Pokemon Black/White Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Watabou, Mar 7, 2011.

?

What starter did you choose?

1. Snivy

41.7%
  2. Oshawott

37.5%
  3. Tepig

20.8%
  1. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    #1 Watabou, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

Pokemon Black and White is released today in the US, and Europe two days ago. I thought I would start a thread so that people can share their experiences and their opinions or just say if you're enjoying this game or not.

This thread can also function as a trade/battle request thread is you wish.

I also put in a poll so you can select the pokemon you chose/are going to choose once you can get your hands on one.

All the information you need to know:
    Black and White Pokedex
    Exclusive Pokemons/Stuff

Past Event Pokemons:
    - Celebi can be downloaded today only as it's the last day to download it. It's required for the Zorua event ingame.
    - Victini can be downloaded starting today thru April 10.

Current Events:
    - Munna C-gear skin can be downloaded from the Dream World with this password: PGLDR34M.
    - Pokemon VCG Championships are underway.
    - Dream World eveelutions are able to be downloaded if you played and won the Breakout game.

For more general stuff, serebii.net has a bunch of information. You can discuss this amazing game, send out requests for trades and battles or post your team! If you post your friend code, I will edit this post to add you to the list so people can find some TA people to trade/battle with easier.

Friend Codes:

2. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Just got Black along with the Collector's Edition handbook. Playing while I do homework hahaha

3. I beat the Japanese version of White a while ago. I'm probably going to buy the inevitable Gray version when it is released in the US.

4. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    One word... Racist! :p

5. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

I would like to get White version but I'm just not diggin' the new 3D look for pokemon games. I would take Pokemon Crystal over the new games any day. I guess I will wait for reviews and if the critics seem to like it I will consider buying.

6. Watabou

Dec 14, 2008
    I hope you're being sarcastic.

There are many reviews out already if you search google. Famitsu(a japanese magazine) gave it 40/40 and it's the first Pokemon game to receive that score. And personally, I love the 3D look, especially in Black and White. They are very well done compared to the 4th generation set of games.

7. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I dont understand what you mean by 3D. It is literally the exact same as every pokemon game before it. 2D sprites. And if you feel like playing Crystal, just pick up Soul Silver or Heart Gold if you haven't. They are awesome remakes of G and S.

I'm sure most people here would take the older games over the newer ones, but it is really only because of nostalgia. Everybody thinks that the older pokemon are better. Thankfully nintendo sees a market for these old remakes, which are amazing.

Anyways, B&W are pretty cool too. I'm not a fan of the starters but my Tepig (now a Pignite) is growing on me. I just think overall that the pokemon from gen 1-3 were so much better.

8. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I want to play White because of that green blob thing and Zekrom :DD

I'm getting it tomorrow instead, because I was too lazy to go today. Bleh, who cares about the toys r us promotion or pre-order benefits >.>

9. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    It's Reuniclus..

And omg I can't wait to get it ^_^ I live in Australia, so I gotta wait for the 10th but whatever :D

10. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    Yeah, ever since my interest in Pokemon died out, I haven't been keeping up with the news. I think I stopped looking at Serebii when the three starters' names were revealed.

11. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

#11 Vester, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    The old games (generations 1-3) are strictly 2D art, the new ones (generations 4 and 5) feature some 3D art in the game world. It is encouraging to hear the 3D has been improved though, i have watched youtube gameplay, but it is a bit difficult to determine graphical quality from those videos. I guess i would just need to see it on a DS screen to understand. Battling, which is the core of the pokemon series, is really the same though besides the use of the touch screen. And I played my friend's Soul Silver, I liked it very much, but because I already own Crystal and I was running low on money I decided to pass. I probably should still get SS or HG eventually.

Also as for reviews I tend to wait on reading them until about a month after the game is released because early reviews give artificially high ratings to some games due to hype. Reviews that are written later seem to be more accurate.

12. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Idk, Famitsu is kindof notorious for only handing out like one perfect score every few years. Personally this game isn't a perfect 10, but then again I never rate anything a perfect 10 even if there is nothing bad about it. (ex. Pulp Fiction, my favorite movie, would only get a 9.5 from me). I guess it's just in my nature to keep looking for the absolute perfect thing.

Anyways, I think the IGN review summed it up best. If you don't like pokemon, this won't change your mind, but if you do like pokemon there is enough new stuff in this game to keep you interested. I'm already at 5+ hours from just today. I'd give it an 8.5 or 9 out of 10, somewhere around there. I'd say get it.

What version did you guys get? I picked up White so I could get the Black legendary and the pokemon that looks like he is suspended in Jello.

Did anyone else feel weird buying this in store? I'm 17 so it was a little awkward, but **** it. Plus I was with a group of five of my friends and then we all played together afterwards. Good times. Oh, and we snagged the last 3 copies at Best Buy so we all felt bad when we walked out and saw this little kid going in, and you knew he was going to get pokemon. Sucks kid.

13. Watabou

Dec 14, 2008
    ^ I felt way weirder. I'm 20 and when I was picking mine up, I saw a kid with a Pikachu hat along with his friend sporting a Ash Ketchum hat.

But I really don't care. I love Pokemon and I play competitively only with many others the same age as me :)

Also, I just beat the first gym city and tried out the C-gear. Some of the features on it are really very nice. I like how you can put two DS's together to trade friend codes with each other. Very cool and handy. Oh and you can also check where your friend is on the map and it tells you what he's doing e.g. "He just beat up a wild Patrat". Even cooler.

I'm really enjoying this game so far.

14. slayerzack1

slayerzack1 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    sony
    i live in japan
    they named it black and white becuz of the 2 chinse symbel's

and it's not Racist

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Serious question: Can you move on the diagonal yet?

16. Watabou

Dec 14, 2008
  17. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

I am too!
    I like Team Plasma. They look like Templars and they're the first team since Team Rocket to have some style.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

One day my prince will come.

19. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    I'm at the daycare area ^_^

We need to set up some kind of TA trade... circle.

20. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Honestly, did you honestly think I was serious, check your spelling though.