Infinity Blade passes Cut The Rope as fastest grossing iOS app ever.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 13, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  2. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Cut the Rope selling a million in 10 days still seems more impressive to me. But we'll see how long it takes for Infinity Blade to get that high.

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Bullshit I'd say. CtR's sales were official info, IB's are based on Game Center, where even a cracked app can be used.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah, I agree with that. Cut the Rope was an indie game that came out of nowhere, Infinity Blade was a product of months of pre-release hype. I'm not sure I agree with appmodo's numbers either, must be a slow news day.

5. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Either way, for all those eagerly awaiting IB's promised updates, the success of the game in the app store is critical..

6. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Very true !
    Guess why !

7. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    Lol good point. According to thr article the app should've generated 1.6m from the app store. I'd love to see the apple statistics...

8. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    You've also gotta take into account that for every 1 person who uses GameCenter/Openfeint/etc, there's generally about 3x more people that don't. So it could be even higher than that, for all we know. I'd wait for official numbers before assuming anything, of course.

9. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    That may be so, but you're underestimating the piracy numbers. My game Silverfish has WAY more GC users than actual sales. Some of those might be legitimate multi-user installs but the rest are unaccounted for and far outweigh users that don't use Game Center. I'd expect a high-profile game like Infinity Blade to see 70% or more piracy rates in the first few days.

10. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    cut the rope=most overrated game ever

11. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Tweet from Mark Rein (the horses mouth so to speak) "Great Infinity Blade success stories today however the Game Center numbers being reported are quite a bit lower than the actual sales :)"

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I agree that Infinity Blade had a bunch of hype while Cut The Rope sold simply on word of mouth. Also, in pure number of sales, Cut The Rope already has beaten Infinity Blade back (alongside Angry Birds).

However, as far as Appmodo's reported gross numbers:
    http://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/status/14416391276855296

13. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Well, sucks to be me then! :(

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Really doubt that is true, but who am I to disagree with the mighty Mark Rein (whoever that is).

15. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    He along with Rod Ferguson and Clifford Blezinski (not sure I spelled that right) pretty much are the unreal engine - Epic Games. I think the point he was trying to make was the ridiculousness of trying to draw conclusions based on the number of users registered with game centre. The only data available to whoever has been making the conclusions.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah, without a source on those numbers that tweet is about as worthless as any speculating on sales.

17. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Right.

@scary: thanks for the info. : D

18. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I've read while IB put up 250k in sales, in that same period, there were over 2 million pirated copies. That's closer to 88% piracy rate if anything (granted, many are re-downloads and multi-installs and stuff). And I'm guessing there's a majority even in the TA community.

19. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    Post a source.

20. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Silverfish is a great game and hatts off to you for making it.