Why so few exclusive iPad games or multi app games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    That are designed to scale well on iPad? and why is it every time there is any attention to new software for advices or engines like the one by epic it's always geared toward iPhone. I mean iPad is selling in millions so why can't software follow those sales with some content?

2. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Because I returned my iPad. :eek:

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    iPad is selling in millions but other idevices sell more than 3x more than iPads. Also they have a very large userbase already. Makes sense for devs to target those first and then think about iPads.

You what??!?!?

*Bans f e a r l e s s*

4. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    By that logic why don't devs keep making ps2 games instead of ps3 ones since so many more ppl own a ps2 and there are still games being made for it so dev kits are still sold and it is much cheaper to develop for, or why make wii games when u can still make gamecube games that target both wii owners and gc owners without a wii and wiimote to get a larger user base? Or why do ps game makers make cutting edge requiring massive hardware upgrades instead of keep making old looking games that can play on anything including entry level store bought pcs without z dedicated gaming video card? Why can't ppl realize ipads advantages in other factors not just monetary gains for instance or help make it stand out?

5. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Plus on the n64 they used to release really short games for 60 bucks and no one complained. Look at pilot wings, yoshis story, and many others. Outside goldeneyes and a few most were real simple as well and almost all platformers. The ipad has way more variety IMO. And most psp home brew games really suck I just wanted to add and no one complaints about it either.

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Flawed logic. PS3 is a successor of PS2. Its meant to replace PS3. iPad is definitely not a replacement for iPhone/iPods.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    There's also the issue of cost-- most people have mp3 players/ipods, but an iPad is more specialized and almost an extra device on top of a laptop/macbook. If you're an indie dev and you want to break into the market, you'll need an iPad to test on, which is another additional cost on top of the required Mac.

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Yea but with the pc example what I made it is same logic. Most people and companies want to make stuff for something new or more cutting edge or easier to use/control in most instances unlike with iPad though. Most would rather make a crysis that few ppl can only play and enjoy and be known to be at cutting edge and enjoy using new methods or hardware than keep making duke nukems, and they are always striving to make most graphic games on the pc as they can put side of blizzard. And the ds technically wasn't a successor to the gab but a third pillar so that is bother example.

9. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    And iPad games are much easier to control like on pizza boy you don't have to over half the screen with your fingers but your fingers are below the action.

10. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Here some possible answers:
    • First point is there so many iPad sold? We don't know how many iPad sold. It's a bad clue that Apple didn't communicate new numbers. If 4M had been reach fast, I don't see why Apple hadn't communicate so a good bet is it's perhaps now 4M but not much more.
    • Second point is there so many iPad players? With the supposed 4M base, many owner don't play so it's a much smaller players base, let bet 2M and it's probably optimistic.
    • Third point by making an iPhone game you make an iPad compatible game so target both markets. Only games that could really not have an iPhone version would worth a pure iPad only Launch.
    • Fourth point your iPad only game compete with iPhone games that has price highly drag down. It means iPad games prices tend be dragged into this spiral, and if you add a not that big player base, then you understand why it's not really appealing for dev.
    As an iPad owner and only playing on iPad it's sad to quote this state, but:
    • Many doubled games suit very well the iPad and are clearly more pleasant to play on an iPad.
    • Many dev try support a HD version or even universal,.
    • It's iphone constraints the make iPad games distinctive from other platforms and with characteristics I really appreciate like less fat games, low prices for smaller games, a much better dynamic around more casual games, higher focus on gameplay than on shiny features, and more.
    So all in all iPad has a bastard state but that's a source of its value, myself i don't search at all an iPad gaming replacing Mac/PC/Big console gaming. The only replacement I would like is the DS but well that will not happen because of many reason.

11. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Hah! Still here! :p

For many reasons. Already got bashed for it. It's like I gave my kid up for adoption or something like that. Some people here got really mad.

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I returned my iPad too