Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Must admit i would love the more retro style. Think the game has huge potential but the graphics as they are 'may' put some people off
Yeah, I feel like we made a couple missteps along the way as far as style goes. We kept oscillating between slick vector and retro. But keeping up the slick vector look for such a large game is really hard (and expensive). And since it's tile based, the tech didn't really line up with that look either.

It's also hard to get a reliable feedback loop going with indie development. A detached-from-the-project producer/sales team/marketing team ads a lot more value than I had realized. I used to hate the executive team breathing down my back, but I better understand their function. I think we, and even the people we were testing with were too close to the project to see the flaws.

I think we're going to do a few more mock-ups and try to tune the style before we start serious production on "v2.0" art if we go down that route. Hope you guys don't mind if I post some art tests here for feedback.

I keep promising myself that I'll write a postmortem.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I think sites such as this are great for totally neutral feedback. Plus most people will do it for free (or a promo code) and i think feedback from potential players can be so beneficial. You said your testers were too close to the project, I can imagine thats quite a common issue for devs.

Still i'm sure you've learnt a ton from this and your next effort (or this update) will be really good.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I appreciate this dev being open to both positive and negative feedback. It sucks when feedback is taken the wrong way. I've had some not too nice experiences lately. It burned me on a few devs.

But since this was such positive experience I think I'll play the game more and provide some additional feedback. This is one of my favorite genre anyway so not as big a deal as playing something I'm not actually interested in.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
I appreciate this dev being open to both positive and negative feedback. It sucks when feedback is taken the wrong way. I've had some not too nice experiences lately. It burned me on a few devs.

But since this was such positive experience I think I'll play the game more and provide some additional feedback. This is one of my favorite genre anyway so not as big a deal as playing something I'm not actually interested in.
Well, I am super sensitive . But your feedback is on point. Until we can do a 'major' revision I'm submitting a 0.1 release that speeds up the cinemas and text display, adds auto-save, and fixes a few nasty bugs. I'm trying to sneak in game center support (right now, probably just 'clear time'). I'll let you know when the update gets submitted.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Default 1.1.0

Just submitted 1.1.0. Added autosave, improvements to the display speed of text and cinemas, Game Center Leaderboards, and lots of tiny bugfixes. I'll post a note here when it goes live.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 AM

It may sound superficial, but the artstyle really put me off. It just looks cheap. I usually can get past ugly visuals if the gameplay is good, but I just have too much stuff to play to bother.

Now, I liked the retro style and I would definitely give the game another shot.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heringer View Post
It may sound superficial, but the artstyle really put me off. It just looks cheap. I usually can get past ugly visuals if the gameplay is good, but I just have too much stuff to play to bother.

Now, I liked the retro style and I would definitely give the game another shot.
Yeah, we're trying out some ideas while we port the game. It's a little disappointing that the style puts some people off. Is there anything in particular about the art you didn't like? I'm not entirely sure how to interpret "cheap". I think the art style is a little inconsistent, and that's what we are working on and are trying to clean up while we port.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Just re-installed it

Forgot how much i loved the music. The opening scene with all the 'star bright...' stuff was a bit odd/childish, wasnt keen on that.

I love the thought of a 'metroid-vania' game, but for me the thing i wasnt keen on was the fat king on the chain, if this was the traditional single character jumping/collecting stuff in a metroid type of way i would love this. But i suppose one of the unique things is the 'chain' double character thing.

Saying that i just played it for a solid 15 minutes and i'm really enjoying it (But still liked that bit early on where the fat king wasnt attacked to me but i admit its growing on me

Not keen on the standard OS quit popups though !

But despite the constructive criticism above (dont take it too heart too much !) you've got yourself a sale. Just unlocked it now and i'll have a longer play later. Its grown one me a lot already, the graphics i didnt love before but seeing some of the detail/love put into some of the backgrounds its growing on me a lot.

Being a traditional gamer i think the whole 'guy chained to my character' gameplay i didnt love but obviously thats what makes it a bit different. I'll keep playing and let you know how i get on later. But yeah i played more than i did before and i does grow on you big time.

The graphics arent as bad as i first thought, i suppose its a bit 'different', its a bit cartooney/bit retro, bit handdrawn, cant quite put my finger on it.

But so far i'm enjoying it much more than i did before, and i'm getting into the whole 'go to point a, get a mission, go to point b' Metroidvania type experience. The save system i think could be improved (no OS popups) with a simple press menu and save or something as i'm nervous when to quit in case it doesnt save my progress
Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Default Porting

Just a quick update. We've been working on the port, and it's slowly coming together. I'm not sure if we'll update the iOS version to use unity, or keep the iOS version native.

Anyway, here's what we're working on:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Not much yet, but it's coming along. Downloading the iOS version will help make the port go faster! Really!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Default 1.1.1

Star Saver 1.1.1 is available! We added some Game Center support (speed run leaderboards), plus faster text (and story scene) scroll, auto-save, and a few other bug fixes and minor stuff mentioned here.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-saver/id829013676?mt=8

We'd appreciate a rating on the App Store for the new version . Even if you've rated it before, it really helps!

We are continuing to work on and improve the game, so if you have any other suggestions for an update please share!