Java or c++

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by knighthalo123, Mar 7, 2012.

?

Java or C++

1. Java

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. C++

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Well I just recently started learning how to program and making some small time programs(NOT GAMES) in Java. When my friend told me that C++ is way easier, so I looked over some code and tutorials... surprise surprise, C++ is way easier than Java AND more user friendly in terms of game developing. But since I'm already learning Java, I dont know if I should switch to Java or C++

So what do you guys think? Java or C++? Which one is more easier to learn? Which one is easier to program games in?

2. aviadbd

aviadbd Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    You realize you've started a taste debate now, right? This might end badly. Anyway, good luck with either!

3. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Its cool, if i get results and a proper reason to start programming in a specific language, im fine :D

4. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Before this thread becomes too hot, let me just say this. The choice of language is really not important. Whichever language you choose, there will be positives and negatives, easy stuff and difficult stuff. Look around, great games have been made in C++ and Java, and in other languages aswell.
    I am a pure C++ guy and have never looked at java, but I would say if you are already learning java, stick with it. There are great career opportunities either way too. It really depends on where you want to go.
    Ultimately, as long as you are learning something, it doesnt matter.

5. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    I wont address which is easier to learn. As far as which is "better" or which one people prefer, that can turn into a religious war real quick. What I did want to say is that you should consider what your ultimate goal is in learning the language. By that I mean what types of applications you want to be making, on what platforms, and whether you want to do it professionally or not. If, for example, you want to become a game developer working on iPhone games, or at a dev studio doing console or PC games, or something like that... then C++ is the way to go. If you want to be making web-based games, then Java might be a better choice.

6. jhspaybar

jhspaybar Active Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I would say there's a benefit in learning a language in which you must do the memory management(C++). In the end, it doesn't hurt to learn both and known both as they will each teach you slightly different constructs, but I do think there's a big benefit in truly understanding how memory is managed.

7. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    The question seems to have been answered in the original post.

If you find C++ easier, and you think it more suitable for what you want to do, then learn C++.