Pixel Defenders Puzzle (by Gary Whittle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Dec 15, 2012.

1. formulae

formulae Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for the comments :)

The artist who created the music has lots of awesome tracks up at https://soundcloud.com/daretooppress

2. ericleeuiuc

ericleeuiuc Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Maybe you can undo but lose your turn still?

3. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    If memory serves, Triple Town (or maybe one of the clones) allowed undos in a limited manner each round. You could buy 3 or so of them in a game. Since this is level based, allowing only 1 would seem appropriate (adds to the strategy).

Triple Town also limited the number of special pieces per round (regardless of how many you could afford). Again, since this has a shorter goal than filling the board, a lower number of allowed special pieces makes sense.

Awesome game, by the way. I love it when devs talk with players in the forum!

4. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I might have missed this, but do you plan on improving the endless mode? From what I've heard, it's not that great.

5. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Yeah, I'll look to revise it based on feedback given so far - probably for the next update in Jan.

Also, I made a trailer!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJ1GrMUlks

6. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Works both ways! It's great to have feedback :)

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just wanted to say I can't stop playing Pixel Defenders Puzzle, great game.

8. idub76

idub76 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I am in love with this game :)

You've done an amazing job of standing out from the Triple Town clones with such a unique and clever little take on the genre. Major props to you!

I pretty much agree with all the tweaks that people have mentioned so far, except maybe the undo button. There have been quite a few times that I would have *loved* to have one, but I think that messing up is all part of the game, and if you can pull yourself back from a wasted placement, it feels all the more sweeter. If you do implement it, definitely limit its use to once per game!

The idea I'd most like to see in the next update is a goal identifier, especially when it comes to the amount of turns allowed to get the full star. I guess this would mean you'd need to have a turn count on the game screen or something?

Also, howabout a"bestiary/encyclopedia type thing, that keeps track of all the monsters you've defeated and defenders you've unlocked, listing their skills and such? I get such a buzz when I manage to hit a fourth tier defender, and it would be cool to have somewhere to keep track of your accomplishments and admire the amazing pixel art :)

I think the flow of the combat is perfect as it is, btw. The amount of tapping to attack isn't a chore at all, you've hit the sweet spot from the start there imo!

All in all, you've got a big fan over here! I've already pimped PDP on a forum I frequent and a couple of guys there have downloaded based on my recommendation. I'll keep spreading the word!

Keep up the good work!

9. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    This game is SO good! :D

No undo button, please add game center (I like to know where I stack up in endless mode,) add another endless mode if anything... Please don't mess with this one! It's great as it is, IMHO!

Also, I would like to know the rank of my defender, it's hard to tell what's upgraded, and what's not...

Over all, even if you didn't change a thing, no updates ever.,.. This is still a great game!

No undo button, it's cheating! ;)

10. idub76

idub76 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Each defender has a certain number of dots denoting level in the bottom right corner of their sprite :)

11. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Haha! I just thought that was a hit/action count down timer thingy! Makes sense, now!!!! It's both!! Haha!

Thanks for the post! :)

12. idub76

idub76 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Heh, no problem ;)

13. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    So this is fun!

I came across a small bug: my level 3 stars have disappeared. I have been achieving three stars on each level before moving on to the next one, but on level 3, I now have zero stars. Not a huge deal but something's obviously a little wonky there.

I'm a little nervous about the consumable IAP, because I've seen so many good games ruined by it. Anybody up to level 30+ yet and can let us know whether they can comfortably play without it?

Cheers.

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #74 undeadcow, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    I am on level 15 without using a single "shop" consumable item. You do acquire these through level mastery in some cases so fingers crossed they remain un-necessary, even though they are avaliable throuh normal game play to some extent I'm unlikely to use them. I would be glad to support the developer wih IAP but consumables "cheats" are not appealing.

Edit: Gave in and had to use 3 consumable "shop" action points in level 17 only to lose, still haven't resorted to IAP.

15. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Glad you like the game :)

That's a strange bug! Are all the star awards for the other levels you've completed accurate? What level are you on now?
    Can't say I've encountered any bug like this in testing, but I'll try and get to the bottom of it!

16. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Yep, the others seem fine.

I'm not sure when the stars disappeared. As best I can recall, I messed up level 9, backed out to the level select screen to start again, and noticed the level 3 stars were missing. Sorry I can't be more precise than that.

Cheers.

17. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    No worries - Thanks for letting me know about it!

18. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Do you think shop items used in a failed level should be refunded? Haven't had any feedback on that particular point yet.

19. Chiskle

Chiskle Active Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I got to level 15 without the need of the cache of items earned from the previous three star successes, however, I desperately require them now. Level 15 marks a huge leap in difficulty, and no matter how many items I use from the shop, I still cannot achieve the three stars needed to earn more helpful items. No problem, I'll just go back, play the earlier levels, get three stars, and accumulate more tiles for later help, right? Sorry, replaying levels will not give you awards-- SERIOUSLY? This means the only way to achieve three stars later in the game is with IAP and I refuse to purchase anything out of necessity to beat the game. I'd prefer the ability to grind a little and amass the awards, especially for a game I purchased. Unless this is addressed, I'm done with you bad, greedy developers!

20. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Level 15 is a level designed in such a way that in order to complete it efficiently you need to consider the abilities of the new units. I don't want to give too much away - but how you can use, in particular, one of the units' abilities to turn the advantage to yourself.

The game is designed so that every level is possible without using any stock items. I don't expect everyone to be an expert though, and I'm sure the difficulty of all levels is not perfect. However I promise you each level (even the very last ones!) can be completed without the use of any stock items (we've done it!). The game has random generation for the next unit, so of course every level has an element of luck.

One thing I believe I've overlooked is if you use stock items in a level and then fail that level, I think they should be 'refunded', as it seems harsh that they're used up. I'll address this in the forthcoming January patch.