?
    - Any interiors to explore (colonies, ruins, underground structures, buildings) or only outside environments?
    - Is there any combat or are you avoiding conflict (stealth)?
    - Can you interact with NPCs? (Dialogue, side quests, choices)
    - Any enemies or dangerous wildlife?

8. genesis_pig

genesis_pig Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2012
    The third screenshot has grabbed my attention.
    Eager to see more.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Graphics look great and funny.

Keeping an eye out but a tad concerned about Space Age being a RTS stealth adventure game... Last such mashup I recall was an RTS action adventure on the XBox 360 about a heavy metal guy. I think it was called Brutal Legend...

10. mattcomi

Sure :)

Space Age is mission based.

There are interior and exterior missions.

You generally want to avoid conflict but yeah, there is some combat.

We're still ironing those sorts of details out, but there is plenty of dialogue.

Yep :)

11. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    #11 Robot:String, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    Wow! Really awesome! :D
    It reminds me a little of the original Space Quest.

A little detail (the GUI designer in my, sorry): when the magTrucks are collecting metal, can the light on the roof (that currently flashes yellow) start flashing red when they are reaching its top capacity?
    I mean: active, slow yellow flashing. Near full capacity, fast red flashing. Full, solid red.
    Does it make sense to you?

I really like how this game looks and will follow the thread with great interest.
    Good job!

12. mattcomi

We actually made a change to the appearance of the MagTruck so that once it's finished harvesting, the tray fills with metal. Here's what that looks like:

[​IMG]

So now, to see if a MagTruck has finished harvesting, you can look in the tray rather than examine whether its cabin light has gone out.

13. mattcomi

New screenie:

[​IMG]

Since day one, I've developed Space Age for both OS X and iOS. Our fingers are crossed that we'll be releasing on both platforms on day one, but at some point, Space Age will certainly be coming to the Mac.

14. Robot:String

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    This looks trully great! Nice that you're aimimg for both iOS and OS X.
    Will it sync through iCloud to keep both in sync or would it be independent games?

15. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
  16. mattcomi

If I can get it to work reliably then yeah, we'd love to have it stay in sync between devices, but yeah, we'll have to see.

17. mattcomi

World Map

A sneak peek at the world map:

[​IMG]

Mission names reveal themselves as they are unlocked (notice that the next mission name is a "?")

Missions are completed with a number of stars. The number of stars available to each mission is variable, right now they are between 2 to 5 stars.

18. Robot:String

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    Really nice, indeed!
    It looks like a linear, storyline driven adventure. Will it fork at some point?

This image reminds me for some reason of Monkey Island (the part where you see the island map during the night). But the FOW and the unknown mission names add a lot of "discovery" feeling. :)

I really like the direction you're giving it. Wise decisions. I want to see more! :D

19. JohnnyHand

JohnnyHand Active Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The screens have definitely peaked my interest... keep up the good work... looking forward to seeing more of this!

20. mattcomi

So just in case you thought you knew what kind of game Space Age is going to be, we thought we'd share this picture of an old house on a farm:

[​IMG]

And here's a friendly reminder that you can sign up to be notified when Space Age is released by visiting http://spaceageapp.com.

Or you can follow the Space Age twitter account at @spaceageapp.

Coming Soon!