iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I agree, with multiplayer, this game has a lot of potential. With more episodes coming, I don't see what's not to like with this game. (Unless you hate RTS's! ;))

2. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I dont think a lite would help all that much. i think if you like RTS games you'd buy this based on reviews/multiplayer/graphics etc. I dont recall warfare inc having a lite and it sold well. Robocalypse and quantum collapse had a lite and didnt sell that well, (actually i dont know about robocalypse), i dont think CC has had a lite and it sold well as well.

All in all, if someone likes RTS, they'll buy this. for $4, its a steal at the amount of content you're getting.

3. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Warefare inc sold well because I believe the app store was still new with the RTS genre at the time and it had a proven following on other mobile devices. It was also one of the first iphone RTS games and now the the app store has tons of them and it's going to be hard for Red Conquest to stand out.

4. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I agree. I think most of those other games were established brands already. If it weren't for TA and the fact that Kooistra is a great dev I think this title may have been overlooked, honestly. $3.99 is a great pricepoint but as an indy a lite version may help get the word out to the masses.

I'm not a marketing guru though.... :eek:

5. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    oh yea, i forgot that these were established already. Well i dont know how well it's selling. Hopefully it does well. How are the newcomers liking the game?

I'm not a RTS guru but i really enjoy this. I dont feel like i missed anything now by not playing RTS on the pc. And the best part is that it feels like I'm going to have fun with it for a LONG time. The challenge missions are taking longer than i thought. I bet it'll be longer to get S in all of them. And there's always multiplayer too. :)

6. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    damned skippy! I haven't tried to persuade my cheapskate friends to buy an app this pricey before... I've bought some bigger apps, too. This is the one I'm pushing for. awesome awesome game!

7. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I know this is such an awesome game i almost feel sorry for those who havent played it :eek:

8. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I'm off to write a review on iTunes. :) (of Red Conquest! of course)
    There's already around three five star ones and nothing below that (rating wise).

It sucks Quantum Collapse got overlooked because that was a great RTS as well, not as much fun as this one though, the controls were a bit hard to get used to as well, and these graphics are just so much nicer.

9. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Are you in the canadian app store? I need more reviews in there, so thanks. :)

And I feel sorry for the Quantum Collapse guy as well - it's a decent game, I picked it up and liked it, but it was hard for me to pick it back up after the first few plays!

The only thing that really gets be going about it is the loooaaaad time. I think if he's got a lot of pre-processing to do with his voxel terrain stuff, or other in game assets, that he should process it once, and SAVE it out to disk to load for the next time. I mean, a lot of what I do is pre-processed, and then I just load it straight from disk and read from the memory as necessary - but it seems like he's got a lot of (pretty cool) tech working behind the scenes there, and it's slowing down the load to the point where I don't want to load up the game anymore!

It's a pretty decent RTS, too! That's why it's sad to me that the one thing that keeps me away is the load time. :(

Especially when I have ideas on how to fix it for him. :(

10. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    #370 majormauser, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    Didn't the QC programer get another job sounded to me like it was a good jump up for him. I guess if you look at it he lost his Indie roots.... joining the man. But he seemed happy about it. QC for me crashes all the time.... its a great game but crashing makes it impossible to play.

Get the rags to review RC... TUAW, ARS and Gizmodo.... I think they would love to review it. I also think a short video tutorial or demonstration of the interface would be a good thing to have because the interface is the game... Promote it. I love what you have done.... I keep finding things that blow my mind when they work so fluidly. One such example is the ship building and pausing ...drag to the back of the line and rinse and repeat. After that you have a ship full of ready ships. Just opened the game up to so many strategies. Genius.

I Eagerly look forward to the next installment....

MM

11. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I tried playing a team match with AIs but my teammates are stupid
    they build only one or two carriers while the other team also builds carriers but everybody attacks me so I die and my teammates do nothing -.-

12. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    #372 Kosikutioner, Dec 17, 2009
    I totally agree with this. A couple suggestions. Talk to the guys at Co-Op (Area5). I know for sure that @jasonbertrand @ryanodonnell and @talkingorange all have iPhone's and have dedicated spots on their video podcast (which is excellent!) to games such as Geared, Canabalt, Mr. Bounce, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, and more. Getting their interest would do wonders I'm sure. John Davison of Gamepro has done features on 'iPhone games you should own'. He previously worked at (co-founded) What They Play and always had iPhone games on there, as well as on ListenUp! He would be another guy who has listeners, readers, who go to him for iPhone gaming.

Also Gamers With Jobs, they sometimes talk about iPhone games on their podcast, I can't remember which ones of them actually have iPhones though. Sorry :)

Anyways, thought I'd throw a few names out there. I know, had I not already owned your game, and heard a recommendation on their show? Definitely always check their 'leads' on games out. Oh and I reviewed the game on the Canadian App store. I always forget to bother with that...

13. Tharob

Tharob Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    none
    Heerenveen, The Netherlands
    yeah im not too worried :p

offtopic: jeeeeh snow! ;)

14. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Yeah, playing with the AI isn't so great. If you're goin to do that, it's best to play at their speed -

1) hide behind them, so that enemies attack them instead of you.

2) when it looks like they're about to send off an attack party, join them. Right now, they will not actively back up your strategy, so you have to back them up. :)

15. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I'll soon be making a Blue Strategy Tutorial in the strategy thread... set in the challenge level "Red Enclave". Yes I know, this level is kinda easy anyway, but the Asteroid field that divides the map into two parts is a nice area to place a tactically awesome army with some blue units (vs an AI. Humans would maybe get past the formation I'll talk about later, but at first you need to learn how to play Blue generally before fighting against humans...). I'm preparing screenshots for it, too...

btw how to post screenshots/other pictures in full size here? I've seen some people being able to do it, some people having problems and some people (like me :D) who can't post pictures at all (well ok the img tags might work, but do they show fullsized pictures?)

16. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Oh, and for any1 of you who doesn't really know whether to buy the game or not... if you don't want to buy it at the moment, at least sign up at
    http://www.12daysofchristmasapps.com/
    There are 3 Red Conquest and 3 Blue Defence codes :D

17. Tharob

Tharob Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    none
    Heerenveen, The Netherlands
    @jakooistra: suggestion for a future update. some sort of veterancy system like in other rts games so that units would level up with more kills. i think something like would work really well in this game. and it would also add even more depth.

18. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    #378 Narziss, Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah, that would be cool. Would motivate the repeated use of the same pieces. Like, there is no reason someone in multiplayer would waste the space to put in a MV if they can just pop out a unit when one dies and maintain a higher firing power.

Now, you're saying, "wait, but you have to wait for them to build if they kill two units!" (so there is still a reason to keep an MV around under this building speed logic, but...)

Actually, like someone else also said earlier, you can have up to 5 completed units, ready to launch, in your builder's queue.

Well, but I don't know if it would mess up the game - although I think having a kill system where units get stronger would be really cool.

19. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Challenge Mode

Well, here are my S's in challenge mode.

I can't for the LIFE of me get an S, even just an A, on the one escape challenge. My best time is 1:17....

I know that the dev said he got S's on every challenge, but are you sure you didn't change something in the level after getting an S on it? - Any tips? - Anyone else beat this? :x

:)

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      48 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views: