Minecraft: Xbox edition is out!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TakenXXDeadly, May 9, 2012.

1. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    It's out now! Well, here in Australia it is. :D finally. 50 percent complete.

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Might pick it up over the weekend. Please post impressions :D

3. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Well, personally I think it's alright, but not great. But like all minecraft ports, there will always be updates. This version is before 1.7. There's no beef, either. The achievements are super easy, but some take time to do. There's avatars and gamer pictures, too. Items arent in the game (obviously), eg. Stone bricks.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    My kids tried to buy it this morning but the price was listed as -1. When they tried to buy it it said they didn't have enough points. Oh well. I had them download the trial and we'll try to unlock it later.

5. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Who the F cares

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    A lot of people, it seems.

7. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Only Mojang can get away with releasing incomplete games and selling them in droves. I bit, twice, looks like its time for a 3rd :)

8. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I can see what you mean with the pocket edition, and even this version, but what they did for the original was actually pretty neat. I wouldn't say it was incomplete. I mean, if you pre-order a game as soon as it's announced at a convention, then you're paying for a game that could potentially be delayed or or something worse. I found it to be a quite attractive business model. Dunno bout others, but I just find it like a better version of pre-order.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Can't fault Mojang for branching out, but it's pretty clear that unless you're heavily into split-screen gaming, there's no point in buying this when you own the PC version.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #10 crunc, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
    Well, at least in my case, the game looks a lot better on Xbox/HDTV then it does on my computer, so there's that. And yes, the splitscreen mode is awesome. Well it is, but actually it also seems a little buggy. When playing 4 player sometimes the crafting menu doesn't respond to button presses. Hopefully they fix that soon.

Another problem we ran into is, we think, related to the earlier version of the game. We have one save where zombies and skeletons keep spawning inside our well lit house when we try to sleep through the night. My oldest says he believes that in earlier versions there was a bug where if a well lit area is directly adjacent to an area where they can spawn (it's dark there), then they can end up spawning in the well lit area even though they shouldn't. I don't know, but we are certainly getting spawns in our house. Worse he died with all the tools and weapons somewhere else, so we are struggling to make it through the night, constantly being woken up and then killed because we don't have a sword. LOL. I guess make sure, during daylight, that there are no caves adjacent to your house and that you don't dig out right around your house.

Another bonus to the xbox version is that it's a lot easier to to play with friends online. Xbox live makes that easier. Well, at least in theory. I haven't done that yet, but I believe you can see that others are playing and then just join their game.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  12. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I find it a bit upsetting that the worlds are only 1000x1000 blocks... :(

13. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    Well... I will still be playing it on my PC on a local server instead of on me XBOX.. I bought the game wanting to play splitscreen for a party I was hosting. We all got together to play it, but we couldn't because it 'requires a HDTV to play splitscreen. It also doesn't help that the map is only 1000x1000 blocks.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Wow, really? Damn, that pretty much seals the deal if you ask me. 1000 is absolutely nothing, I travel that far just looking for somewhere nice to set up camp on the PC version, and I also have single structures that span out over 1000 blocks. Even before I knew about this limitation I thought it was an obvious choice, but now it's practically been crippled.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Well, my kids absolutely love the Xbox version (they have the Mac version too). They've been playing it a lot. Hopefully they expand the world in updates. I think with the incredible sales of the game, hopefully they'll fasttrack improvements to it. Mind you, I'm not yet really into Minecraft (PC or Xbox) myself yet. I've played a little with my kids splitscreen and that's fun for a while, but I think I need to sit down and start my own game and do the tutorial. Maybe that will hook me. The splitscreen is great, though. They've played 2 players and even 4 players with a couple friends. They are getting a lot of mileage out of it even in its current form.