Pre Order in App Store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Repulsa, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Can someone explain the point of the new Pre Order games popping up in the App Store? what is the point other then to tick you off that you can’t play it right now?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    They often come with discounts. For many folks, it’s also a way to show support to indie developers, or let major ones know that we’re willing to pay for good games. Also, with the volatility of the AppStore market, it’s nice to have definitive confirmation of when a game is actually releasing.

Finally, it’s kind of fun, and pretty harmless considering how cheap iOS games are.

3. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Hmm bu could lack of support cause developers to pull games? I thought about what you wrote and pre ordered several I was interested in as a show of support

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I guess that’s always a possibility, but I have a feeling that Apple is going to make it mighty hard for people to abuse the system.

Preordering is controversial, no question about it, and I don’t blame anyone for avoiding it. I just think that the AppStore version of it is fairly benign.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Also whenever a pre-ordered game launches, you get a notification on your phone and it auto-downloads to your device. Probably not something people who read TA need very much since we're always watching for the new releases, but the other 99% of iOS device users are likely unaware when big games launch so this is a way to get a reminder.