To those of you that bought Chaos Rings 2

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by VickMackey, Mar 16, 2012.

1. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Is it worth the $18 price tag? That is one of the highest priced games I have encountered on iOS and I am very hesitant because of all the different games I could get for that amount. I bought the original chaos rings for $9 so this has me scratching my head. So, in a nutshell, to those who bought it, is it worth 18 bones!?

2. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    So far, yes definitely yes. Expect something like a really good psp game.

3. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it took me 24hr to beat the game.
    console quality and console price---not that expensive for me, because I shared the accounts with my friends.

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    One option would be to just wait for a sale, which is what I'm doing. I've bought most of Square-Enix's on release day, even when I wasn't planning on playing it for awhile, so I don't mind being cheap occasionally and waiting for a price drop. Normally, I do like to support developers who are willing to bring higher quality games at a higher price to iOS devices (there are a ton of $5+ games I've bought on day 1), but sometimes I know I won't be touching the game for months, so I figure I'll just wait instead.

5. seo25

seo25 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    this game has me hooked - ive just finished the game and its great, well worth the $18! i cant wait to see what they do with the episodes that are supposed to come out later =D

6. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #6 violentv, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    I suppose I didnt regret shelling out 20USD for the Ipad version since JRPGs of this calibre are practically non existent inthe Appstore ....however I have to say that it is far far from console quality especially 7th generation console games in terms of graphics, scripting and gameplay. You can definitely feel the presence of a tight budget throughout the game.Eg. supposedly heartwarming flashbacks and certain scenes are conveyed with black screens with plain text instead of FMVs or 3d cutscenes.

However, Chaos Rings 2 is still by far the best JRPG in the AppStore. The understanding of the term RPG has been warped so badly in recent years and this is especially so in the appstore. Anything that has a level up window and some customization is tagged as a RPG ...nevermind that the overarching plots are juvenile and that the character development non existent. Such RPGs are just agglomerations of menial fetch quests and their growing presence and popularity in the Appstore is rather ..disturbing.

Chaos Rings 2 is an excellent JRPG that can stand its own ground against most JRPGs on the PSP. The plot and pacing of the game is decent and the characters are generally endearing and likeable. The battle system is reasonably complex and additional stuff like challenges and side quests really amps up the fun factor and the longevity of the game.

It also helps that Chihara Minori is voicing one of the characters and providing the vocals for the theme song of the game! If you are truly a JRPG fan or an avid gamer sick of the paltry and shallow RPG offerings in the Appstore , this game is a must have for you! For those who are curious, the play time is about 16 hours or so with major content updates coming along in just a month or so.

At the end of the day, I won't deny that this game is overpriced compared to games on other handhelds and consoles. It's however a good game on a mobile platform so it is not surprising that there is a premium price tag attached to it.

7. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #7 visionwebs, Mar 21, 2012
    16 to 24 hours for this much money is a swizz.
    But I only think that because I like to be challenged.

Not saying it looks BAD, it just doesn't look like value for the price.

You could get 10-20 99p$ games and get months of gameplay value instead :s

8. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #8 klarence, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    you are right, get zenonia 3 for free and have a 30hr gameplay.
    zenonia 4 is a potential great game, but iap problem is serious.
    and not forget destinia for 6hr gameplay, free too. destinia is like a simplified zenonia with better control.
    not mention that one another game FF3 of Square Enix is the most overpriced game on the IOS.

9. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #9 klarence, Mar 21, 2012
    it's console quality, graphic is important but not all the thing.
    not to mention turn based games on ipad are more convenient and easy to access than pc and consoles.
    and the graphic of this game is not that bad. We know that dynasty warriors is a console game series with not good graphics, poor scripting and heavily repetitive gameplay, but it's still a console game.
    and how about famous console game SIMS 3? it's graphic is really poor.
    for the price, it's a overpriced game compared to other IOS games. but i don‘t think it's expensive compared to other platforms if you can share account with others or you have multiple ios device in use.

10. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    x_X which part of it is 7th generation console quality?! Since we are comparing JRPGs, let me throw out a few names ...Lost Odyssey, Tales of Xillia, Xenoblades Chronicles, The Last Story, Tales of Vesperia. Now if you can give me a point by point comparison as to how chaos rings 2 is better than them in anyway.. I would be glad to listen. lol. I am sure the games in the Chaos Rings franchise do seem like 'console quality' games when compared to the other offerings in the Appstore though.

I also don't recall explicitly mentioning that I was looking only at the graphics too. Plot..gameplay etc..they all fall really short. This is only to be expected since it is a mobile game with a budget and size constraint.

11. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #11 klarence, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    you are probably right due to I just compared this game with other console games I'd ever played. and I don't have JRPG experience before except FF3.
    and in my eyes, FF3 is pretty bad. But I have to admit this game, the chaos rings 2 attracts me from mass effect. So it's make me wondering maybe I should try more JRPGs.
    I would keep an eye for second used games which you list above. But I won't buy a new one for console, because I'd already got some kind of boring with turn based gimmick and never fond of girlish boy with strange hairstyle keep talking nonsense.
    another important reason or main reason is I can never afford a new game and I don't want to sell my games. anyway, it seems JRPG is really great.

12. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #12 bigred447uk, Mar 21, 2012
    I just don't buy all this zoning to weird worlds stuff. I just want one really immersive world with an epic over-arcing story. I know that all takes lots of money but the story is everything in these things (to me at least!).

I don't want to be in some weird cathedral with outrageous characters right at the start. I want a gentle intro learning the lore of the world I am about to explore.

Anyway I'm not bitching that much about the game. I've really enjoyed what I've played so far and the back story seems more immediately engaging than the first.

I may be doing both games an injustice as I never plays more than 5 hours ofthe first and I'm only 3 hours into this one.

Difference with this and the first is I'm engaged enough to carry on playing I think, despite my earlier criticism of the setting.

Edit : I really wanted to run out of those woods and find a village etc. Lol.

13. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    mole kart deserves some love?
    I dunno, in fact it's more expensive than mario kart. In mole kart, you just have two charaters and 2 to 4 maps? I can't remember exactly.you need to pay 10 dollar to unlock the whole game.
    the graphic is good and control is not bad. But in mario kart, you have all charaters and 40+ maps and online gaming.it's 40 dollar.
    so the original one is cheaper.

14. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    ^ wait, what?!

15. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #15 bigred447uk, Mar 21, 2012
    Well I love Mole Kart whatever anyone says. It's addictive.

I have a 3DS and Mario Kart etc but I play Mole Kart a lot on the bus !

Edit : ok I guess you can call me for Mole Kart a bit but I'm glad no-one is calling Fall of Angels ! , and sorry for off-topic.

16. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    oh one more thing, anyone of you guys think the game is some kind of anti christ?

17. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was creeped out by it....

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #18 Vovin, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    I just wonder what you guys smoked before adding comments to the thread.

Moreover, why always the console comparisons? The iPhone is a phone, that's why it's called iPhone. It runs games, cool. But that wasn't Apple's first intention. Consoles are made for games in the first place.
    You compare apples to oranges.

19. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that when people refer to consoles in regards to iphone, they mean handheld game consoles/portables. At least in this case. In which case, the Chaos Rings games would graphically be best compared to PSP titles, like Crisis Core.

20. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    Do you ever imagine that someday you can connect your phone to TV and you have a controller to play the game. Then it's a console.
    The new ipad already as powerful as a home console and next gen iphone this year would get same power too.
    oh that would be so convenient and comfortable compared to this gen home console technology.