Is tracking users acceptable? (Related to the game 'Combination')

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ChrisJefferson, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ChrisJefferson

ChrisJefferson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm preparing for another big update to Combination. My biggest concern is that I've been getting reports the game is just too hard.

Therefore, I'm tempted to release a small update first, which would send back to a server the levels people have completed, so I can get a feel for how well people are doing.

I wouldn't record any identifiable information, but still, would that upset people? Would popping up a box asking for permission annoy people, or drastically reduce the amount of information I get?

On a practical note, if anyone out there has played Combination, did you find it too hard? Too easy?

2. unconnected

unconnected Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    Unfortunately I've not played your game, but could you dress this up with some kind of online score table, at least that way there is some mutual benefit to be had for submitting statistics like the ones you're after?

Kudos for actually asking before doing it too!

3. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #3 lacedolphin, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    I would think if the players agree to it there shouldn't be a problem. Many other games keep a leader board, maybe something like that would be ok? Sorry, I also have not played your game. If the game itself is too difficult, maybe making a hint button or add more clues?

4. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I have played the game and I don't recall hitting a point where I got stuck. Like a lot of games I start playing something else, then something else and "Oh, haven't played that for a while" and so it goes. Few games take my attention from start to completion (one so far in fact) so if you had the data from me it could be misleading.
    Equally if I had just reinstalled it back and started again it too could be misleading.

That aside I certainly don't have a problem with that sort of data going back to any puzzle dev - it can only improve matters.

The suggestion from unconnected is very good.

5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I like this game :), but I'm far from finishing it. Something like 50%.

The harder levels are expectedly hard. But I don't think it's unreasonably hard. It gets progressively harder but I always thought that is alright. It doesn't suddenly get really hard, it's well paced.

Risky and Knotty's later levels was where I started getting challenged. Baffling onwards is very challenging. I like them like that. What the point of it if it's all easy?

I don't like intrusive popups and I suspect most people don't. It will be especially annoying if it keeps prompting to connect to a server when I don't have connection to the internet. I'll delete apps that do that.

You could make a poll here to ask if people think your game is too hard.

6. ChrisJefferson

ChrisJefferson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I've found hints are a very tricky thing. I did release a beta with a hint button, but found that users tended to get to a certain point, and then just start hammering it, to get through the levels, without really trying. They would finish the game quite quickly, but not actually enjoy it very much.

Unfortunately, it turns out (and I don't want this to sound patronising..), that players can't be trusted to know what's best for them :)