Max Payne (Remedy/Rockstar)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sodsoulja1222, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sodsoulja1222

Sodsoulja1222 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    #1 Sodsoulja1222, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

Release is for XBox360, PS3 and PC.

Fail.

Classic MP might come for mobiles, acc to the article.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I cleaned up this thread and added a link to the pocketgamer article to the OP. THIS IS NOT A RUMOR OR A MISUNDERSTANDING. Rockstar has apparently confirmed that the game is coming to "mobile."

Hopefully we'll hear more about this soon.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh wow you're finally right ;O Can't wait.

5. Sodsoulja1222

Sodsoulja1222 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    thank you!!!!!

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Holy. Shit.

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    wow - thats crazy. So if its going to be somewhat the same 'experience' as the consoles, will it have a console price, I wonder.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Doubt it. My guess is that they're rolling the cost of developing the mobile version into the overall console budget. They're probably banking on the idea that nobody who has a console would buy just the iPhone version, but would in fact buy both. But that's just a guess.

9. killidi

killidi New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Lol, read press release (your first link):
    It's not iOS version of Max Payne 3. The game that coming to mobile devices is updated of version of original Max Payne from Remedy.

Imho, it's much better then MP 3.

10. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Yeah the first Max Payne with HD graphics is pretty awesome :)

I hope they do up Max Payne 2 the same way if the first is successful.

11. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Considering that right now Max Payne 3 appears to be an unfortunately generic pile of [pudding] that bears little in common with the preceding two titles, seeing the first game(s) announced for iOS is much better news than any iOS MP3 announcement could ever be. ^_^

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Agreed!

13. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #13 dumaz1000, Sep 8, 2011
    I have serious doubts regarding an iOS release. Nobody knows for certain, outside of people who actually work for Rockstar. I will grant that much.

However, I cannot believe that Rockstar would A, create a legitimate AAA gaming experience for iOS devices and then sell it for 9.99, or less; or that they would have enough guts to incur massive production costs for a game that they know ahead of time will debut on the appstore at a price signficantly above 9.99.

Sure, they could try and sell it for 19.99, for example, and it might turn a profit, but there are no guarentees, because nobody has tried it, and to invest a ton of upfront money on a whim like that is the type of business risk that these sort of companies aren't in the habit of taking.

Personally, I hope that do create a truly premium iOS game and sell it for $20, minimum, but I would be shocked if they did.

Best case scenario, they dumb it down a bit and strip away signficant content, like with Dead Space, and sell it for 9.99. Don't get me wrong, the iOS verison of Dead Space is a reasonable effort in terms of loosely mimmicking a console game. But if this is that, then it's likely not anything to get excited about. Dead Space is only a 2-hour iOS game.

There's also the question of how much a Max Payne to mobile devices port would cost. We're likely not even talking about Max Payne 3 here. The whole thing is a little murky though. Is it Max Payne 1 HD or Max Payne 3? Is it Andriod, iOS or, heck, java/flash. In general though. I don't think Rockstar would bring a full console experience game to the iOS. Gameloft and EA are the only companies currently in that business.

14. umerbhatti

umerbhatti Active Member

Jul 27, 2011
    London
    Wow i m fan of max payne , cant wait

15. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    #15 BlindingLights, Sep 8, 2011
    To be fair they're not exactly making a game from scratch. Just porting it with some updated textures?

I thought the graphics were impressive when I first played it, but looking at videos now, it looks like something that Gameloft could create in their spare time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56LEzKVhVyE

And I'm guessing they'd probably price it along the lines of GTA Chinatown Wars.

16. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'm not sure why. Rockstar have said that it's coming out, and there's no reason to doubt that; it's not as if they just casually made the statement without actually thinking about what they'd have to do to get the game here.

Your post seems to indicate a belief that the mobile offering will be Max Payne 3, which isn't the case: it's the original Max Payne that's coming to iOS. 9mm showed that the gameplay or presentation of the original MP wouldn't be hampered by the transition to a mobile platform (especially given that fifth generation devices are only a month away, not that MP would need them), so I'm not sure why there's this sudden disbelief that a company could manage to successfully pull off a complete, uncut port of a game that came out ten years ago.

Given the age of the game, a US$10 price point is likely (if not lower); for an ages-released title like Max Payne, the money the developers make back is likely to outweigh the relatively minimal cost of porting a game for which all the serious development work was finished over a decade ago.

17. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    screenshots/gameplay before we talk prices

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I will be changing the name of this thread soon, since clearly pocketgamer got the story wrong and what we're talking about here is the original Max Payne, not MP3. As it happens, I recently replayed the game on my Mac (after being reminded of it by the 9mm announcement). Even with all the settings maxed out, the game still looks pretty crude by iOS standards -- it's over a decade old, after all. I can easily see a current-gen iPhone or iPad running it even with improved textures.

I actually think that this is a pretty brilliant marketing move by Rockstar -- a great way to revive interest in a very old franchise while still paying some service to the "mobile space."

19. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'd buy it on iOS, haven't played it in forever and I never finished it...

9.99 seems like a fair price.

20. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm. Max Payne 2, on the other hand, is much closer to the level of most recent iOS shooters graphically, so if the first one does well here we'll probably see that next, and probably without much fanfare.