iPhone DarkNet: A Cyberpunk Turn-Based Strategy Game (from Mirror Match Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Ryan @ MMG, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    #1 Ryan @ MMG, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
    LATEST DEV VIDEO:

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to tell you all about DarkNet, a new online turn-based strategy game we're working on over at Mirror Match Games. It's going to be set in a cyberpunk near future, and the game mechanics are going to pull from some of our favorite games like Valkriya Chronicles, X-Com, and Warhammer tabletop games.

We're really early in in development (a bit under 3 weeks as of writing this), but we're posting weekly dev videos to show our progress. Here are the first three of our weekly dev blogs:

First Post:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Thanks for taking a look, and I'll be sure to update this thread with more devblogs, screenshots, and concept art as I have them!

2. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    looks promising! cant wait to see as your ideas get a little more fleshed out.
    love you source materials too :)
    x-com is the greatest game ever.

3. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    This looks good. Even that week 1 dev video screamed INSTABUY!!! At me.

Has a real Necromunda feel to it, which was an old games workshop tabletop game set in the warhammer universe but in city blocks not battlefields. I approve whole heartedly.

4. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Oh man, how did I not have necromunda on that list? You're right, it's a fantastic game. :)

Thanks for the kind words and early encouragement, I'll be sure to pop back in with our next video so you can see the progress!

5. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Are you also planning to include a single player campaign?

6. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    We definitely want to do a single player campaign, but I think we'll probably launch with MP and a small single player tutorial. That'll allow us to really focus on the balance of the units and the MP experience. Once that's working well I'd love to do some SP stuff (be it a long campaign or shorter 'episodes') to explore the lore and characters of the world we're creating.

Ninja Edit: I suppose the "tl;dr" version is that we're a 3 man team, so we've got lots we want to do but we're trying to be smart about how we prioritize and ship stuff.

7. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Another week down, time for the weekly devblog!

This week we worked on integrating some more world assets, some basic weather effects, improving the lighting, and adding some more of the UI.

And it's not covered in the video but I also spent some time writing backstory for the weapon dealing corporations and creating an initial list of gear/gear upgrades. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to revising/expanding the list in the weeks to come.

And now, video! Enjoy, and as always I'm happy to answer any questions!

8. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    cool ..go on awesome work

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Nice. It`s like watching you Guys from the Back through those Developer Videos. Keep up the good Work.

10. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    This looks pretty cool so far.

I'm not completely sure how it will play, but the visuals, even at this early stage, are somehow compelling.

11. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Thanks everyone!

It's just me and teammate Valentino working on this right now, and I'm really happy with the progress we're making for a team of two. :)

Right now our efforts are completely focused on making a single polished and playable level that's fun. From there we're going to work on other environments, maps, classes, gear, etc. There's a bunch to do but we're already having a blast playing the game.

12. Livett

Livett Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Oxford
    Great work. Looks really promising, I shall be following this one closely!

I liked the rain to, when I first saw it I thought "looks like Angry Bots rain"! And it looks great, good stuff for putting it in.

13. LifeIsWeird

LifeIsWeird Member

Aug 4, 2011
    I cant wait, playing through Valkyria Chronicles right now and this is looking great. Keep up the good work.

14. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Hey everyone,

Sorry there was no video last week. Valentino and I have been working late nights trying to get the most polished version of a demo that we can done for PAX later this week. I'll try to post screenshots because the game looks a LOT different with all the art we've gotten in.

If I catch a break during pax I'll try to throw together a quick video of all the new art so you can check it out, otherwise it'll happen when I get home next week.

If any of you are at PAX and want to see the game, send me a PM! I'll be at the show all three days and would love to show off the work we've done so far.

15. HikariKami

HikariKami Active Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Web Designer
    Australia
    I'm getting a sort of Syndicate Wars vibe from watching the videos. I'm a big fan of TBS games, so I think I'll keep an eye on your work! Too bad I don't have an Ipad, any chance of an Iphone release? :D

16. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Thanks! Syndicate is a favorite of mine, so there's definitely some inspiration there. :) We'll definitely be doing an iPhone release as well, but there's going to be work involved to redo the UI so it's phone-friendly. And there's only two of us working on the project, so your patience is appreciated. :D

That all being said, new video! Enjoy!

17. Valentino @ MMG

Sep 3, 2011
    Art
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey guys, Ryan and all of us at mirrormatch are super busy this week working on updates for checkers, and new features and artwork for darknet. So I'm posting a quick update in his place :D

So... howdy! I'm Valentino, I'm behind our visuals here at mirrormatchgames, so if you have any questions please ask and I'll try to answer them. I don't have any nifty video recording software to show you our latest build, which just so happens to run pretty well on iphone4, ipad1 and some droid devices, but boy can I take screenshots!

The sweet screenshot goodness:

http://i.imgur.com/AoRgC.jpg

It's pretty wide, so I'll just link to it.

For those of you interested, I also created a quick visual timeline of what we've been up to as a company since January:

[​IMG]

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Looking great. I love the way you are planning to have units interact with the city environment.

19. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    was obviously asleep at the wheel as hadn't really paid attention that you guys did lets play checkers :) have just bought the full version of that to support you guys.

Latest dev video looks great. The art really is impressive, I remain super keen for this!

20. creature

creature Active Member

Hell yeah!

Looks like a great start.

I'm working on a project a little like this inspired by Jagged Alliance 2, which I'll get to after my next iOS release.

Really looking forward to watching this one develop.

Scott.