iPhone N.O.V.A and NFS Shift

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by salsamd, Mar 22, 2010.

1. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #1 salsamd, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. I think that indie devs that make iPad exclusive games will rule the iPad app store

3. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    N.O.V.A looks a lot like Halo, I really dislike GameLoft, but that looks great.

4. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    N.O.V.A looks really good. Now that the iPad is out gameloft has to update the multiplayer to like 10 or more people, and make new multiplayer maps. That would be awesome!

5. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    FPS is, undeniably, the least suited genre to the iPad - it will take a lot of very innovative control mechanics to really nail a first person shooter on this platform and frankly, as good fun as games like N.O.V.A are, I don't see GameLoft etc. having what it takes to manage that.

GameLoft particularly are imitators rather than innovators. That's fine, they do a good job of scratching an itch for certain games we have as iPhone gamers without other consoles, but we can't really look to them to deliver anything revolutionary.

6. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    10 players or more? I would be more than content with 8 TDM, and maybe CTF.

7. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Well yeah, they should add those other modes, but I'm pretty sure the iPad would be able to handle 10 players, I mean if the iTouch 2nd Gen can handle 6 people in BIA2 the the iPad should be able to handle 10 or more.

8. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Undeniably? Why? Please explain. I think NOVA looks great on the larger iPad screen! It's just that the person playing it in the video doesn't look particularly skilled.

More innovative than trying to squish decent FPS contols into a tiny iPhone screen without obscuring the game? The iPhone has been around for a few years now, and many developers still can't figure it out. Maybe the answer is that they need a bigger screen...;)

9. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    A bigger screen works well for something like city builders or strategies, or RPGs and dungeon crawlers etc.

But a bigger screen really isn't going to lend itself to FPSs on it's own.

FPSs with the standard control scheme used in every game since the original Wolfenstein and adapted to different input devices ever since, isn't ever going to shine on a touch screen.

Either an entirely new control scheme for an FPS or a hell of a lot of tweaks is required for that. The "drag-select" mechanism shown in N.O.V.A for the iPad is a thought in the right direction but it's going to have to pervade the entire control scheme to really make it a slick experience.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed N.O.V.A a lot but an FPS with those controls can never be triple A on the iPhone or iPad.

A city builder or dungeon crawler however.. those are AAA iPad titles waiting to happen, however due to the larger time investment required we have seen almost nothing so far.

10. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Gameloft were the first company to make a decent and playable third person shooter with the current virtual stick/swipe control mechanics with BIA1. Other games before it such as cube used a horrible system that barely worked at all. After BIA1, over the course of the next year Gameloft optimised their controls with each title (Terminator, MC:S, NOVA and BIA2). They work very well now, not perfect but good enough and provide an enjoyable experience. Who would've thought when the app store launched that it was even possible to make an fps enjoyable on a touchscreen? The iPhone has proved its possible, so I wouldn't write off the iPad just yet and Gameloft certainly played a part in creating that "standard" control system so don't write them off either.

Finally, I would add that the swipe control system is not the best solution for fps/tps that has been implemented on the iPhone. That was first used to great affect by id, with Doom Resurrection and later perfected with COD: Zombies. The control mechanic is using the accelerometer (with calibration and sensitivity settings) for truly analogue aiming controls coupled with virtual buttons/stick for movement and shooting. This resulted in more accurate and faster aiming whilst minimising the screen usage/increasing visibility. The iPad also has an accelerometer and this control mechanic could easily be translated over to that, but it remains to be seen how playable that would be.

11. Skinsand

Skinsand New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    IMHO as a PC gamer from back in the days of Quake3 and Unreal Tournament "drag and select" feels like the closest thing to a mouse and keyboard I've played In a long time (yes...I do think using a console controller SUCKS). I think there is a possibility the size of the Ipad will end up being a plus, not a minus. It will take some tweaking but in the end should work out well for the FPS genre on the Ipad.

PS I'm happy for you that you like city builders, dungeon crawlers and RTS games so much you have to remind us why their going to be so good on the ipad twice in this thread and at least once in another thread about shooters. Cool man! To me however, their just something to avoid while I look for good games :) Hopefully with that nice large touchscreen and a 1 gig processor we will have some really good FPS's coming up!

12. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    Yeah.. I'm just hoping that gaming on the App Store can mature a bit... it's a few years on now and we're still seeing the saaaame old puzzlers and TDs and the odd popular console genre shoehorned onto the iPhone.

I'm not even a particular fan of RTSs for example, but they are perfectly suited to the iPad. FPSs are not. I'm not saying don't make FPSs but I wish developers would start to bring out some meatier titles in more varied genres.

13. Flying-Jew

Flying-Jew Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Sorry for being nit-picky but it's a 1 Gigahertz processor, not 1 Gig, lol. Must've been a typo.

Anyway, I'm more interested in driving games. Swinging the iPad to control the car will feel a lot more real than an iPhone/iPod (maybe). But I'm not so sure of the doubling of prices. Eg. $12.99 for NFS: Shift

14. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    Cool, but FPS dont seem to work as well on the ipad as they do on iphone and itouch.I just cant see myself taking my entire hand off the ipad to aim. I dont think ill even want to be tilting something that big. The ipad is more suited to board games and stuff. I think the iphone and itouch will be a more succesful in terms of gaming than the ipad.the ipad uses the same gpu as iphone 3gs, but has a faster cpu(1 ghz). the ppi(pixels per inch) is lower on ipad vs iphone(137 vs, 163) the graphics look a little better on ipad, but apple will probally end up unlocking the iphone cpu to its full 800mhz.

15. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Honestly, I couldn't agree more. Every point you made was correct.

Anyways, I just watched this video again (I saw the keynote back in January) and I am once again pumped up for the iPad. I cannot wait till it comes out. I am definitely getting it. The sense of speed in NFS is incredible. And these devs have had a couple of days to work on their games. I wonder what they've come up with in over 2 months! I wonder how EA will make The Sims 3 or Simcity.

16. Flying-Jew

Flying-Jew Member

Mar 25, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the maximum the iPhone 3G S CPU will run is at 624MHZ (Currently 600MHZ). Even if it could reach 800MHZ, battery life would go down the drain in a flash. Remember, that's why the 2G iPod touch's had a higher frequency (around 30% more battery life from the original)

17. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    Iphone 3gs uses a Samsung S5PC100 ARM Cortex-A8 833 mhz underclocked to 600 mhz. It would suck battery. Lets hope apple comes out with a battery upgrade. It would be nice to have the cpu running at full power if required. That all im saying.