What's Your Inspiration?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Hobbsicle, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Just for fun, I thought we could all talk about the project we're currently working on, and the games that have inspired or influenced the project.

So give the following info:

• An elevator pitch (1 or 2 sentence decription) of your current game project
    • The games that have inspired this particular project
    • What aspects of those game in particular inspired you

I'll give my answer here in a little while. :cool:

2. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Alright, alright, here's mine.

Working on a game called "Timecode".

It is a 2D physics game where you are in an experimental lab testing a brand new technology: space-time manipulation. Instead of manipulating objects directly, you control the flow of time of individual objects.

The two biggest inspirations would probably be Portal and Braid.

Portal: The ability to freely experiment with such an interesting sci-fi mechanic is a big inspiration for Timecode, as well as the fact that there is a larger plot underneath the immediately apparent.

Braid: The element of time manipulation used to create some very clever puzzles has an obvious link to our game. This game was also fun to experiment with in order to solve the puzzles.

Honorable mention inspiration: Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor, in that it told a story completely in the background that you could study and interpret as much as you desired without having to take a forced break from gameplay.

Well? Anyone else gonna jump on this one? It's a good opportunity to just talk about your project and remind yourself of the great moments of gaming that inspire you to do this in the first place.