Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Version 1.0.4 Now Available

Version 1.0.4 is now available via an update on your device!

Not A Test 1.0.4 Updates:
  • -bring character choice bug fixed (Benny) - this was crashing many people's games
  • -end screen keyboard bug fixed
  • -disposable skill choices fixed -- no more infinite tries on some skills!

Quote:
Great effort, would buy every single one of these you were able to make.
Thanks a lot! That alone means we'll be able to make more . I can't believe you used an excel spreadsheet to track the paths! That's fantastic. You did indeed find the "best result", and you're right that there isn't closure! We are somewhat apologetic -- but you're also right in that it will lead into a sequel! Our goal is to produce a post-apocalyptic series following a meta-story that unfolds in the future wasteland. There are a lot of unused mechanics in the background of This Is Not a Test as well that we will experiment with, and we want to perfect our direction based on the demands of the community. This Is Not a Test is, really, a test to see if that's a feasible idea and it appears that it is. Some future coded options for the sequel will include giving you life and making rooms hurt you, making items equippable to modify skill choices or reveal their associated choices, and ultimately adding a combat system similar to how a telnet MUD would tick through a fight.

If anyone wants to give input, we're open to your ideas. Just drop us a line here or at admin@robotmonster.ca.

Quote:
Dear Robot Monster,

How about making it universal? Any plans for that?
Yes! We're actually making our programmer work this weekend to make it happen . We're hoping it won't take him too long. We're planning on releasing that ASAP, but we also don't want to rush the job and risk putting out a bad update. It's definitely on the top of our our list!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotmonster View Post
Yes! We're actually making our programmer work this weekend to make it happen . We're hoping it won't take him too long. We're planning on releasing that ASAP, but we also don't want to rush the job and risk putting out a bad update. It's definitely on the top of our our list!
What a great news!
Finally, I will try it on my iPad I wish best luck to your programmer.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotmonster View Post

Thanks a lot! That alone means we'll be able to make more . I can't believe you used an excel spreadsheet to track the paths! That's fantastic. You did indeed find the "best result", and you're right that there isn't closure! We are somewhat apologetic -- but you're also right in that it will lead into a sequel! Our goal is to produce a post-apocalyptic series following a meta-story that unfolds in the future wasteland. There are a lot of unused mechanics in the background of This Is Not a Test as well that we will experiment with, and we want to perfect our direction based on the demands of the community. This Is Not a Test is, really, a test to see if that's a feasible idea and it appears that it is. Some future coded options for the sequel will include giving you life and making rooms hurt you, making items equippable to modify skill choices or reveal their associated choices, and ultimately adding a combat system similar to how a telnet MUD would tick through a fight.

If anyone wants to give input, we're open to your ideas. Just drop us a line here or at admin@robotmonster.ca.

Wow, thanks for the personal reply, talk about good customer service. Re: the spreadsheet, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything, I did the same thing for all the gamebook adventures by tin man games. They are also great, but I prefer apocalyptic scenarios than generic stock fantasy ones. In terms of future growth, it's great to hear there's room to grow in terms of the backbone of the system.

I think the art is perfect, captures the comic feel well. Suggestions other people have raised are good, e.g. combat, random rolls, etc. I actually think you could 'borrow' a lot from the gamebook adventure series, but you have an edge with a much different art style, and source material.

Glad to keep supporting you, will be day-one buyer for everything from here on out. Also recommended the app to my gaming group, and posted it on facebook.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Update - 1.1.0 Announcement (Now With Checkpoint Feature!)

Hello Touch Arcade!

We wanted to check up on you and let you know how things have progressed with the game!

In the first two months we've had around 1700 downloads and had many positive reviews of our first release: This Is Not a Test: A Post-Apocalyptic Prequel. We're happy to have had so many people die in our game!

Our current development priorities are to create a universal version and to implement a checkpoint system (as recommended by many reviewers, including Touch Arcade). While the universal version was our initial first goal, we put it on hold when we realized we could create a save system much quicker. We've kept at the design of our universal version, but spent our development hours this sprint instead implementing a save system -- which will be submitted to the app store this weekend!

In This Is Not A Test: A Post-Apocalpytic Prequel v. 1.1.0, as you progress through the story, you'll reach checkpoint pages (unknown to you). Once you die, you'll have the option to continue or restart. Selecting continue will transport your character back to the most recent checkpoint. This was probably the most common player point of feedback, and we're happy to build in response to it. The much-anticipated universal version will come on the heels of this release (we can't wait!).

Thank you all for your emails, comments, and suggestions! If you have any questions, we'd be happy to answer them here!

Yours Truly,
-Robot Monster
Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Hey I see the game is up for free on iTunes! That's awesome man, doing that for the holidays? I am making my whole family download the game now that they don't have to pay a buck haha.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooon View Post
Hey I see the game is up for free on iTunes! That's awesome man, doing that for the holidays? I am making my whole family download the game now that they don't have to pay a buck haha.
I hope the point is so they get hooked and want a sequel
Old 12-25-2013, 06:31 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Checking In

Sorry, not for the holidays, just a couple days . It looks like it's already reverted back to $0.99, though we weren't sure what would happen with the App Store freeze this week!

We just released version 1.1.0 with the checkpoint save system. We're actively building to respond to the feedback from our players and reviewers, and that was definitely the #1 want. Next we'll be releasing our universal version which we're actively developing. It has taken longer than we anticipated, but we've also been streamlining our code as we do it, which is good for everyone

Once the universal version is released, we'll be doing a sprint to bulk up the story options and provide some more closure (again, popular demand ). We'll be making the app free for about a week in February, and polling the players (perhaps via reddit?) to suggest story choices that they wanted, but weren't in the game (if they're feasible). I'll post here when that goes down so you guys know how it's happening. Then, in the spring, we'll be working on the next game in the series.

Happy holidays Touch Arcade! Thanks for noticing us!
-Your Pal Robot Monster
Old 01-25-2014, 08:23 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Sequel or updates?

Hey hey, my family loves the game. Most of them got it around the free weekend (that coming around again ) Whats the prospects of a sequel in 2014?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Finally beat the game after buying it in December. Is there only one good ending or are there more? I hope the sequel comes out soon, the ending was cool but I wish there was more than just what it is.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Looks like there's been a July update with the following additions:
-Story additions
-Story changes
-Analytics

Does anybody know what the story additions and changes are? Are the changes significant enough to warrant another playthrough?