Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 04-04-2014, 06:24 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor jermiah View Post
A game that has a lot of content is xcom enemy unknown. I looked on the internet and people estimate that it has roughly 20-25 hours of gameplay, depending on what you do, and that's just the first playthrough. Some videogames i played have the same amount of hours of gameplay or less.
That is very true but one game does not make a valid case. Xcom is a well-known exception, as would be the Baldurs Gate games; and it's worth noting that these are ALL ports.

As a personal note 25hr. is not what I would regard as "a lot of content" but that's mostly besides the point as it's not the average length of offerings but the overall range of offerings which matters, something iOS is doing mostly well on.

The problems with iOS as a serious gaming platform, at least for actual enthusiasts, isn't the titles on offer but the marketplace itself. Apple is the problem here.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

It's not as if Google Play is any better.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
It's not as if Google Play is any better.
I haven't used it but unfortunately that doesn't make Apple any better.

I'd argue that any proprietary marketplace is bad for the end user. The PC market would be left just as non-viable if I was forced to buy, and run, everything through steam. Thankfully there's still physical copies, gog, direct from the developer, etc... you can "demo" any title before you buy and returns are an actual option in many of those cases. It's an open market where I can back-up games if I so choose and play anything released from a 30+ year backlog on whatever hardware I so choose.

It's a viable market, I'd like to see iOS, or mobile, develop along those same lines.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topherunhinged View Post
I haven't used it but unfortunately that doesn't make Apple any better.

I'd argue that any proprietary marketplace is bad for the end user. The PC market would be left just as non-viable if I was forced to buy, and run, everything through steam. Thankfully there's still physical copies, gog, direct from the developer, etc... you can "demo" any title before you buy and returns are an actual option in many of those cases. It's an open market where I can back-up games if I so choose and play anything released from a 30+ year backlog on whatever hardware I so choose.

It's a viable market, I'd like to see iOS, or mobile, develop along those same lines.
Then really your issue is with digital distribution, which despite it's issues, I feel the App Store is definitely one of the better implementations out there. Interestingly enough, it's the only digital store I've been successful at getting a refund on.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
Then really your issue is with digital distribution, which despite it's issues, I feel the App Store is definitely one of the better implementations out there. Interestingly enough, it's the only digital store I've been successful at getting a refund on.
It the use of digital distribution as DRM that I don't like. I prefere gog.com and downloading direct from developers; sources that let me back-up my purchases and install them on as many devices as I choose, over and over, year after year. I just don't like not having control over what I've purchased.

So, I wouldn't say that I hate the App Store but I do hate Apples proprietary nonsense and but I wonder what'll happen to all these titles in ten years. How will I play them then? Or next week, on the off-chance Apples pulls one that I like tomorrow, it certainly happens, MS pulled that stunt on me a few times.

Nice that you got a refund, I've heard some horror stories.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topherunhinged View Post
That is very true but one game does not make a valid case. Xcom is a well-known exception, as would be the Baldurs Gate games; and it's worth noting that these are ALL ports.

As a personal note 25hr. is not what I would regard as "a lot of content" but that's mostly besides the point as it's not the average length of offerings but the overall range of offerings which matters, something iOS is doing mostly well on.

The problems with iOS as a serious gaming platform, at least for actual enthusiasts, isn't the titles on offer but the marketplace itself. Apple is the problem here.
I could agree with you that apple is the problem, but they may be ports, but its a very bright outlook for more games like that to come out.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacleod View Post
I think developers often seem to think that the App Store is ONE market. It isn't. It's full of gamers of all types, from ultra casual to extremely hardcore.

Hardcore games will never, ever appeal to everyone. But we're talking about a big pool of potential customers here. Enough hardcore gamers are in that pool to support the niche.

I'd like to see developers market to that niche. Raise prices significantly, cut out all the social / timer / ad BS. Truly embrace the fact that your limited market, niche game will NEVER become number 1 on the charts. That's okay - the App Store is huge, and the audience is there if you look for it.
problem is (talking of experience), im all in for niche games, buuut.. they get lost in appstore, so players that might have bougt and enjoyed might never hear of it. it needs some attention from someone in the first place. appstore is a place a developer either makes or breakes it, there is no middle ground.