Best place to start?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JosephDuffy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy

JosephDuffy Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Hi,
    I'm looking at making an iPhone/iPad App. It's going to be very simple, only a list App, obviously with other screens.
    I'm hoping to use this as a learning curve to eventually making more complicated Apps. I've tried making Apps before, but I never had the will power to stick at it. However, I feel I've matured enough to stick at it, and I could use to save the money for University.
    I'm wondering where to start. I've got one book by Bill Dudney (I can't remember the name), although I feel I just don't fit with the style of writing.
    I'm looking for a simple tutorial or book that shows how to make a list App (A book that'll go further, obviously), since I'd like to crack on with my idea, the coding shouldn't take too long, it's the content that will!
    Thanks for any help,
    Joseph Duffy

2. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I started learning from the cs193p Stanford lectures on iTunes U. I found them really useful. They assume some programming knowledge but as they were real lectures I found the students asked the sort of questions I needed answers to. I don't know if they are still there as this was over a year ago now but I'd definitely check.

3. Nicolo

Nicolo Active Member

Feb 10, 2011
    IOS dev
    France
    You can read the tutorials section on http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/
    But I think you must download the last version of iOS SDK and try to understand the examples included with the documentation. Then try to make a - really - simple app.

4. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

I used the same lectures, they helped me a lot, i also suggest you start with that!They are the best.Try this.Cheers!

5. JosephDuffy

Nov 9, 2009
    #5 JosephDuffy, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    Downloading the Fall 2010 Edition of cs193p, since it says that's the latest on the website (Although iTunes has the Winter, I think that's a different course?). I think this will be great, as I can load them onto my iPad, and watch them at will any time :D
    Thanks for the help guys :)

6. JosephDuffy

Nov 9, 2009
    I started watching these, and a prerequisite of knowledge of "Object-Oriented Programming" was on there, pointing to CS106A&B. However, these don't seem to have any downloadable lectures.
    Can anyone help me with this, please? :)
    Thanks for the help so far,
    Joseph Duffy

7. JosephDuffy

Nov 9, 2009
    After looking through other tutorials, I guess I now need to learn an object orientated language first.
    Since most of you guys must have followed the same route, can anyone point me to a language, and maybe even a resource to learn it, that seamed to help you grasp iOS Development?
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy