emulating an iphone 2g on xcode

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Aruki, May 13, 2011.

1. Aruki

Aruki Active Member

May 10, 2011
    Game Designer
    Madrid
    #1 Aruki, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    Hey there been wondering about this....
    Right now we are in a Q&A process and we do own iphones 3g, 3gs, 4g, where we upload our game and do the the proper testing. But we lack an iphone 2g phone. So, is there a way to set up the emulator of the xcode to work as an iphone 2g.:confused:

btw, fps drops by 20 between iphone 3g and 3gs...

thx in advance ^_^

2. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I don't know how others see this, but I don't think it's still important to support 1st generation devices. They are almost 4 years old now.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    There is no simulator for any specific hardware in xcode. And the performance between first gen and second gen iphone should be minimal at best. If i recall right they use the same hardware.

4. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Sr. Applications Engineer.
    Middletown, CT
    It should be noted that the iPhone / iPad SIMULATORS provided by XCode are not hardware emulators. They are, as the name states, software SIMULATORS.

They will simulate the iDevice screen size, iOS software, and (to some degree) multitouch interaction. They will not, however, emulate the device hardware or it's performance.

The simulator should not, in anyway, be used to judge the performance of your application on a device. For this you need a physical device.

5. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I have a first gen iPod Touch and an iPhone 3G for testing older devices. The first gen Touch runs slightly faster than the 3G. I believe there is little to no difference between the first and second generation iPhones.

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'd hate to think people are still kicking around on those devices

7. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    My girlfriend has been using my original iPhone since the day I bought my 3g (the day it was released). It's on OS3.1.4 (the last that supported it) and it's working fine. Way faster than my 3g on 4.x (now my son's). It also has way better battery life even though it's been charged hundreds of times since. This is partly down to the lack of 3g of course but the reception is better to.

It also happily syncs with most apps I download even today.

Living with a 2g iPhone isn't exactly a hardship.

8. Aruki

Aruki Active Member

May 10, 2011
    Game Designer
    Madrid
    Guess the best way is to buy a 2g / 1st gen ipod touch...

Thx for the replies, and hope to upload some game pics and the game trailer soon!! Very interested in what the community has to say about the game :D

Cheers ^____^