Please test my app for alleged error...

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by blitter, Jun 7, 2011.

1. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Hi all

My app (www.BubbleSand.com) was updated recently to v1.2 but there are a couple of reviews on the US App Store which are claiming that they can not load the app properly. They do not go into any detail. There have been no other reports of errors at all.

My current testers have either "broken their devices" (iPod Touch 3), gone away for a week (iPhone 3GS), not available until Friday (iPod Touch 4), and possibly the iPad 2 tester is not abailable when I need them! I have an iPad 1 and have tried my ass off to get an error...with no "joy".

I have reduced the amount of memory required by 1/3 since releasing v1.2 and am ready to upload v1.2.1 already (it also has minor fixes and a music picker). But until someone else either posts a conflicting review (i.e. "Works fine here: iPhone 3GS" etc) or someone can quote the said error, then I'm holding back on sending the fix.

All I need from you is a short reply in this thread, saying if the app works for you or not, please also post your device type (if it isn't listed by your avatar). If you want to be extra kind then a review would really be appreciated (redeem code via iTunes to do this)! I could do with all the help I can get right now.

I can't offer anything much in return as sales are still <500 but I can at least give out promo codes to anyone who doesn't mind this short test. Feel free to test even if you have the same device as me (iPad 1). Here are 10 codes, I have more if requested - as the next update will provide new codes for promotion to websites.

K3NJYEJ9LHNL
    7MMF69FP7JTJ
    YHX3RN73FR9T
    A3NRA9JALM4H
    LW4TX3TM4T9M
    YM4HWX3JEN6F
    AH7FNHNMLTME
    93LE9Y6JMJRH
    M6MJYJ7HF66N
    X9KEEKPM6MHM

Thank you so much anyone who lends a hand on this.

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Just a thought, you might be better off PMing codes to people who agree to help. Lurkers would just take them and be off.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I read this and got the code M6MJYJ7HF66N
    I'm on an ipod touch 3rd Gen 64gb Firmware 4.3.3 Unjailbroken

Ok I installed and launched it without a reboot and immediately got this screen
    [​IMG]

After that as far as I can tell it ran ok but I do get that error when ever I launch it. I tryed a device reboot still get the error message on launch but after hitting continue all seems normal.

4. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I downloaded it with code YM4HWX3JEN6F. Tried it on an iPhone 3GS and it loads and works fine without errors.

5. blitter

#5 blitter, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    Thank you both for the replies.

kohjingyu thats fine, good luck to them! Hope they enjoy :-D I have all of the promo codes for anyone at all, I won't be promoting this app until a fix is live...the side effect of this is 50 new codes will be granted by ITC for v1.2.1

Teknikal you are a star! I renamed that folder recently - an easy fix. Though as you say it does *not* stop the rest of the app from loading, so apart from using 1/3 less RAM in my new fix- I am still keeping my eyes open. Thanks for making the effort my faith in mankind is returning!

I'm off to find an iPhone 3GS...just got lucky!

edit: the actual file was renamed without the underscore "_" all other mentions were correct.

6. blitter

We post at the same time lena! Well I was slow typing due to my own multi-tasking...thank you loads for replying here, I was especially concerned about 3GS (as just mentioned!).

7. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    OK I'm am a bit too late with this blitter, right before posting that you now know what the problem is I got YHX3RN73FR9T, and tested on iPhone 4 and iPad 1 without any issues.

I have found most booting issues are when people upgrade from older versions, I know I have a nightmare testing all permutations when releasing an update to my game as so many things change. Good to hear you know what it is :)

8. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Glad it helped and no problem.

9. blitter

Thanks for your help DemonJim! All devices are now covered. I'm fine about OS variations (most everything is custom code).

I've kept all exportable files universal, but as an added security measure I've just allowed for if a scene is renamed. I would like in the future to show the actual (last edited) canvas contents on the main menu...but first I have a free game to make!

I've seen just once where an update hung on "Installing", it worked fine after a retry.

The 3GS will be a great test device due to the lower free memory...but some people seriously need to upgrade![​IMG]

10. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    used code K3NJYEJ9LHNL on Ipad 2 no problems at all left a review as well I think people just need to update their devices just my opinion

11. Lightworx

Lightworx Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Italy
    Took

A3NRA9JALM4H

Tested on iphone 3GS and iphone 4. No problems on either. I will leave a review on the Uk app store for you. Hope it helps :)

12. blitter

Thanks loads for this dreadnok! Exactly what was needed next to the other confusion.

13. blitter

Awesome thanks Lightworx!

I'm looking forward to the future when I add new features...and update the credits with a TA button.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Took LW4TX3TM4T9M just 'cause I wanted it :p I'll definitely let you know of any problems though, and leave a review later on.

15. blitter

Nice 1 MidianGTX!

@all Thank you to all, this sub-forum has made those final few moments of development a pleasure.
    I have good news and bad news...bad is that I have just reuploaded the final v1.2.1 - we have to wait an extra day if the app's ITC queue position is lost...but the good news is that I fixed a silly nag-screen bug (sorry mr. Ugly if you're reading!!), plus I also had time to include this thread's contributer handles into the credits!

I won't spam the forum with codes any more but I do have around 20 going, just send a short PM - all welcome! Thanks again :)

16. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Just updated on my itunes I can confirm the error I was getting on launch is gone now and it was pretty cool seeing the credits so thanks.

17. chumsize

chumsize New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Picked it up w/AH7FNHNMLTME - tested on iPad2 32g wifi - about 8gb free, not recently restarted. OS 4.3.2

Didn't see the title page crasher, but I did see an intermittent issue:
    - on the 11pm setting, using the "this way is up tool", rotating the screen (from portrait to landscape) causes app to quit.

... hope I earned my code... Thanks!

18. blitter

I guess this thread could do with a "testing sub-forum", maybe? It might be a popular and creative place! Meanwhile we should perhaps keep this thread to private message...I don't have any PMs going on right now so I will have time to respond to any requests etc.

You're welcome Teknikal...it is a good way for me to remember some roots in the future!

@chumsize yes you have earned your code thanks! I shall test this situation on an iPad 2 over the weekend, though I am unable to recreate it on an iPad 1. Bonus if you can recreate this and PM the steps to reproduce. But please do not feel obliged - I am working on a new game right now ;-)

19. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    I have a iPod touch 4G and a iPad 2 with iOS 5 beta, and another iPad 2 with 4.3.3, and a iPod 2G with 3.x or 4.x, I forgot, if you want me to test, just drop by me a PM.